The Malazan Fallen discussion

Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
This topic is about Toll the Hounds
Group Read - Toll the Hounds > TtH - Chapter Three - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter three discussion thread

message 2: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
I love being back in Darujistan. And we have a conglomerate of past friends converging on the city.

The Trygalle Trade Guild carriage crashes into town complete with dismembered body parts that refuse to die.

We have Gruntle, mortal sword of Trake working as a caravan guard.

Torvald Nom returns to town. It seems he used to be partners with Scorch and Leff – but now has somehow ended up on their list of debtors – a situation he seeks to amend by robbing the estate of the moneylender who he owes money to.

We have the ship carrying Spite and Cutter and Barathol and Iskarel and Magora and Mappo Trell and Scillara and a host of Bhokarala. Mappo Trell is on a mission to find Icarium.

In the Azath House we have Rallick Nom being kicked awake by Raest to find Vorcan missing. So we can assume this is who Baruk has been worried about. And no wonder as Vorcan had been taking out cabal members in Gotm .

We discover the identity of the person who has commissioned the assassins guild to take out the Malazans. One Humble Measure a big time iron monger. Why exactly we don’t know. He’s not too fond of Malazans but there must be more to it than that. He’s also found some ancient scrolls that he thinks will ensure he will never have to run from anyone ever again.

Convergence time again

Lori Yes it felt like going back home to Daru!

Humble Measure trusts no outside forces after what happened in his youth, having to escape from city after city.

Paul (brocklaser) | 55 comments Ah darujistan! Kruppe! Still not enough Kruppe yet though!

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments This convergence seems a bit too coincidental. I think Mogora's onto something, though: In Darujhistan you shall find your nemesis, a catastrophic clash. I'm just waiting for Pust vs. Kruppe!

Sumant Ya this chapter was awesome really loved reading it, back to darujistan.Also aren't jaghut mysterious first they try to live alone away from anyone as possible and then they find it lonely.

Also Raest mentioning that Vorcan was a demon.also what is with sex of iskaral's mule getting changed.

message 7: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
Sumant wrote: "Also Raest mentioning that Vorcan was a demon"

I missed that

‘A demon in truth. Vorcan is her name now, I believe.

And she is also a member of the Cabal of Darujistan. I wonder if that's true of the rest of the Cabal.

Lori Huh so how does she appear human? Batik isn't and neither was the witch we met or Cutters uncle. I puzzled over that.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments If it were just what Raest said, I would have thought it was a figure of speech. As far as I can tell, that is how Rallick takes it. But considering that she got away from an Azath, and how bad Chillbais freaked out when he saw something (Vorcan?) getting away from the Azath, I believe she's not human.

message 10: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
Very little happens in this chapter, but I still enjoyed seeing a lot of familiar faces. It seems like Mr. Erikson is putting pieces onto the board.

I'm really hoping for a Pust/Kruppe encounter as well.

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments Demon is not a very precise term in this world. At various points we have heard of some folks from this world referred to as demons. I know that it's been said of the k'chain, who I don't even want to begin to spell. And I think also of the Forkrul. As I understand it, they are both original races. At one point, I think QB explains that a demon is simply a creature from another world. But the Tiste are all from other worlds and are not demons. Nor is the CG a demon.

So I tend to favor Raest giving a casual usage when referring to Vorcan. On the other hand, we know that Vorcan is a magic user and presumably a pretty powerful one. Is it possible that Vorcan is a soletaken? And if so, can a soletaken veer into demon form? I doubt there's anything to this speculation, but it would at least explain the info we have.

Sumant So I tend to favor Raest giving a casual usage when referring to Vorcan

I don't think so, I definitely think she is a part demon, also i don't recall when kchain che malle or Tiste were ever called demons.Basically demon may be refereed to as someone in books who is going to cause harm, but who may cause harm to raest who is one of the powerful jaghut after gothos himself.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments Without thinking about it too hard, I've assumed demon had a relatively precise meaning for Malazan wizards and other well-informed beings - something like "a creature from another world that can be summoned and controlled," probably - but is also put into the mouths of provincial/ignorant characters as a catchall word for anything scary.

message 14: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Well until proven otherwise I still think she's human. We've not yet met any demon who are soletaken. But I'm very curious to resolve this, I was quite startled as I read that line, and completely missed it the first time. And just because I'm a retreaded I haven't spoiled a thing cause I can't remember a thing that happens to her!

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Damn iPhone speller, rereader not retreaded

message 16: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
Lori (Hellian) wrote: "Damn iPhone speller, rereader not retreaded"

Why can't you be both? :-D

message 17: by Sumant (last edited Dec 18, 2013 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sumant Well until proven otherwise I still think she's human.

Well i have huge spoiler from Return of crimson guard below read it at your own peril which proves she is a demon.

(view spoiler)

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments Doesn't prove anything. (view spoiler).

When I suggested that she might be soletaken, my idea is that she is human but veers into some demon form. I have no idea if that is possible or not. We've seen soletaken wolves, spiders (divers), dragons, and even a sea monster. Most of the forms are animals we are familiar with. But if there can be a soletaken dragon, why not a soletaken demon?

Again, I think this goes back to the idea that "demon" is just a fuzzy concept. Calling something a demon generally gives license to abuse the demon. Treating the demon as an intelligent being worthy of respect takes something extra in a person's character.