Children's Books discussion

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #2)
This topic is about The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle
Newbery Archive > Winner (no Honors) from 1923 - The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6159 comments Mod
The Winner of the Newbery for 1923 was The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle. There were no Honor books recorded that year.

message 2: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (last edited Nov 20, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

Did you read it? Do you remember any of the ideas discussed in the group when we read it together? Did you write a review that you would be willing to copy to this thread?

This thread will not close - feel free to add thoughts, questions, etc. now or in the future.

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I've never read this book! I have probably only been influenced by the movie, so I think I'll get a copy and try to squeeze it into my schedule.

message 4: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Well, my vague memory of the book doesn't have nearly as much singing & dancing as the movie! I also remember enjoying it. I should try to read it again myself - please post here, when you begin, if you do find time. so I can join you then.

message 5: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

This is actually book two of the series, the first being The Story of Doctor Dolittle which was already so beloved that it didn't need the boost from the Newbery committee, according to Newbery Medal Books 1922-1955.

message 6: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 6879 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "This is actually book two of the series, the first being The Story of Doctor Dolittle which was already so beloved that it didn't need the boost from the Newbery committee, according ..."

I think the story has been (sadly) sanitised, so if you want to read the orignal, you need to get an older second hand copy. I really HATE when that happens, absolutely despise it.

message 7: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Right.