Indie Book Club discussion

General > Kindle Countdowns vs Freebies vs Goodreads Giveaways

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle O'Leary (michelle_oleary) | 16 comments I don't think anybody noticed this post way down in Marketing, so I thought I'd post it in this folder...moderators, delete if you don't approve! :)

**original post**
I'd love to hear all Indie authors' experiences with these promotional tools. I'm in the middle of a Kindle Countdown Deal with most of my books running at 99 cents. I've dutifully announced it everywhere I could (without being obnoxious and banned for spam :P) and I'm really not seeing the result I was expecting. Too many free titles out there to bother with 99 cents?

As for the KDP freebies, I get lots of downloads (in the hundreds usually), but almost zero exposure (ratings, reviews, etc). I do get a handful of sales after the freebie run is done, but that dries up quickly.

I've had the best result with Goodreads Giveaways in terms of sales and exposure, though the ratings/reviews I received during the giveaways were on different titles. May have been a coincidence. Lots of people put the giveaway titles on their to-read shelves, which is at least some visibility.

What has been your experience? What would be your advice?

Thanks! -M

message 2: by A.L. (last edited Nov 19, 2013 12:59PM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments If some of your readers are like me they might not read a book immediately so could easily review a book six months down the line.

Personally I think a mix of things is good, don't rely on one strategy.

My second freebie session on Select was OK, I got a few sales as result but it is hard to tell as there were other factors going on at the same time. I ended up branching out from Select in the end, anyway so I can't comment first hand about Countdown.

I had a mini sale on SW and that did next to nothing.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Marlowe (scottmarlowe) The Countdown program itself seems too restrictive to me. You have to be enrolled in KDP Select for 30 days, you can't change your price afterwards for so many days, and I can't remember what else now. A lot of authors on kboards are not pleased with the results they're getting, either. I initially thought the program was a good idea, but after seeing so many titles popping up on the Countdown page, I don't think so anymore. Amazon really needs to help with the exposure angle of this by prominently featuring titles. Otherwise this isn't that different from running a sale and having to buy your own ad space via Bookbub or similar service.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle O'Leary (michelle_oleary) | 16 comments Thanks bunches for your input A.L. & Scott!

A.L. your advice is much appreciated - a mix of strategies sounds wise and I'll try to be patient for reviews. ;)

Scott, I agree that the Countdown program is restrictive and isn't advertized as much as it could be on Amazon. Shoot, I had trouble just finding the countdown deals link! There should be a link on the main Kindle Store page, not stuck halfway down the Daily Deals page. I've had a few more sales since I posted, but not enough to justify the time and work I've put into it. Perhaps this program will improve over time...

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I couldn't even find the damn link...

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle O'Leary (michelle_oleary) | 16 comments And there ya go. I don't think countdown deals are going to satisfy anyone unless Amazon invests a little more into it.

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Rawsontile | 2 comments I sold 26 copies of my space opera, The Starlight Fortress, during a 5.5-day countdown (Amazon made a mistake by not listing my book in the first 1.5 days). I would do that again.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle O'Leary (michelle_oleary) | 16 comments Thanks for the input, Fiona! Maybe when Amazon works out some of the kinks the countdowns will be a better deal for all of us. :)