Vintage Tales discussion

Classic Book Discussion > Authors and Books in the News

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) A remarkable "inventive, brave, down-to-earth" author - Doris Lessing, died yesterday, aged 94.

Here is a tribute by Margaret Atwood

message 2: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments Sad news. To remeber her with a smile, see when she heard of her winning the nobel prize:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBODH...

message 3: by Bionic Jean (last edited Dec 06, 2013 02:04PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Nelson Mandela died yesterday on 5th December. An inspired leader and a compassionate man. Here's a tribute by Maya Angelou:

"The world has lost a friend. A giant has fallen. Nelson Mandela was a friend of mine; we first met in Egypt in 1961. I was present at his inauguration in Pretoria, South Africa. We met in the United States whenever he was visiting. I know that he had great courage and great love, enough courage to tell a friend when he or she was wrong and enough courage to love them even if they were wrong. He had the ability to forgive the apartheid guard that watched over him 27 years and invite him to his inauguration. I am grateful that we have had such a great teacher and a great friend."

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Jean wrote: "Nelson Mandela died yesterday on 5th December. An inspired leader and a compassionate man. Here's a tribute by Maya Angelou:

"The world has lost a friend. A giant has fallen. Nelso..."

Well said. A true inspiration.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) They are making Vampire Academy the Teen Ya series about vampires into a movie. The film is set to be released on valentines day. The Fault in our stars is going to be a movie too.

message 6: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) "The Invisible Woman" should be on general release "at a cinema near you soon!" as they say. It premieres in the UK next month, and I believe is already having a limited release in the States.

The film is about Charles Dickens, specifically about his relationship with Nellie Ternan, and is based on The Invisible Woman by Claire Tomalin. It start Ralph Fiennes as Dickens.

Here's the Wikipedia entry.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) I will be first in line for this one Jean :)

message 8: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) LOL! Right behind you :)