Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

Buddy Reads > The Gabriel Hounds, the covers

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Thought it might be better to have a separate thread for those who don't want tons of images in the discussions. I do love looking at the various covers the book has had over the years. This is the cover I have.

Love the old castle on the hill.

message 2: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Not sure about this, but there is still the old castle in this cover.

message 3: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments This looks just ORANGE in the smaller sizes on screen, but blown up it's really rather creepy. And the dogs are in it.

message 4: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I do hope that's not supposed to be the hero in the background.

message 5: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Dunno about this one. Awfully turquoise.

message 6: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments This is my favorite. I think I used to have a dress like that :p

message 7: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Now, the ebook covers on the new UK editions. Really? Isn't our heroine 22 and its the late 60s?

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Here's two more:

message 9: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Thanks Hannah.

message 10: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments I love seeing all of them. I'm reading the first one, the Charles Geer, library copy.

message 11: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Diane Lynn wrote: "I love seeing all of them. I'm reading the first one, the Charles Geer, library copy."

They are fun. Like th garnish one Hannah found. That sets it up nicely.

message 12: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Yes, it does. Is this a reread for you, Misfit? I wonder who is behind the pillar in the 4th one. I've read the first 4 chapters and I don't think I've met whoever it is.

message 13: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Yes it's a reread, but I see I've forgotten a lot. I'm pretty sure I recall who ends up with who, but that's it.

message 14: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments I have the British edition. Very different from all the other covers.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading the orange one with the dog. I just don't picture them with the feathery tail. I should look up the breed. The red dress cover looks very Italian to me. I'm guessing the guy behind the pillar is John Letham.

message 16: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Judith wrote: "I have the British edition. Very different from all the other covers."

Do you have a link to your cover?

message 17: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Jeannette wrote: "I'm reading the orange one with the dog. I just don't picture them with the feathery tail. I should look up the breed. The red dress cover looks very Italian to me. I'm guessing the guy behind ..."

That orange cover has the best picture of the dog. That was a good picture of a saluki you posted in the other thread. I don't like the way the orange cover makes the landscape look so barren, but it does convey that it is hot. I also wonder if that might be John Letham behind the pillar, but he is supposed to be about 24, tall and thin. That guy looks older than early 20's and the book cover wouldn't lie, right? ;)

message 18: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Misfit wrote: "Judith wrote: "I have the British edition. Very different from all the other covers."

Do you have a link to your cover?"

Misfit, my British edition is the 7th cover with the vintage clothing. All the new British paperback editions have the heroines dressed in vintage. At one time I also had number 5, but it fell apart..that was a cheap paperback edition with bad glue. :(

message 19: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I was looking at those vintage edition covers of her other books. Some of them are so off-base of what's inside. I wonder if the designers just decided on fifties clothing since most of them were written then. Look at the outfit on the cover of Stormy Petrel. Seriously, when you're trekking all over a tiny island?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

A lot of these covers are really just for show! lol Can you imagine Christy climbing the rocky river bank in any of the dresses she's shown wearing? I think the best covers feature the setting, without the heroine. That being said, I really do love some of the covers that ignore the details.

message 21: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 18 comments Not to mention that the book makes a point of saying she's wearing trousers and dressing like a man in every other chapter. And, she's been wearing the same clothes for three days now.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks for posting all the covers, alot of fun to see the different variations. My favorite, though not period correct (I'll trust you on this one as I haven't read it) is the British version with the blue cover. I love the graphics!

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Susan, I love the graphics also, all the new paperback British editions have the vintage covers

message 24: by Janetje (new)

Janetje | 86 comments Misfit wrote: "Dunno about this one. Awfully turquoise.

"

I love seeing all the covers. So different! This one looks sort of familiar. I may have read it from the library a long time ago. And I mean 20 years or more. When was this one published?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Misfit wrote: "Thought it might be better to have a separate thread for those who don't want tons of images in the discussions. I do love looking at the various covers the book has had over the years. This is the..."

Thanks for posting these. When picking up my copies at used bookstores they often do not have covers. Love seeing the original photos planned for these books.

message 26: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I love vintage covers.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments I have the cover in message 4.

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori | 91 comments Misfit: My copy is the one in message 5. I love vintage books too and I love the cover art! Thank you for letting us look at these. The cover in message 1 may have been done by the same artist that did the artwork for my copy of This Rough Magic because it was painted with the same palette.

message 29: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Lori wrote: "Misfit: My copy is the one in message 5. I love vintage books too and I love the cover art! Thank you for letting us look at these. The cover in message 1 may have been done by the same artist that..."

I want all the vintage covers :)

message 30: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Unfortunately I only have a modern cover on my Fawcett Crest paperback. I can't even find a copy of this cover on Google or Amazon, but the girl on the cover painting looks like one of those models who's been photoshopped to make her skinnier and then she just looks weird, like she's put together wrong. :p Plus the binding is falling apart and I'm annoyed with it. I covet the red cover that Misfit likes, or the orange one.

message 31: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Misfit wrote: "Dunno about this one. Awfully turquoise.

