All About Books discussion

Reads & Challenges Archive > Agata's Very Modest List of 2013 Reads!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agata (last edited Nov 23, 2013 02:04AM) (new)

Agata Wightman | 19 comments Here's my little list, my plan was to read 30 books this year, but The Satanic Verses have somewhat tampered with that plan, although I have nearly finished it now, so there's still time to catch up! I have to say, I am very impressed by everyone's long lists, I don't think I will ever be able to read as many books as some of you do!

1. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
2. Slaughterhouse-Five byKurt Vonnegut
3. Them: Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson
4. The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
5. Sabra Zoo by Mischa Hiller
6. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
7. 1984 by George Orwell
8. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
9. Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
10. The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans
11. A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle
12. Two Pints by Roddy Doyle
13. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
14. The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
15. Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss
16. The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
17. Still Alice by Lisa Genova
18. Watch Over Me by Daniela Sacerdoti
19. The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks
20. Birds, Beasts, and Relatives by Gerald Durrell
21. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
22. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick
23. One Day by David Nicholls
24. Good Essay Writing: A Social Sciences Guide by Peter Redman and Wendy Maples
25. The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Currently reading:
26. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
27. Crossing by Andrew Xia Fukuda

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments How are you liking the 'Satanic Verses' Agata?

message 3: by Agata (new)

Agata Wightman | 19 comments Well... This is the second time I'm reading it (first time was about 10 years ago and it was a Polish translation). I remember really loving it when I read it first, but this time around, i just can't get into it, I like bits of it, but then I seem to get lost and don't know what is going on... I'm kind of surprised by my own reaction to it, cause I am a big Rushdie fan and have read most of his books! But I am determined to finish it ( I'm about 90% through now, so not long left, I would like to have it finished by the end of the week).

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Rushdie is a bit 'hit and miss' for me. I really liked Fury and The Satanic Verses by him but struggled hard with Shalimar the Clown. I was planning to read Midnight's Children some time next year. Have you read it yet?

Personally I don't re-read much, but find it interesting how much the perception of a book changes depending on who I am at the time. I've never really gone from love to hate of vice versa, but sometimes a book I deeply related to before turns out to merely be OK read the second time around.

message 5: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13139 comments Mod
Why "very modest" Agata? I see some really interesting book!

message 6: by Agata (new)

Agata Wightman | 19 comments Jenny - I have read Midnight's Children, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember much about it to be honest. I loved The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Fury, and also the two children's books that he wrote - Haroun and the Sea of Stories, and Luka and the Fire of Life.

LauraT - but some of you read as much in a month as I do in the whole year, hence "very modest"!:-)

message 7: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13139 comments Mod
You read as much as you like and as fast as you can!!!

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments You've read some great books this year, Agata - and we don't all read hundreds of books per year - some of us take the more leisurely path!

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome agata! Good luck. :-)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Quality not quantity! Some great looking books there. I don't read as fast as others here, I've read more this year than usual because I'm making regular long distance train journeys but 30 is usually a good number for me

message 11: by Agata (new)

Agata Wightman | 19 comments Definitely, I'm actually quite pleased with my reading this year, last year only managed thirteen books (I think?), so this year's 25 is an improvement already :-)

message 12: by Agata (new)

Agata Wightman | 19 comments I have finally finished The Satanic Verses! Now reading A Fine Balance (paperback) and Crossing (ebook).

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I loved A Fine Balance Agata, hope you'll enjoy it just as much!

message 14: by Agata (new)

Agata Wightman | 19 comments I've only read a few pages so far, but it's a promising start :-)