I Read Therefore I Am discussion

Books and Reading > The Impac Longlist

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee This is a very long Long list http://www.theguardian.com/books/book...

message 2: by Laurel (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
There's some interesting looking books on here, I like the way the longlist is chosen - much more democratic and less 'establishment' - appeals to the closet Marxist in me lol!

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee Yes it's a good way to nominate entrants - I see The Testament of Mary has found it's way into the list ?

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Yes it's had some really good reviews - I did kind of like it, it wasn't really bad but it just was kind of lukewarm - nothing I could get worked up about so I don't really get all the rave reviews and award nominations.

message 5: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments A very interesting list. Some I've read and some are on my TBR and some look very interesting. I agree its a much more democratic way of distributing awards and I bet it leads to some unusual winners. I'd love Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn to win something I thought it was one of the most original books I've read in years.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Several books that are on my TBR pile are in this list. I am a tad worried, though - of the four I've spotted that I've read (it's late and I haven't looked through it properly!), I was disappointed with all of them. A Death in the Family was self-indulgent, overly long and mostly unnecessary; A Possible Life was 5 reasonable short stories that someone tried to shoe-horn a theme into without any great success, making the whole package ultimately unsatisfactory; The Testament of Mary was a great concept that failed to realise its potential; and The Prisoner of Heaven, though better than its predecessor, was too casual in the way it tried to extricate the story from the mess of said predecessor.

message 7: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Ouch, I have to say Toby's Room by Pat Barker was her poorest novel and may We Be Forgiven, which I read recently was a trial and so memorable that I can remember nothing about it except that the ending was better than the rest of the novel. There's no accounting for taste!

message 8: by Laurel (new)

The Snow Child and The Orphan Master's Son were good, and The Fault in our Stars was ok but I really don't get the enthusiasm for The Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out of a Window an Disappeared - that was either really badly written or really badly translated!

message 9: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I really enjoyed that one Laurel! I even recommended it to a few people.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Quite a few of these are either in my TBR mountain or to acquire list - but I've only read 3:
The Testament of Mary and A Possible Life - both of which were rather disappointing and The Care of Wooden Floors which I really enjoyed.

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Hilary wrote: "I really enjoyed that one Laurel! I even recommended it to a few people."

Must just be me then - something about the writing really jarred but it could have been the translation. Glad you enjoyed it anyway, I liked the idea, it was funny, I just kept getting put off the story by the writing.

message 12: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments @ Laurel no it's not you Laurel, some of the people I recommended it to liked it, some hated it. Everyone's different, that what makes this group so interesting. We all seem to have different favourites and different opinions.

message 13: by Laurel (new)

We will all agree on that at least ;)

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Absolutely, it's so interesting to read other people's views on things - sometimes it makes you see things you hadn't picked up on. Art and literature are so subjective, you'll never get 100% agreement on anything - and that's what makes things interesting :)

A wise man* once said "there is no such thing as good or bad taste, it's just your taste, or mine"

*Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen, actually, who I love but others may not :)

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee I will just type 3 words: Mason & Dixon :0)

message 16: by Laurel (new)

LOL!!!!!!

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) :)

message 18: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Wry laughter!!

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee Knowing look

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 304 comments I finished the '100 year old man' a couple of months ago and I wasn't too keen on it either.

It was okay, it wasn't terrible but it reminded me of the tractors in the Ukrainian book (which I also wasn't keen on). I felt that it tried to be humorous in a naive kind of way that I didn't feel worked - at least not for me. (Not sure if I've explained that very well.)

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee I wasn't too keen on the Ukrainian Tractor book either.