Dactyl Review discussion

Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) | 51 comments Mod
Welcome everyone and thanks for joining the group.

Please use this thread to introduce yourself, and post whatever you'd like to share with the group.

message 2: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments My name is Lilo. Please read my GR profile. I am too lazy (or rather too short of time) to repeat myself.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 9 comments I'm Jim Snowden, author of two books, one of which is on the group list. I also review literary magazines for The Review Review, which keeps me in free journals. I'm also an amateur astronomer, a history buff, a heartbreaker, a dream maker, and 3/4 of an acre.

message 4: by Henry (new)

I'm Henry Martin, author of five books.

Lately I've been spending more time reading than writing. Over the years, some of my poems and short fiction were featured in various places online. I maintain an irregularly updated blog, ride motorcycles in the wilderness, and spend too much time on Goodreads.

message 5: by Narda (new)

Narda Leal | 7 comments Hello to all,

My name is Narda, I live in Houston Tx. For the past five years if I'm not traveling, I'm busy updating and remodeling my current home. My love of books and of learning new things has brought me to GR I've always had a love for writing but have not taken the leap into The Writers World. My passions are many, they include cooking, the outdoors, good wine, traveling, homeopathic healing and botany, just to name a few. I look forward to learning from this group, and chiming in every now and then to our future discussions!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 9 comments Narda wrote: "...My passions are many, they include cooking, the outdoors, good wine, traveling, homeopathic healing and botany..."

Botany, eh? How do you pursue that interest in the city?

message 7: by Narda (new)

Narda Leal | 7 comments Jim,

Very very carefully haha,, seriously our weather is so Hot in the summer but believe it or not I am still able to maintain a few of my plants indoors that is.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 9 comments Narda wrote: "Jim,

Very very carefully haha,, seriously our weather is so Hot in the summer but believe it or not I am still able to maintain a few of my plants indoors that is."

What do you grow? In our place we have a small collection of herbs and a peace lily plant.

message 9: by Henry (new)

Okay, I'll jump in. During the growing season, I grow all of our produce for the table. Unfortunately, winters in NH kill almost everything off. I do bring some herbs inside the house though.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 9 comments Henry wrote: "Okay, I'll jump in. During the growing season, I grow all of our produce for the table. Unfortunately, winters in NH kill almost everything off. I do bring some herbs inside the house though."That's some impressive gardening, much more extensive than an apartment dweller like me can manage.

message 11: by Henry (new)

I have almost three acres to play with, although I'm only using a small fraction of it for the gardens. I also have flower gardens and a couple of fruit trees.

message 12: by Narda (new)

Narda Leal | 7 comments Jim, I have various house plants to purify the air I do have four year old bamboo plants that i have been growing since little, in my kitchen I have a cluster of herbs that are growing quite well, they include Lemon Balm, Oregano, Basil, Lavender, and Mint. Aside from that I collect various medicinal herbs for different maladies, I really believe that Nature can help us cure the body that's why it gifts us with so many different herbs and spices, and that's what I love to learn about. For example Turmeric is an Amazing spice that aids in reliving and even preventing the common cold, Garlic is a natural antibiotic, Ginger in all it's forms powdered, or fresh can help with digestion and is also a natural expectorant.

Henry, I am truly jealous, of you ;) it's has always been a dream of mine to start my own fruit and vegetable garden, having land is Amazing especially given how rampant GMO's are nowadays must be Nice!

message 13: by Henry (new)

No GMOs in our diet.

Talking of Ginger and Garlic, and... for colds, I drink an infusion made from fresh ginger, rosemary and Cayenne pepper, sweetened with honey. It tastes bad, but it does wonders.

I thought garlic was antimicrobial. Turmeric should be a wonderful antioxidant.

message 14: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 8 comments Thank you so much Henry for inviting me to the group. My work is literary fiction, I am an artist, poet and writer. Lovely to be here!

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 9 comments Uvi wrote: "Thank you so much Henry for inviting me to the group. My work is literary fiction, I am an artist, poet and writer. Lovely to be here!"
Pleased to meet you. What sort of art do you do?

message 16: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Henry wrote: "No GMOs in our diet.

Talking of Ginger and Garlic, and... for colds, I drink an infusion made from fresh ginger, rosemary and Cayenne pepper, sweetened with honey. It tastes bad, but it does won..."

I think we should have an extra discussion thread for growing organic vegetables and talking about home remedies and alternative medicine. Many other groups have what they call either a General Discussion Page or a Break Out Area. And since some of the members here are obviously interested in food-growing and home remedies, why not have an off-topic thread?

We live on 18 acres, have a huge vegetable garden, 2 small green houses (that don't work too well), and a little sun room for winter growing of herbs and tomatoes, and raising plants from seed in spring. We are also into natural remedies. Would be nice to exchange experiences.

message 17: by Henry (new)

Lilo wrote: "I think we should have an extra discussion thread for growing organic vegetables and talking about home remedies and alternative medicine."

I started one for you.

message 18: by Narda (new)

Narda Leal | 7 comments Hello to everyone!

Henry, could you please tell me how to find the discussion board you created for Lilo? I'm interested in joining it.

