The Malazan Fallen discussion

Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
This topic is about Toll the Hounds
Group Read - Toll the Hounds > TtH - Chapter Four - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter four discussion thread

Lori Aha, Traveller is most definitely Dassem Ultor! (view spoiler)

message 3: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

Lori Ah yes, great info, thanks

message 5: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Traveller shipwrecks onto a beach. We’ll learn more about him this book

Clip and Nimander and co come across a town that had a thousand human scarecrows strung up with black goup bleeding out of them. They are welcomed in by worshippers of "The Dying god" with open arms. Joy.

Endest remembers a past when he was a mere acolyte. He remembers the day that Mother Dark rejected the Tiste Andii. There was civil war for which Rake blames Mother Dark – probably for creating the Tiste Liosan. But Mother Dark is angry with Rake for slaying Tiam and drinking in chaotic power.

You have killed Tiam. My son, do you realize what you have begun? Silchas flees, yes, and where do you think he goes? And the newborn, the others, what scent will draw them now, what taste of chaotic power? Anomander, in murder you seek peace, and now the blood flows and there shall be no peace, not ever again.
I forsake you, Anomander Blood of Tiam.

Seerdomin discovers that he is being seen as a kind of priest to the Redeemer with his daily pilgrimage to the Barrow. He stops going. But it is clear the Redeemers worshippers see him as some kind of conduit to receiving the sort of Redemption that Itkovian gave to the Imass.

‘Why do you need help?’
‘We await the Redeemer, to end that which afflicts his followers.’
‘And how will the Redeemer achieve such a thing, except through chosen mortals?’
She cocked her head, as if startled by his question, then she smiled. ‘Ask that question of your friend, Spinnock Durav.

And Kallor re-enters the story, on his way to somewhere or nowhere.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments I was also thinking the Traveller-Dassem Ultor equation is solid now.

I like how Spinnock called Itkovian a believer. The god is one of his own misguided worshippers.

message 7: by Sumant (last edited Dec 01, 2013 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sumant Spoiler from Return of crimson guard
(view spoiler)

Endest remembers a past when he was a mere acolyte

Here it was also mentioned that that chaos was birthed.So what does this signify?. Also looks like Tiste Andii also had sects in them.

And Kallor re-enters the story

If he kills the hare are the spots in the sky K'chain che malle fortresses descending down?.

message 8: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sumant wrote: "are the spots in the sky K'chain che malle fortresses descending down?. "

I think they were just vultures or crows

message 9: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
I'm slow, why is you all are saying Traveller is Dassem Ultor? I'm put off by the fact that Lori's next statement is in spoiler tags and Sumant is talking about revelations from one of the ICE books.

But Silvio doesn't have any more information than I do, so I must just be oblivious again.

Are you talking about his comment about Hood?

message 10: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob wrote: "Are you talking about his comment about Hood? "

I believe they are inferring this from the Hood comments yes.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments Yeah, I was getting Traveller=Dassem Ultor from the revelation that he's forsaken Hood. Admittedly, I might have been slower to jump to conclusions if it wasn't already my favorite guess from a few books back.

And Sumant, I agree it would be good for you to spoiler-tag your comment about Return of the Crimson Guard. I've been deliberately not looking at it.

Sumant And Sumant, I agree it would be good for you to spoiler-tag your comment about Return of the Crimson Guard. I've been deliberately not looking at it.

Done :)

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments We get heaps of loathing piled on again and again for the likes of Felisin and Feather Witch, but not even a comment when a really first class asshole like Kallor reappears. Anyone else wishing for something particularly nasty for him, like maybe someone can send him to keep company with the guy that killed Trull?

message 14: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
I don't like Kallor. Bad things can happen to him

However unlike Felesin or Feather Witch, he's not portrayed as a tragic figure. At least not to me. My problem with those two is I just don't like them despite their tragedy.

Conor | 78 comments Don't worry Duffy, I got you: Kallor is a massive knobhead.

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Through four chapters the story is comfortable. It's mostly characters we know and haven't seen in a bit. Filling in their gaps is nice but I don't see a clear path to a story yet and there's been little action. In SE we trust.........