Read Scotland 2014 discussion

A Small Death in the Great Glen
This topic is about A Small Death in the Great Glen
The Highlander: 5-8 books > Glen's Highlander

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

GlenK Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home.

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments GlenK wrote: "Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home."

A.D. Scott's books are some of my very favorites!

message 3: by Col (new)

Col (col2910) GlenK wrote: "Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home."

I never managed to track any of these down - my loss probably!

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Col wrote: "GlenK wrote: "Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home."

I neve..."

Amazon has all of them new or used. A.D. Scott's used for one cent!

message 5: by Col (new)

Col (col2910) Peggy wrote: "Col wrote: "GlenK wrote: "Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Ho..."

Peggy thanks - I'm in the UK, so in theory they should be a similar price. I have been kind of thinking about a book embargo as I have more on the creaking shelves than I can possibly get to anytime soon. I was imposing an arbitrary cut-off date of the end of November and A.D. hadn't sneaked in before the shutters came down!

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Col wrote: "Peggy wrote: "Col wrote: "GlenK wrote: "Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by M..."

I totally understand, Col!

GlenK GlenK wrote: "Nothing definite but I do have books 2 and 3 of A.D. Scott's series, having read A Small Death in the Great Glen. Also plan on getting The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home."

Well, I've finally read the 2nd of the 5-8 I committed to (don't think I will end up reading even the 5). Anyway, what I just finished was "The Sea Detective" and it was excellent. Pasting my Goodreads review here:
This contemporary Scotland-set mystery novel is complex and rich storytelling. In it's wide-ranging plot, the classic themes of loss, the quest for truth, and the desire for revenge are driving forces. There are three main characters: all are damaged in one way or another but in the end all display great strength. Cal McGill, the titular "Sea Detective", is a remote person who studies ocean currents mostly in hopes of solving the where and how of his grandfather's death. For compelling but different reasons, McGill's oceanographic expertise comes to the attention of the other two main characters: Helen Jamieson, a highly competent but unappreciated (to say the least) DC, and Basanti, a young Indian girl sold into prostitution by her family. This book is an excellent read with strong, sympathetic characters and some very satisfying revenge. I look forward to the second volume in the series.