Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Court decisions - book or no?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Nov 16, 2013 11:42PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments Interestingly enough, my basic searches didn't turn up any prior threads or posts re: whether or not a court decision is considered a 'book' so to be a permitted addition to GR's database. Creating this thread instead of posting in the general 'delete this book' thread, both for posterity and in case there is any extended discussion.

Issue raised b/c I came across this SCt decision: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Which led me to this other one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Didn't bother to look into this further. Figured that it was best to ask first. TIA. :)

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 6 comments Court decisions fall under the same ruling as laws. They are "government documents" so it depends on whether or not you permit government document.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (last edited Nov 17, 2013 12:01AM) (new)

Lobstergirl Hmm. Well, certainly there are tons of government documents in the database, but they came in via automatic import, so they have ISBNs and a publisher.

Supreme Court decisions are "published," but not really for sale, since they are free and so widely available as PDFs - for starters, on the Supreme Court website.

I don't see why they wouldn't qualify as an ebook. The publisher would either be the Supreme Court, or if someone owns a paper copy, the Government Printing Office maybe?

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Some decisions are available for purchase from the Government Printing Office online store; bound volumes all seem to have an ISBN and are thus automatically imported, single decisions don't have ISBNs but do have GPO identifying number, from what I can see.

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/search/apach...

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "...Supreme Court decisions are "published," but not really for sale, since they are free and so widely available as PDFs - for starters, on the Supreme Court website. ..."

Yes, that was my immediate thought as well. (And AFAIK, most lower courts now have some means in place for electronic distribution of its decisions.)

In theory, I too don't see why court decisions wouldn't qualify as an ebook. Criteria-wise, nearly identical analysis as that applied to completed online reads and/or fanfic. Of course, w/ the obvious difference being that court decisions are, for the most part, non-fiction. ;-)

message 6: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments My take would be anything that is Published as a discrete document (e.g. Downloadable PDF / audio version / ePub etc.) is a book for GR purposes.

If they were physically printed, then they are also books I would feel. The issue really to me is whether a case is equivalent to an article, therefore the "book" may be the annual / sessional release.

Grey literature is Grey >.<

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments I thought that this was a fairly simple question. Would it be possible to get a definitive answer, one way or another? It would be helpful in future. TIA. :)