Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

New members > Please introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 284 (284 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Mar 03, 2014 03:28PM) (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Welcome to this group, and thank you for joining. Please introduce yourself, and let us know how you came across the group. If you are happy to, please also say where you are from - it's nice to learn how international we are!

If you have not yet done so, please read the welcome page, where the logistics of the group are explained.

message 2: by Noha (new)

Noha | 1 comments First, thank you for accepting me to the group
I'm noha from Eygpt
my choice for reading is war and travel,love and family

message 3: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments I'm CH from Pennsylvania, USA. I am very interested in non-fiction sociology and the humanities but also enjoy original and important fiction. I'm looking forward to reading from this list, and thank Sarah for forming this group!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Noha wrote: "First, thank you for accepting me to the group
I'm noha from Eygpt
my choice for reading is war and travel,love and family"

Hi noha, love is one of the categories I've chosen for January, and ch has suggested 'A Lost Lady' by Willa Cather - it sounds an interesting plot. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4....

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Anthony wrote: "Once was photographer, filmmaker, engineer, and 15 years live aboard blue water sailor. Looked at the list of 1000 books and was horrified at my own inadequacy (can I really spell that?). Read abou..."

Hi Anthony, what great professions to work in! I became a fan of short films through my degree course, went to the Encounters film festival in Bristol one year and was very impressed.

The Guardian's list is a very good one isn't it? I enjoyed reading the weekly supplement, am so glad they've kept it up on their site. I'm a quick reader, but have actually found that I gain much more from a well written book if I consciously slow down. Don't pressure yourself to increase that number, just enjoy the experience of reading awesome books!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
ch wrote: "I'm CH from Pennsylvania, USA. I am very interested in non-fiction sociology and the humanities but also enjoy original and important fiction. I'm looking forward to reading from this list, and tha..."

Hi CH, I enjoy reading non-fiction too and have a list of impressive sounding non-fiction books to read.

There is literature out there which is important, isn't there? Fiction that brings to light injustice, for example Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath', fiction that questions established practices, etc.

message 7: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Sarah wrote: "There is literature out there which is important, isn't there? Fiction that brings to light injustice, for example Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath', fiction that questions established practices, etc. "

Yes, I'm finding that, which has quickened my interest in literature quite a bit. Even some fiction that isn't explicit in that regard betrays its importance in subtle ways. It can be extremely engaging and enlightening.

Ah, art :)

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaanne) Good morning! I met Sarah in SparkPeople and decided to join this group. I look forward to reading and sharing here. :-D

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Chelsea! Lovely to see you here. The Guardian list has some excellent books on it, it's going to be enjoyable reading them together as a group.

message 10: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Hello and welcome, to Anthony, noha, and Chelsea Anne!

message 11: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaanne) Thanks! :)

message 12: by Dragana (new)

Dragana | 3 comments Books and reading have always had an important place in my life. Ever since I've started reading I can't get enough. :-)
Classics are my favorite, but every once in a while I like to try out something new. Hopefully something from this list will leave me breathless :-). I've already read some of the listed books.

message 13: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Dragana wrote: "Hopefully something from this list will leave me breathless :-). I've already read some of the listed books."

I agree!

I have read only a few of the books on the list. There did seem to be several classics listed, I noticed. As Sarah mentioned, it is a very diverse list.

message 14: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 143 comments Where in Pennsylvania, CH? I grew up in Pittsburgh and got married in Philadelphia.

ch wrote: "I'm CH from Pennsylvania, USA. I am very interested in non-fiction sociology and the humanities but also enjoy original and important fiction. I'm looking forward to reading from this list, and tha..."

Anthony wrote: "Once was photographer, filmmaker, engineer, and 15 years live aboard blue water sailor. Looked at the list of 1000 books and was horrified at my own inadequacy (can I really spell that?). Read abou..."

message 15: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 143 comments I live in Somerville, Massachusetts where my wife and I belong to a mystery readers' book club. I read more science fiction in my teens and twenties, and all through my life I've enjoyed novels, histories, and poetry. Right now, too much of my reading time is spent on books for work (although some of them are surprisingly good). I look forward to this group.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Dennis, thank you for joining the group. My reading habits also changed over the years, one time, as a child, I went through a stage of reading cowboy stories! In case this ruins my reading reputation, I also thoroughly enjoyed Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and loved the Christmas episode in Grahame's 'Wind in the Willows'.

What work are you in? I'm guessing it is something interesting, as you enjoy reading books associated with it.

message 17: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Dennis wrote: "Where in Pennsylvania, CH? I grew up in Pittsburgh and got married in Philadelphia."

Halfway between the two! I live along the Susquehanna River. I love it here & have lived in this region all my life :)

message 18: by Anne Sofie (new)

Anne Sofie (annesofielovesmozart) Hello :)

I'm Anne Sofie, 23 years old, and i come from Denmark.

I'm really looking forward to the category "State of the Nation". There seems to be some great gems in between :)

And the of course "Love".

Looking forward to read with you Guys :)

Anne Sofie

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Anne

Welcome to our group,I remember being impressed with that category when I first read through this list (when it was originally printed in newspaper form). Some of the longer epics on that list might need longer than a month for time to read them!

Love is one of the categories for our first month's read, January, as well as Crime and Comedy.

Look forward to seeing you on the topic boards!

Sarah

message 20: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Welcome, Anne Sofie!

message 21: by Anne Sofie (new)

Anne Sofie (annesofielovesmozart) thank you, Sarah and ch :)

message 22: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaanne) It is so much fun to have people from all over the world here. This will be fun. :-D

message 23: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 143 comments Sarah, thanks for asking about my work. I'm in nonprofit communications. I help worthy organizations tell their stories to get the support they need.

message 24: by Linzi (new)

Linzi Wilson | 9 comments Thank you ch for inviting me to the group, I've often googled this reading list for new authors to try. What a brilliant idea having a reading group based on it!