Per my previous comment regarding herbs and natural remedies, yes Garlic is in fact a natural antibiotic it works in the body just as strong as a medicinal antibiotic, if not better it is a life force it helps with lowering cholesterol, killing off any microbial parasites that might be living in our digestive system, I also Love using the same concoction of Ginger, Cayenne pepper, Turmeric, 8oz of boiling water with lemon and organic molasses, kills anything I might be coming up with FAST! The kicker is I'll take two cloves of garlic and mash them into tiny pieces and add it to the tea, works every time. Hopefully one day I can say I own a little land to cultivate and take advantage of all of natures bounty! Meantime, Henry and Lilo enjoy your land for me!

message 19: by Lilo (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:03PM) (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Narda wrote: "Hello to everyone!

Henry, could you please tell me how to find the discussion board you created for Lilo? I'm interested in joining it.

Per my previous comment regarding herbs and natural remed..."

Click on "Group Home" (right upper area on screen, under DACTYL'S REVIEWS). From there you can find all discussion threads.

I agree that garlic is a great antibiotic. However, are you sure that it is fairly reliable to guard against catching a bug? This is most important for me. I have had 10 pneumonias during my life, and I have been critically ill (with flu, bronchitis, and allegedly fungal infection of the lungs) for 4 mos in 2012 and again all last winter. We have discontinued going to stores and anywhere else where I could catch a bug, during cold/flu season. We have someone to do the shopping for us. However, at times, my husband needs some tools or parts he has to pick out himself. So, whenever he goes to town, he dopes himself with zinc and also with garlic. We figured that if the garlic wouldn't be strong enough to fend off germs, it might at least keep people in a safe distance. :-) Seriously, do you have any experiences that prove the effectiveness of garlic in this respect?

message 20: by Henry (new)

Not to be the party breaker, but let's move that particular discussion to the appropriate thread.

Thank you.

message 21: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Henry wrote: "Not to be the party breaker, but let's move that particular discussion to the appropriate thread.

Thank you."

I definitely want to. I just wasn't sure if Narda would find it. She had trouble finding it before.

message 22: by Henry (new)

I sent her the link.

message 23: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 8 comments Jim wrote: "Uvi wrote: "Thank you so much Henry for inviting me to the group. My work is literary fiction, I am an artist, poet and writer. Lovely to be here!"
Pleased to meet you. What sort of art do you do?"

I do a lot of different types and try my hands on various mediums. Olid and watercolor, bronze, ceramic and paper sculpture, even animation... The best way to check out my art it to hop into my Art Site or my Blog

message 24: by Kit (new)

Kit Hi. I just joined this group. Literary fiction needs all the support it can get. I have 2 published books, and am working on two more. I also have a stage play out there making the rounds. I don't like doing the same thing over and over, so I mess with fiction, nonfiction and metafiction.

I live in Seattle, and am a mom and gramma who has a whole life behind me of pediatric oncology nursing and business/management consulting. Also am a veteran of the antiwar movement of the 1960s. Couldn't afford to become a writer until late in life. :)

I look forward to enjoying participation in this group! Thanks for getting it going.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 9 comments Kit wrote: "Hi. I just joined this group. Literary fiction needs all the support it can get. I have 2 published books, and am working on two more. I also have a stage play out there making the rounds. I don't ..." Nice to see someone else from the Seattle area. Greetings.

message 26: by Henry (last edited Nov 29, 2013 05:57AM) (new)

Welcome!

Kit, I just looked at your profile - David R. Godine - that's awesome. I have a few rejections from them :) Congratulations!

The publisher has a warehouse about twenty miles from where I live, an old red New England barn-style building in the middle of nowhere, with the bright white letters David R. Godine. It was awesome from him to accept Black Sparrow Press' titles after BSP closed.

message 27: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) Hi my name is Marc Nash and I'm a compulsive literary modernist which makes me either anachronistic or extinct.

I've written 4 novels, all with unconventional narrative structures and with language as the highest value in all of them. I've also written 3 collections of flash fiction which enable me top be even more experimental, for example there is a story composed of 100 single word sentences or another which is called "A Series Of False Endings" which is exactly that, no beginning and no middle to speak of...

Right now I'm using visual and digital means to drill down to the alphabet DNA of words and to display more visual & mutated texts (example here if you're interested) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6pFwk...

I review for Booksquawk and will cross post a few of the more literary titles to DR once I find the 200 word quotes from them!

I hold very strong views on all things literary and look forward to debating with you all in the group.

Big thanks to Henry who introduced me to DR via a post he made on GR

message 28: by Dina (new)

Dina Desveaux | 1 comments Hmmm....Just wondering if the group is still going. I haven't seen new activity lately...Dina

PS I've reviewed several works of literary fiction, have published one novel, a couple of short stories and am currently in a cantankerous mood with the publisher who wants to publish my 2nd novel only if I remove something I'm deeply attached to...

message 29: by Victoria (new)

Victoria N Alexander (vnalexander) | 5 comments Mod
Dina wrote: "Hmmm....Just wondering if the group is still going. I haven't seen new activity lately...Dina

PS I've reviewed several works of literary fiction, have published one novel, a couple of short storie..."

Hi Dina. I don't keep the GR group current, but go over to dactylreview.org to participate there