/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

2013 Book Club Discussions > December 2013: Nominations for December's Book of the Month!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Nov 17, 2013 08:04AM) (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments It's time for nominations for our December book of the month! After we get 5 books with 2 nominations, we'll start the vote. Last time, this went crazy fast, so if you have a nomination keep that in mind (if you wait a few days, it'll likely be too late.

I'm going to steal Stephen's nomination from last month:
The Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. Considering it was up against Republic of Thieves last month, it did quite well in the vote. I really need to get Kay to the top of my to read list, it just keeps falling short for some reason. If it wins, I'll run out of excuses.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I'm bringing this nomination over from the general thread (posted before I opened this one)

John wrote: "Hey folks! On Reddit itself some folks were discussing reading Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni at the beginning of December. If the Goodreads group hasn't picked a December book yet, would you be interested in giving Wecker a shot and merging the reading interests?

I didn't see a marked December Read yet, and didn't want to make a new thread. Hope this is okay, even if this thread is a bit old. "

I think this would be a great idea and am seconding the nomination. I'd love to read the book with a group and since there are redditors looking to read it in December, seems a great fit.

message 3: by Harry (new)

Harry | 27 comments Agreed with Lisa, merging reading interests sounds great! Seconding nomination for The Golem and the Jinni, even though I love Kay and think you should all read any one of his books soon anyway :D

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kyleomara) | 11 comments Those are two I've been thinking of reading. I actually keep passing The Golem and the Jinni at work, so it's constantly on my mind.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 5 comments I going to nominate The Etched City by K.J. Bishop, which is a mix between The Gunslinger and Perdido Street Station.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark | 41 comments I shall 2nd etched city.

message 7: by John (new)

John Wiswell | 4 comments Since I posted in the other thread about The Golem and the Jinni, I naturally also vote for it. I think it'd be an excellent group-read, plus it'll have crossover with the actual Reddit page.

And nothing against Kay - I loved River of Stars.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim I'll second The Lions of al-Rassan because I, too, need a reason to start reading Kay.

message 9: by Andrew (last edited Nov 17, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Andrew Obrigewitsch (andrewobrige) Book 2 in the First Law Series, since we already read the first first book of the series.

message 10: by Joecrash411 (new)

Joecrash411 (goodreadscomJoecrash) | 6 comments Harbinger, by Shae Ford

message 11: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 57 comments Andrew wrote: "Book 2 in the First Law Series, since we already read the first first book of the series."

Before They Are Hanged - I'll 2nd this. I *really* did not think much of book #1 when we read it. But now, I simply must know what happens to Glokta...lol.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments That's four so far. Next one nominated/seconded closes out the list and we'll open up the vote.

message 13: by Ali (new)

Ali | 1 comments I'd like to read The Golem and the Jinni too, but i'll nominate Empire in Black and Gold since you need another nomination.

message 14: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments I'll nominate Promise Of Blood by Brian McClellan. Another reddit guy, who I bet would do a killer q&a

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I'm up for Golem and the Jini as well.

message 16: by Shane (new)

Shane | 33 comments Since Kay has been seconded I'll renominateSharps by K.J. Parker from the October vote.

message 17: by dana (new)

dana (danadanny) | 7 comments I'll second Promise of Blood

message 18: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Looks like Mr. McClellan snuck in.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments 5 great choices! And the poll is now open:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 20: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Thanks for organizing and making the poll, Lisa! Excellent books this month.

message 21: by John (new)

John Wiswell | 4 comments Thanks for setting it up, Lisa!

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments No problem :)

Looks like Promise of Blood is going to win this one. Definitely enjoyed that one, so good choice :)

message 23: by Nolan (new)

Nolan H | 7 comments Ah I'm late is it too late to nominate?

I was going to suggest a whole series to read considering December is a time when many people have 1-2 weeks off

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Very impressive showing by Promise of Blood - a really good debut novel - looking forward to the discussion.

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris W (basop) Promise of Blood is brilliant cant wait to hear what others think of it.

message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark | 41 comments Chris wrote: "Promise of Blood is brilliant cant wait to hear what others think of it."

Totally agree with that.