I mainly read for escape and to try and broaden my tiny little mind, really looking forward to reading along with you all :-)

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire Perry (clairelou) | 2 comments Thanks for having me in the group! Looking forward to the January 2014 reads!

message 26: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Welcome, Claire!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Claire, thanks for joining! I'm so looking forward to reading the books chosen for January too, especially as they will be the group's first reads.

message 28: by hebat alla (new)

hebat alla mostafa Thanks for accepting me to group .
I'm heba..i'm a medical student from egypt ...
I'm looking forward (love) & ( science fiction and fantasy)

message 29: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Welcome, Heba!

message 30: by Iona (new)

Iona Hi everyone!

I'm Iona, I'm 22 and I'm a languages student from Scotland. Thanks for having me in your group. I'm looking forward to reading with you all, particularly in the Crime and Comedy categories! =]

message 31: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Welcome Iona!

message 32: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi (nidhiberera) | 1 comments Hey all,

I;m Nidhi from India. I'm really looking forward to the categories: war/travel, Love, crime

Thank you!

message 33: by ch (new)

ch | 41 comments Hello Nidhi!

Feel free to browse our current and upcoming reading selections. The January reads are in progress and discussions are underway; please see main page for links. We are looking forward to reading with you!

message 34: by Sarah (last edited Jan 13, 2014 08:23PM) (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Nebat, Iona and Nidhi

A warm welcome to the three of you, it`s lovely to see you join the group and I hope you will enjoy helping to choose which books to read, and reading them. It isn`t too late to join in with the January reads - no need to read all three! I look forward to hearing what you think of this and future monthly reads.

Sarah

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Hello! I am excited to meet some people to share my obsession with this list :) I ran across it in summer of 2012 and have been whittling away at it ever since!

I am particularly interested in reading the comedy, science fiction/fantasy, and crime sections.

As for me, I am older than I like to admit and live not too far from Dennis in Massachusetts.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Leslie,it is a great collection isn't it? I set the group up because I was surprised there wasn't one already. Hope you enjoy being part of the group.

Sarah

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi Leslie,it is a great collection isn't it? I set the group up because I was surprised there wasn't one already. Hope you enjoy being part of the group.

Sarah"

Thanks Sarah. I hope that you don't mind that I started a discussion topic on what we are reading now, in case people are reading some books other than the group reads.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Leslie, that's fine, it's a good topic - one I'd been thinking of doing! It will be interesting to hear about books members are reading outside of the Guardian list.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Hi there

I'm Susan, 25 years old and I love to read; mainly science fiction/fantasy, love, crime and a wee bit of comedy. I'm happy to be a part of this group (thanks Iona) and I look forward to read with you all :)

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Susan wrote: "Hi there

I'm Susan, 25 years old and I love to read; mainly science fiction/fantasy, love, crime and a wee bit of comedy. I'm happy to be a part of this group (thanks Iona) and I look forward to r..."

Hi Susan!

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Susan, welcome to the group. We're reading 'Foundation' by Isaac Asimov as one of our books this month, so as you are a s/f fan I look forward to hearing what you think of it! Thank you for joining, and I'm sure you'll enjoy being part of the group.

message 42: by Clare (new)

Clare (cpeyton) | 10 comments Hi, I'm Clare, 37 with eclectic tastes in books. I'm going through a sci-fi, philosophy phase at the moment, so I have just read Foundation. Was so excited when I saw this group existed; can't wait to see what you all think of the books we'll be reading together :-)

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Hi Clare!

message 44: by Iona (new)

Iona Hey Clare, welcome to the group! =]

message 45: by Clare (new)

Clare (cpeyton) | 10 comments Leslie wrote: "Hi Clare!"

Hi Leslie! Nice to meet you!

Just peeked at your reviews - I loved Foundation so much I grabbed Foundation and Empire as soon as I finished the last page of Foundation - I see you rated it highly so I'm looking forward to this being as good a read as Foundation was :-)

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Clare wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Hi Clare!"

Hi Leslie! Nice to meet you!

Just peeked at your reviews - I loved Foundation so much I grabbed Foundation and Empire as soon as I finished the last page of Foundation ..."

I liked the whole series, but the first three (the original trilogy) are the best I think.

message 47: by Clare (new)

Clare (cpeyton) | 10 comments Iona wrote: "Hey Clare, welcome to the group! =]"

Hi, Iona! Nice to meet you.

Thanks for the welcome :-)

message 48: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hi fellow bibliophiles,
I am Debbie and live in Epping, Essex. I am originally from Sheffield and moved to London in 1991. I have 4 children under 8 years and was a nurse for 18 years BC (before kids!!). I have a very busy life with them, but still try and read as much as I can. Lead by example, I want to raise 4 little bookworms, seem to be succeeding!!
My favourite genres are Classic and contemporary fiction, history/biography, science/nature, politics, current affairs.
I'm not so keen on poetry or short stories, but will give most things a try.
I love the idea of this book club as I am a Guardian reader and remember the list. Please feel free to add me as friend. Can't wait to join in. x

message 49: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Hi Debbie!

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Hi Debbie, welcome to the group, four children under 8 is hard work! Lovely that you want to instil a love of reading in them.

Do join in straightaway if you want to, our current reads include Dickens's Bleak House, which is a great classic read.

Will add you as a friend, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on each month's read.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6