Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
Specific List Books > Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay... 2010 edition?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 17, 2013 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandy | 17 comments I'm scanning through my 2010 edition of 1001 Books, and I'm surprised that I can't find The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. The lists here say it was added in the 2008 UK edition. Does it not appear in the 2010 US edition as well?

Tasha | 84 comments No. I have the 2010 edition as well and it is not in there. I had planned on just reading the books from this edition, but it seems to be missing some good ones, so I have expanded a little.

Stephanie "Jedigal" (jedigal) | 271 comments Yep, my spreadsheet says last listed in the 2008 (US) edition. If you're willing to expand I definitely recommend it, I loved this book.

Sandy | 17 comments Thanks for the responses. I'm wondering, how many others only appeared in the 2008 edition? I've come across two others so far:

Small Island
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

Sandy

Sandy | 17 comments Found three more.

The Kindly Ones
Animal's People
The Reluctant Fundamentalist

I'm done the book now, so these six are all I will find. Does anyone have a list that shows which books appear in which of the four different editions so I can see the complete list of those that were added in 2008 and removed in 2010?

Sandy

message 6: by Tej (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tej | 120 comments I was so annoyed when this book only showed up on one edition. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

There were a total of six books that showed up in 2008 and were immediately dropped by 2010, and they've all been listed above. There was just one book that first showed up in 2010 but was dropped in 2012: Invisible by Paul Auster. So far only one book was on the list, got dropped, and then was re-added. That was Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

Sandy | 17 comments Thanks, Tej! Having just finished reading all 1300ish summaries from the 2006 and 2010 editions, I'm off to Google Books to see if I can find some preview pages of those six above in the 2008 edition. Come to think of it, I could do the same with the 2012 edition. My local library doesn't have the UK editions.

I sense more than a little OCD present here!

Tasha | 84 comments Tej wrote: "I was so annoyed when this book only showed up on one edition. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

There were a total of six books that showed up in 2008 and were immediately dropped by 20..."

Invisible was pretty good.

message 9: by Tej (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tej | 120 comments Sandy wrote: "Thanks, Tej! Having just finished reading all 1300ish summaries from the 2006 and 2010 editions, I'm off to Google Books to see if I can find some preview pages of those six above in the 2008 edit..."
Oh, Sandy, you have no idea. I know they have drugs for it but then I'd be so disorganized. Not to mention all the extra time I wouldn't know what to do with!