The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > newbie in exile

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments hello! This is my second day on this website, and my first group. It's always a little scary being the new kid on the playground. I currently reside in Iowa, my true home is however in Ithaca, NY . . .I just hope I don't have to be away for 10 years. I think I might at least be moving back upstate NY in about a year.

Until then it looks like I have an awful lot of reading to keep me busy. Anyone else out here in the great plains of the midwest?

message 2: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Hi there Jessica. I'm far far from you in the Caribbean, but no distance at all in this group.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Hello Jessica, and welcome to the playground. I'm from New Mexico but on here, everyone's just a click away. I expect we'll see you on the slide and the swings in no time.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments Petra X wrote: "Hi there Jessica. I'm far far from you in the Caribbean, but no distance at all in this group."

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just took a quick glance at your profile, wow, what a rich and varied life! I have no advice on how to get teenagers to do their own picking up, as I still struggle with putting away my own laundry!

I added one of your currently reading books to my to be read list, (like I need to add to that list!) but I think I'm going to try to do the summer challenge.

See you around in cyberspace! And thanks for the (passive) recommendation.

message 5: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Hey! We like new playmates around here!

message 6: by Sharon (last edited Jun 15, 2009 08:01PM) (new)

Sharon Ellis | 176 comments Hi Jessica,
You are not a stranger or alone. There are lots of nice people here - it will start to get familiar and help you not to miss NY so much. What is the most exciting or interesting thing you've discovered about Iowa so far? ( ps - as I was reading your letter, I got to ITHACA and thought "What foreign country is that and which continent in the world?" then you said NY - ha ha!
:) Sharon

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra Hi from Arizona. Your TBR list will grow unbelievably with this group. Welcome.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Welcome!!

Ithaca, NY eh? I used to live in Athens/Sayre PA area which is pretty close. I have relatives in the Endicott area.

I slightly miss the area but I'm not too far away..just 4 hours so I still go visit once in a while.

Anyways..welcome!! You will be a regular here in no time!

message 9: by Morgan P (new)

Morgan P | 172 comments Welcome to the group! I'm in the midwest, Missouri to be exact. So not too far away. :-)

message 10: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Hi Jessica! Welcome to TNBBC! What kind of books do you like the most?

message 11: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Jessica, hi and welcome!
I grew up in Fishkill NY, and had a girlfriend who went to college in Ithaca... though I have never been there myself!

message 12: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Jessica, Welcome!!

I live in Rome, Italy (not New York) but my brother went to Ithaca College. Great place... he just loved it there.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I'm jealous that you live in Rome. I went there 2 summers ago and vowed that I would live there at some point in time.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments Wow, I went a way for just a couple days and people have been talking, how nice!

Yeah, upstate new york is full of greek and roman place names. Ithaca, Syracuse, Homer, Romulus . . .

It is a beautiful place and I hope to make it back there.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments Atishay wrote: "Hi Jessica! Welcome to TNBBC! What kind of books do you like the most?"

Books . . .

I used to consider myself a primarily fiction reader, but if you look at my currently reading stuff its two non-fiction books. I've been trucking through them lately.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite kind of book. How about you?

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments Hayes wrote: "Hi Jessica, Welcome!!

I live in Rome, Italy (not New York) but my brother went to Ithaca College. Great place... he just loved it there."

When was your brother there?

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments Lori wrote: "Jessica, hi and welcome!
I grew up in Fishkill NY, and had a girlfriend who went to college in Ithaca... though I have never been there myself!
"

It is a wonderful place, go if you ever get the chance!

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Hi Jessica!
I am on the coast of Calif. and have only been to the New York, New York part of the state, and only flown over the midwest...but some of our great authors are from there and alot of intricate plots take place in those seemingly quiet, friendly areas!

Anyway, welcome, everyone has been great to me and this is my first group,too.(online or off)

Looking forward to your posts!

message 19: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Jamie wrote: "I'm jealous that you live in Rome. I went there 2 summers ago and vowed that I would live there at some point in time. "

It's a great place to visit, but...

It is beautiful, but really hectic!

message 20: by Hayes (last edited Jun 30, 2009 11:35PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Jessica wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Hi Jessica, Welcome!!

I live in Rome, Italy (not New York) but my brother went to Ithaca College. Great place... he just loved it there.

When was your brother there?"

He finished high school in 75, so from 75-79, but did a post grad in 1980.