"

This is the one I have - and I definitely had a dress just like it!

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 104 comments I have cover #3 but I jumped when I saw #4 because that is the edition I read when I was a teenager and read this for the first time. I was shocked how well I remembered it--isn't the brain a strange thing!

message 33: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments It is! I scrolled back up to look at which covers you were mentioning, Sara, and #1 jumped out at me. It was the hardback cover I had on my original book, from my teen years, and I still have it - but it's so tattered that I don't actually read it, anymore, and I'd forgotten that I still own it!

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 104 comments How neat to still have it, though!

message 35: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Sara wrote: "How neat to still have it, though!"

I know! I'm fairly ruthless about disposing of clutter, but that does NOT include winnowing my books!

message 36: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments I know I used to have that turquoise cover paperback (#5), but I can't remember if I gave it away when I purchased the newer paperback ... which is now falling apart. :p Maybe I'll go recheck my Mary Stewart bookshelf. Yes, she has a bookshelf in my home, though she shares it with some other historical fiction authors. :)

message 37: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments My Mary Stewarts share a shelf with Jane Austen and Elizabeth Goudge. The next shelf and a half is for Georgette Heyers, mysteries on the left, miscellaneous in the middle, and historicals on the right. But they do tend to spill over into the Wentworths and Allinghams on the third shelf...

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 104 comments lol. I have my books alphabetized. I'm pretty sure Mary Stewart is sharing space with Steinbeck.

message 39: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited May 10, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Sara wrote: "lol. I have my books alphabetized. I'm pretty sure Mary Stewart is sharing space with Steinbeck."

Mine are alphabetical as well. & a separate "planning to read this year"shelf. & a guest room shelf. & a shelf in the living room for books I don't mind loaning out. Still have to tackle my kids' books. Edit;& two different cook bookshelves. That sounds like I have a lot of cook books, but I don't. I weeded out most of the ones that I don't use this year.

Going back to number 4 - I don't normally like this series of covers, but I like this one. Simple & elegant. If I had my choice though, I would pick the first one Hannah found.

message 40: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 180 comments I have the first cover, the castle on the hill.

message 41: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 180 comments Also, I saw something about where to comment on the buddy read but I can't find it. All I find is the really old buddy read comments. I am not very good at getting around on these groups if someone can help. Thanks.

message 42: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited May 10, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Bobbie wrote: "Also, I saw something about where to comment on the buddy read but I can't find it. All I find is the really old buddy read comments. I am not very good at getting around on these groups if someone..."

You can click on "Discussions" in the group information at the top right-hand corner of your screen display on this page, or here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_...

Then scroll down to the "Buddy Reads" topic and you should see the list of threads for The Gabriel Hounds. Let me know if you have any trouble. They are really old threads, by the way, so you're probably in the right place. We'll be adding new posts to those old threads, rather than creating new threads. The old discussion is kind of interesting to read over.

message 43: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Sara wrote: "lol. I have my books alphabetized. I'm pretty sure Mary Stewart is sharing space with Steinbeck."

The rest of my books are alphabetized, but I keep the authors I have complete sets for (and are obviously my favorites!) separately and sort of together. And the children's books are in a separate area, too. And my cook books are in the kitchen in an old cupboard/shelf thingy! With casseroles underneath them, of course.

message 44: by Jill (new)

Jill Collen | 7 comments There is another Orange one -a different picture but similar in style. - less Martian landscape, with the two dogs in the foreground. I don’t know how to post it in html
I found it at a thrift store Coronet 12th impression 1990.
My mum’s set were all Hodder paperbacks from the 60s with a base colour for the binding (NCW = grey,TRM=pink,Ivy Tree=palegreen)than a picture of the heroine under the title white outline and a banner Mary Stewart in white against black.

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 125 comments Misfit wrote: "This looks just ORANGE in the smaller sizes on screen, but blown up it's really rather creepy. And the dogs are in it.

"

most of the photos don't show up for me, so I hit reply to one in hopes it would show up. but I don't see it, sadly.

message 46: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Jackie wrote: "Misfit wrote: "This looks just ORANGE in the smaller sizes on screen, but blown up it's really rather creepy. And the dogs are in it.

"
most of the photos don't show up for me, so I hit reply to o..."

These are very old links and likely dead. Sorry.

message 47: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments If you run a Google search for “Gabriel hounds Mary Stewart” and then click over to an image search, you’ll probably see all the missing covers. Hopefully this link will take you to my search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gabri...

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 125 comments it worked, thank you!
I loved the scenery ones and the one from message 7, with the outfit she would never have worn, is clearly the worst.