The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

Virginia Woolf's writing

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I read with interest in another thread that one group member loves Virginia Woolf's diaries and letters but didn't enjoy her novels.

This is just the same as my experience! I first came across Virginia Woolf when I read the biography of her written by her nephew Quentin Bell. I found her such a fascinating character and feel she is a great role model. I've read and enjoyed her essays, criticism and letters & diaries but I just can't get on with her novels. I have never managed to even read beyond the first page of any of them.

Has anyone else in the group had this experience? Or if you love her novels what is it about them that makes them special for you?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 584 comments Mod
This might be a road in for me because I did finish Mrs. Dalloway but didn't fancy it and then everything else I have turned over hasn't held my interest. But I must force myself to get on with it.

I have read a couple of her literary essays which I DID admire.

message 3: by Hoji (new)

Hoji | 5 comments I've been trying to read her biography of Roger Fry and finding it a bit dry (please forgive the rhyme). I am not one to go by on fiction, I don't generally enjoy reading it. None the less, I've bought many of her works and do hope to read them all.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 584 comments Mod
I remember, in college, "A Sketch of the Past" from Moments of Being and Non-Being, having quite an effect on me...

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (k8mcgowan) | 1 comments I actually fell in love with the essays first, and still rank them above her fiction (though I love her fiction as well). She's just such a curious personality--so much of her education was self-directed--and the ideas that she gets at really fascinate me.

I'm sure you've had the experience while reading an author's work of thinking, "But I thought I was the only one who,felt that way!" I have moments like that while reading almost anything she wrote.