Buford - Sugar Hill discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Hello. I'm just poking around on Goodreads and saw this group. I moved to Sugar Hill last year. So if this is an established group of friends and/or book club, please ignore me.
If not, do you want to post on your year in books? Did you read more or less books than usual? Do you have a stand out favorite?
For me, I read more than I thought. I feel like I never have time to read anymore but I managed to get through quite a few. (I did the reading challenge and almosted doubled my estimate. Audiobooks help.)
And also for me, I do not have a stand out favorite. although I have read many many really good books this year. Some not so good but interesting. (I "read" some random choices because I use the library audiobooks and listen while I commute to work.)

message 2: by Vera (new)

Vera (vbh75) | 32 comments Hi, and welcome to Sugar Hill :-)
This is not, as far as I know, an established book club, at least not since I joined.
I didn't read as many books as I thought this year. Life gets very hectic. I don't do audiobooks.
I am currently reading two books: the third book of the "Outlander" series (I loved the first one, the second was ok, the third one seems better) and Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (I have liked her books). This year I started Mayor Pettigrew's Last Stand, I am a little over half way through but can't manage to finish it. I think it just hasn't grabbed me, but can't quite figure out why since it is not a bad book, I haven't given up entirely on it :-) not yet, anyway. I also read Girl with a Pearl Earring (a bit slow but fascinating) The Forgotten Garden (which I loved) Garden Spells (easy read, funny, perfect example of Magic Realism)
Can't pick a favorite either.
--Vera

message 3: by Vera (new)

Vera (vbh75) | 32 comments Oh and I forgot to add in my 2013 list The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (excellent) and the previous two books of the Outlander series (Outlander, and Dragonfly in Amber)

message 4: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Thanks! I'll check out The Forgotten Garden and The Immortal Life. I liked Outlander - they're long books so that probably took up your time too (besides the hectic life)!

Just saw a note on others asking about favorite book of the year and two lists were posted. I've clipped them below. I've only read one of them!! Where'd the year go!?

Time Magazine and Entertainment Weekly are out with their Top 10 books of the year. These lists are typically a good indicator... suspect will see many of these books in TOB.

TIME

1. Life After Life (Atkinson)
2. Tenth of December (Saunders)
3. The Flamethrowers (Kushner)
4. The Lowland (Lahiri)
5. The Signature of All Things (Gilbert)
6. NOS4A2 (Hill)
7. The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Gaiman)
8. The Interestings (Wolitzer)
9. Lexicon (Barry)
10. The Encyclopedia of Early Earth (Greenberg)

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

1. Life After Life (Atkinson)
2. Tenth of December (Saunders)
3. And the Mountains Echoed (Hosseini)
4. The Interestings (Wolitzer)
5. Bleeding Edge (Pynchon)
6. The Golem and the Jinni (Wecker)
7. The Woman Who Lost Her Soul (Shacochis)
8. The Husband's Secret (Moriarty)
9. The Son (Meyer)
10. Americanah (Adichie)

message 5: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Hi Vera. Did you hear they're making Outlander into a TV series?

message 6: by Vera (new)

Vera (vbh75) | 32 comments Yes, I heard! I am so excited to see how they are going to cast them. I have to admit that the other books have not been as absorbing, but still entertaining. I am advancing rapidly with Flight Behavior. It was slow but is getting better. I gave my sister The Husband's Secret and she devoured it. Lots of suspense and surprises. Highly recommended. That might well be my next book in line!

Vera

message 7: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Funny. I just added Husband's Secret to my list!! Thanks!

message 8: by CMG (Mac) (last edited Jun 11, 2014 11:28AM) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Just finished Husbands Secret. Pretty entertaining, I didn't realize it was set in Australia.

message 9: by Vera (new)

Vera (vbh75) | 32 comments Loved it! I particularly like the very end when it says what could have or would have happen if....
My son has been telling me to read the Harry Potter series because he's read them all and he's a fan, also The Hobbit. So I finally read the first and second and just finished The Hobbit.
At the moment I'm reading Kitchen Confidential (halfway there)... it is fascinating.

message 10: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments I've read all the Harry Potter books as they came out. And years and years ago, I read The Hobbit (plus the Lord of Rings trilogy). All very good. Major time investment though.
I will look up Kitchen Confidential.
I just finished Necessary Lies. I didn't have a recommendation -- it was just what was available on audiobook for checkout. Very thought provoking. Fictional account of mandatory sterilization of certain people on welfare in 1960. Heavy and serious topic but told in an entertaining way. I learned something.

message 11: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments PS I agree with you about the ending in Husbands Secret.

message 12: by Vera (new)

Vera (vbh75) | 32 comments Have you read The Amazing Life Of Henrietta Lacks? Here's the link. You might like it. It's not fiction.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1400052...
I remember reading something about mandatory sterilization in one of Jodi Piccoult's book. Unfortunately this fictional story had some base on a reality that happened in this country in the mid 1930's. I was shocked when I read it.

message 13: by Vera (new)

Vera (vbh75) | 32 comments The book is called Second Glance.

message 14: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Vera wrote: "Have you read The Amazing Life Of Henrietta Lacks? Here's the link. You might like it. It's not fiction.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1400052...
I remember readin..."

I'm off and on reading it now. Very interesting.

message 15: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) | 40 comments Below is this year's Tournament of Books short list. The only one I've read is All the Light We Cannot See. I do want to read Bone Clocks soon.

Silence Once Begun by Jesse Ball
A Brave Man Seven Storeys Tall by Will Chancellor
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante
An Untamed State by Roxane Gay
Wittgenstein Jr by Lars Iyer
A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
Redeployment by Phil Klay
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill