The Malazan Fallen discussion

Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
This topic is about Toll the Hounds
Group Read - Toll the Hounds > TtH - Prologue & Chapter One - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter one Discussion thread

Lori Edge walker is a mystery to me, do we know who he is, I can't remember. And pooh so the war is about Krull, yet it's TCG who is stirring the pot. With Shadowthrone creeping about!

Who sits with Kruppe and Krul?

message 3: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
I don't think we have been told who he is. I am sure Telorast and Curdle mentioned him a couple of times, but usually with lots of worry and concern about his power.

Lori I think we've met him before. With Shadowthrone? Oh is he the one guarding Shadow, who kicks out unwelcome visitors? And maybe he walks between the warrens?

But yes, thanks, curdle and Telorast have definitely been nervous about him, now I remember.

message 5: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
We start the book in Dragnipur where we meet a few interesting characters. There’s Ditch – one of the wizards of Pale who betrayed Anomander and the city, consequently reaping Rake’s vengeance. We meet the real Apsal’ara, Lady of Thieves, whose name Sorry took. We also meet a demon who is busying himself picking up the fallen. I wonder if this is Pearl from Gotm. I get that from this comment when he is speaking to Ditch

The demon persisted. ‘We must find one who does. I am going now. But I will return. Do not pity me, please.’

From Gotm, when Pearl realizes he’s about to face Rake’s sword

Before he passed from sight Pearl spoke again. 'Ben Adaephon Delat, do you pity me?'
'Yes,' he replied softly, then pivoted and dropped down into darkness.

Maybe stretching it?

Anyway, souls in the sword are wearing out, chained but no longer able to pull, adding drag for those who are still pulling. There has been no replacements in a long time and so chaos is catching up.

‘We fail,’ said the demon.
Ditch wanted to howl at that. Was it not obvious to them all? But that quavering voice was both bemused and forlorn, and it struck through to his heart. ‘I know, friend.
Not long now.’
‘And then?’
Ditch shook his head. ‘I don’t know.’

They could do with a dragon or two but Rake isn’t into killing dragons lately

‘Curse the fool!’ Ditch growled. ‘Why doesn’t he kill a few more dragons, damn him!’

We stop briefly in Karsa’s territory where Karsa’s dog, Gnaw, heads south. I’m guessing it’s Gnaw because we last saw the dog in HOC where it had smashed it’s hip – and this dog has a smashed hip

Surprisingly lithe despite its mangled hip, the dog now trotted through the village, down the length of the main avenue.

Two Teblor girls decide to follow it. I wonder if they are Karsa’s as well? I can’t remember this bit. If they are, I wonder if they are the result of his rape in HOC? They’ve never met their father

Like the dog, the two girls were fearless and resolute.
Though they did not know it, such traits came from their father, whom they had never met.

And we go back to Darujistan. We start off in one of Kruppe’s dreams where he talks to K’rul and they are joined by a stranger who I’m going to guess is Fisher Kel Tath – seeing there is a bard in town and Kruppe is trying to remember his song and the Stranger fills in the missing words.

Kruppe sang, ‘“Oh frail city, where strangers arrive” . . . and the rest?’
The newcomer answered in a deep voice, ‘“. . . pushing into cracks, there to abide.”‘

And Kruppe says that K’rul is the prize in the war of the gods

K’rul states he is not in the war. Yet, Kruppe suspects, he is nevertheless its prize.’
‘Only you understand this, my friend...,’

Is this a reference to the warrens? Control of the warren system is the prize?

And we meet up with our retired bridgeburners hanging out in K’rul’s bar. It looks like someone has contracted the assassins guild to take them out. But our bridgeburners don’t die easy. And they have all the tools of intellect they need to deal with the problem

‘...We find out who, we throw a cusser through his bedroom window and that’s that...’

And Rallick Nom has become the object of worship to many in the assassins guild

Dester had heard that some initiates in some clans had raised hidden shrines to honour Rallick Nom, creating a kind of cult whose adherents employed secret gestures of mutual recognition within the Guild.

I think we last saw Rallick in Gotm, dragging the near dead body of the then assassin guildmaster, Vorcan, into the Azath.

Chillbais – Baruk’s demon familiar, has been set to watch for anyone or anything coming out of the Azath. And someone does come out. Is it Rallick, or Vorcan, or something else?

We meet a couple of my favourite comic relief characters in this book – Scorch and Leff. They are debt collectors with a list of calls to make. Problem is they can’t find anyone on the list – which is a problem if your only money comes from a percentage of what you collect. Kruppe hustles in on their business – he tells them where to find everyone on the list – and they cut him in for a third.

We catch up again with crone as she delivers some dubious scrolls from Anomander – well dubious according to Rake anyway. But crone fills in a few details regarding Osserc and Rake’s relationship –

’...Their alliance fell apart because of a growing mutual dislike. The disaster with Draconus probably delivered the death-blow. Imagine, falling for a woman’s wiles – ‘

I’m assuming “the disaster with Draconus” was his ending up in dragnipur. And both Osserc and Rake had a triste with Draconus’s daughters – Osserc with Spite – and Anomander with Lady Envy.

Crone also reports that the Rhivi are saying the Barghast have up and disappeared – not surprising seeing they are over in Lether.

Rake is still putting off attempts by Darujistan’s council to make some sort alliance with him – but at the same time Rake is offering the Cabal – the real council, help. But with what we don’t know yet

‘Master asks: when will it begin?....’
‘... Master asks: do you wish for assistance?’
Baruk winced.
‘Master asks,’ Crone went on, relentless, ‘would said assistance better serve you if it was covert, rather than official?’
Gods below.

When Baruk’s demon reports that something has come out of the house Baruk declares that whatever was supposed to have begun, has begun.

message 6: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (Hellian) wrote: "Who sits with Kruppe and Krul? "

I'm guessing this is Fisher Kel Tath - In the dream Kruppe is trying to sing a song he heard a bard singing and he can't remember the words - the stranger gives him the missing words. The song is attributed to Fisher in one of the epigraphs

Lori (Hellian) wrote: "Edge walker is a mystery to me, do we know who he is, I can't remember. "

All we've got so far is that he is some sort of Elemental force - maybe an elder god?

Lori Oh that's right! Edgewater is an Elemental!

Nice catch about Fisher.

Sumant K’rul is the prize in the war of the gods

Ya i too think the same thing CG is fighting for the control of warrens because as we saw in MOI he started basically by poisoning the warrens.

Two Teblor girls decide to follow it.

I did not get this part thanks for clarifying it.

Imagine, falling for a woman’s wiles

I think both of them fell for Lady Envy because from whatever we have seem of envy she does seem a selfish character to me, regarding Spite she was last seen with Mappo and our favorite shadow priest.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments We met Edgewalker in Bonehunters 2-3. He watched Cotillion negotiate with the chained dragons in Shadow. That's where he said he was an Elemental. But we don't know much about what an elemental is, I think, so he's still pretty mysterious.

I lean towards thinking "pity me" isn't a coincidence. Maybe it's Pearl or maybe it's another of the same kind of demon.

And while we're maybe stretching things, Apsal'ara stole fire, and the Eres'al stole fire, so now I want to think Apsal'ara is an Eres'al.

IIRC, we were told that Karsa's rape victims included a mother and a daughter, and that at least one of them conceived, along with some foreshadowy comments that made it sound like we'd be meeting her and/or her child in the future. On the other hand, there can't possibly have been time for the girls to be nearly grown by now, especially with the slow life cycle Teblor were supposed to have in HoC. I don't know if that means these aren't them or if it's just Erikson messing up his timeline again.

message 10: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori I think it's Erikson messing with time. Gotta be Karsa's.

Nice catch about stealing fire!

You'd think by my second read I'd remember ST negotiating with chained dragons but it's very hazy.

message 11: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
Oh we started a new book...two weeks ago >.<

So time to play catch up! (only to likely be falling behind again soon).

The prologue confused the hell out of me mostly, but chapter 1 was nice to get back to some characters and places we haven't seen in awhile.

------
I'm really happy to be back in Darujhistan. We haven't really been here much since Gardens of the Moon apart for the retired Bridgeburners setting up shop.

I like how the assassins figured they had the drop on their targets, but I knew all along it wasn't going to go well for them.

------
I hope Murillo will be OK. I wonder if him being attacked for "rape" was really just a ploy set up by whoever has it out for the Malazans.

------
I totally missed the deal with the dog and the two little girls being Teblor though. Man I'm so bad at this! lol.

------
David Sven wrote: "WWe start off in one of Kruppe’s dreams where he talks to K’rul and they are joined by a stranger who I’m going to guess is Fisher Kel Tath"

And who the hell is Fisher Kel Tath? You've mentioned he's authored some of the epigraphs, but I assume this is the first time we're seeing him "on screen"?

Of course with these books it's always bad to make assumptions.

message 12: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
Silvio wrote: "We met Edgewalker in Bonehunters 2-3. He watched Cotillion negotiate with the chained dragons in Shadow. That's where he said he was an Elemental. But we don't know much about what an elemental is,..."

Man good insight, that fits what we see pretty well here. And the mom instead of worrying about her (youngest) daughter seems to be remembering Karsa "fondly"..

message 13: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob wrote: "And who the hell is Fisher Kel Tath? You've mentioned he's authored some of the epigraphs, but I assume this is the first time we're seeing him "on screen"?"

This is the first time we've seen him, though we've seen a few of his epigraphs through the series. He's also the author of the song at the beginning of Ch1 - if this is him then he's a bard

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments Does the identity of the narrator belong in a spoiler? I'm really impressed with how Erikson is handling this. The voice, I think, is nearly perfect. And this book has Erikson's best writing so far.

Linette | 152 comments Once again I only made half of the connections, thanks for pointing out ones I missed. I am liking being back in Darujhistan.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments To Duffy - (view spoiler)