9D 2013-14 discussion

SSR Check up

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liemberger (new)

Liemberger | 5 comments Mod
First, list the books that you have read so far this year for SSR. Indicate next to the book whether you finished it or not.

Next, list the book that you are currently reading for SSR. Indicate next to the book what page you are on and how many pages are in the book.

Finally, in a paragraph of 6-8 sentences, evaluate your experience with SSR so far this year. For example:

-Do you make sure that you always have a book to read? Is it the same book, or do you hop from book to book?
-Do you read for the full fifteen minutes every day?
-Have you started to read outside of school?
-Have you found a book that you actually enjoy reading?
-What can you do to make sure that you make the most of your SSR experience for the rest of the year?

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor P | 5 comments I am only on my first SSR book which is The Last Song. I am currently on page 173 out of 405. I always carry my book with me in my bag all day. I read the same book because me personally I would get confused if I hopped from book to book. I read the full fifteen minutes everyday because I really enjoy this book. I don't really read outside of school. I really enjoy reading The Last Song because I feel like it is very relateable to teenagers. To make the most of my SSR experience I can not get distracted easily when people are talking and I can not talk during SSR so I can really focus on reading my book.

message 3: by Norrasia (new)

Norrasia B. | 5 comments So far this year I have only began reading one book which is The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. However, I did not finish the entire book. I am currently on page 186 out of 239 pages in the book. I plan on getting to finish the end of the book very soon.
During SSR I always have the same book on me so I can stay consistent on topics,so I won't get confused. I carry " The Notebook" in my book-bag all the time just in case I have spear time to read in school.Most of the times I read for the whole 15 minutes in order to try to finish the book a bit faster. I currently don't read a lot outside of school because reading is not one of the top activities I enjoy, but I plan on changing that soon. Sometimes it can be very hard for me to find a book that's on a topic I like and is attention grabbing. Therefore, I just don't read as much as others. For the rest of the year I plan on using SSR more usefully. I want to try to read more books through out the year so I can expand my knowledge and vocabulary. I even want to try to explore different genres like science fiction. I want to stay focus while in SSR so I can get my book read faster.

message 4: by Dominique (new)

Dominique M | 6 comments I am only on my first SSR book this year, The Last Song. I am currently on page 245 out of 405.
During SSR, I make sure I always have my book to read. I keep it in my schoolbag and take it out when the teacher tells us to you. I'm only reading one book right now, but after i'm done this one I will be sure to bring in another book. I have not read outside of school yet because I only like focusing on one book at a time. Reading this way helps me absorb the book better and understand what is going on clearer. Yes, I have found a book I enjoy reading. I enjoy reading The Last Song because it is one of my favorite movies and books. I read this book for the full 15 minutes everyday. I can make the most out of my SSR experience this year by always having my book with me and reading it the whole 15 finutes that we have. I try to zone out of everyone else and focus on what I am reading and I plan to do this all year, and for the next 3 years of high school to come.

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Sophia P. | 8 comments I'm only on my first SSR book which is Dear John. Im on page 230 of a total of 288 pages. I always have my book in my school bag and i always take it out when the teacher asks us too. I do not read outside of school because i have a lot of activities after school and lots of homework to do, so i never really have time to read. I always read for the full fifteen minutes in class. I never hop from book to book because i need to just focus on one book. Dear John is an amazing book and i really enjoy reading it. I plan to make the most of my SSR experience by really focusing on my book and taking interest into it.

message 6: by Yiana (new)

Yiana S | 4 comments So far this year I've read two books for SSR which are "The Hunger Games", and "The Giver". I am still reading The Giver and I am currently on page 148 Out of 179 Pages.

