What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Doctor in Medieval Europe during the Plague

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie Leonard (annieleonard) | 14 comments I'm searching for the title of a book I read some years ago about a young doctor living in a French or German city during the bubonic plague epidemic. He struggles to find a cure, and figures out that the prisons are remarkably plague free- because the prisoners ate the rats!

message 2: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) not Noah Gordon's The Physician?

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Leonard (annieleonard) | 14 comments Thank you, Feliks, The Physician looks like another good one, but not THE one. I do remember another tidbit, that is that the main character, the doctor, is imprisoned for a time because he's accused of (maybe?) witchcraft -- when all he's doing is applying some scientific principles to his treatments. I suppose that's when he figures out that the prisoners aren't getting the plague like those living outside of the prison are, and makes the connection with the disease-carrying rats.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Annie--is this based on someone historical maybe? I've often wondered when it was realized that it was the rats that were spreading the plague. Anyone know?

message 5: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Ann Benson wrote a book called "The Plague Tales" a few years ago about that period.

message 6: by Tytti (last edited Nov 18, 2013 03:41PM) (new)

Tytti | 190 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Annie--is this based on someone historical maybe? I've often wondered when it was realized that it was the rats that were spreading the plague. Anyone know?"

If I remember correctly it was much later, like "modern times". Actually it's not even certain it was the rats. All scientists don't even agree what disease it was.

The plot actually reminds be of small pox and how one doctor found a vaccination against it. An interesting book about the subject is Plagues and Peoples.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Leonard (annieleonard) | 14 comments Yes, I've read the Ann Benson books too, but that's not it.

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie Leonard (annieleonard) | 14 comments bump bump

message 9: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 385 comments I came across this list at the Abe books site:

http://www.abebooks.com/books/science...

scroll down at the page for the selection

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Annie, are you still looking for this?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
No response. Moving to Abandoned.