DC Public Library discussion

General > Favorite book of 2013?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
It's the time of year when best-of lists start popping up!

Have you voted in the Goodreads Choice awards? I just did and it made me realize how many books came out this year that I had meant to read and haven't gotten around to.

So, what was your personal favorite book that came out in 2013? I think I've been reading the wrong stuff, because everything new I've read has been somewhat disappointing.

I just finished Fangirl, and while I loved it, I wouldn't say it is "best of" material.

For the first 200 pages of Night Film, I thought it would be my new favorite book, but then it just fell apart.

What about you? 2013 hits or misses?

message 2: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (abrakebarbara) | 17 comments best adult fiction book of 2013 for me was A Constellation of Vital Phenomena and ya fiction was def Eleanor & Park

message 3: by Arlis (new)

Arlis | 1 comments I recently read Making Faces and was really moved by the story. I believe it is considered a YA novel, but the themes in the book are for everyone. Could be my top book this year...

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments So far, the best novel I read that was published in 2013 is Mohsin Hamid's How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia -- can't believe it's not on the year-end best of lists... After that, probably the Wodehouse pastiche Jeeves and the Wedding Bells for sheer fun.

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments Bobbie wrote: "best adult fiction book of 2013 for me was A Constellation of Vital Phenomena"

No fair picking a book written by a friend!

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Janicki | 3 comments What Maria said... I haven't got around to so many of the 2013 books I've been anticipating!
That said, Tenth of December was excellent, and I'm halfway through The Goldfinch now. So far, I'm enjoying it!

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Walker | 3 comments Tenth of December was my favorite book of 2013.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jrkite) | 2 comments I loved Tenth of December! Easily best of the year for me. I also really enjoyed Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway, which was very different from the first Claire DeWitt book, but still intensely interesting.

message 9: by Sook-Yi (new)

Sook-Yi | 13 comments I enjoyed Khaled Hosseini's "And the Mountains Echoed" and Elizabeth Gilbert"a "The Signature of All Things" even though I don't care for her memoirs.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Lots of great recommendations here - I'm going to make a list.

Megan, I just started The Goldfinch, and so far I am in LOVE with it! If it stays as good throughout, I think it will be my favorite book of 2013. I hope it doesn't take a dramatic turn for the worse like Night Film did.

I also loved Tenth of December, but I have a mental block against giving a short story collection as much credit as a novel. Don't know why, since I've loved many, many short story collections.

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Also, Jim, I keep hearing great things about the Claire Dewitt books - I guess it is time to read them!

message 12: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments Maria wrote: "Also, Jim, I keep hearing great things about the Claire Dewitt books - I guess it is time to read them!"

I loved the first one, didn't enjoy the second nearly as much.