During SSR I read the same book so that I won't lose interest in the book I've already began to read. Most of the time I do read for the full fifteen minutes everyday unless I'm finishing class work or any missing assignments. Sometimes I do read outside of school whenever I have time to do so, I'll read for fifteen-twenty minutes. It can be difficult finding a book that's actually interesting to me, but the book I am currently reading is quite interesting because its a story about a boy's life, his lifestyle is much different from the way I live, which makes me wonder what life would be like for me if I lived the way the main character does. I plan to make the most of my SSR experience by reading almost everyday for the full fifteen minutes, not talking during SSR and really staying focus on one book.

message 7: by Scott (last edited Nov 25, 2013 01:37PM) (new)

Scott P. | 5 comments So far this year I've read two books for SSR which are "DIARY OF A WIMPY KID" AND "THE ABSOLUTE TRUE DIARY OF A PART TIME INDIAN". I am still reading part time Indian and I am on page 133.

During SSR I read the same the book because it is very interesting. Sometimes read the full time if I don't have a lot of homework. I never read outside of school because I be busy. The book I am reading now is actually becoming interesting. get as much of my work done in class so I can have more time to read my book. I always make sure I have a book to read because if I don't I will lose some participation points I think. I might start reading outside of school so I can have more time

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren A | 3 comments I am only on my first book for SSR. I am reading "Perks Of Being A Wallflower". I am on page 167 of 213. I don't read a lot out side of school because I have homework and studying to do. but I always have my book in my bookbag and I always read for the 15 minutes. I don't ever hop from book to book because I like to read one book at a time, I Really like perks of being a wallflower. I think it's very interesting an a lot of people could relate to it. What I could do to make the most of SSR this year is to read the whole time, and not talk

message 9: by Khadijak (new)

Khadijak | 4 comments So far the book that i read for SSR is The curious Incident of The dog in the night-time. I am currently still reading this book I am on page 151 out of 221.I make sure that I always have a book to read ,I read the same book consistently.I read the full 15 minutes depending on how interesting my book is at the moment.I don't read outside of school mostly because I am doing a different task. For know the book that I am reading is okay. But I want to finish this book before I go on to reading another one. To make the most out of my SSR reading time this year I will start reading outside of school to be more ahead in my reading and to find a book that I genuinely enjoy.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments I have read the books "House of Hades"-finished, "Mockingjay"-finished, "The Mark of Athena"-finished. I am currently reading "Ready or Not" by Meg Cabot. I am on page 53 and the book has 203 pages in it.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments My experience with SSR has been okay. I have been reading enjoyable books so far and sometimes I find SSR helpful because I can do work that I have to do. The books I read were very interesting and I have been enjoying SSR so far.

message 12: by Moleena (new)

Moleena H | 4 comments The book that I have began reading and is still currently reading is Abandon by Meg Cabot. I am on page 168 and there are 325 pages in total.

During SSR I always make sure I have a book to read. I don't hop from book to book, I stay on the same book everyday. I do read for the full fifteen minutes. I have not started reading outside of school because I am always busy doing something else. Abandon is one of the books that I have actually enjoyed reading. To make sure that I make the most of my SSR experience for the rest of the year, I will continue to read for the full fifteen minutes.

message 13: by Dajhe (new)

Dajhe P. | 4 comments So far this semester , I have read 4 Bluford High Books from the series of Bluford High School ! I finished all of my SSR books about a week ago and I found every single last one so interesting.i am starting a new one very soon, but I'm not sure which one yet. I actually went to the library to see how many Bluford High books there are but no one know's so I'll just be reading the ones the free library have! I plan to read al of them one day. All of the Bluford High Series teach different lessons it depends on the title of the book. But my last one I was reading was called Secrets In the Shadow which was about two teenager(boy&girl) they will in love but had to move away! The boy didn't know to tell the girl so he just brought her knew things until it was time for him to go. He took his anger out on a old man & actually killed him but not on purpose. He wished everything could go back & as he started to tell the truth better opportunities came even though he still had to face time in prison. The lesson that was taught is to let others know about your upcoming feelings for present feelings so they could know what's going on and also when you get others involve it helps release more stress & better things come & go! Be patient with time & god/ Allah wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle! BE BRAVE! BE STRONG!