Pakistani Readers discussion

Personal Writings > A Glass Bottle

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments My son just turned four, and I wrote this for him

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

message 2: by Owaiz (last edited Nov 17, 2013 02:46AM) (new)

Owaiz You can also write all your memories down in all the detail. They're pretty well preserved that way.

message 3: by Owaiz (last edited Nov 17, 2013 04:05AM) (new)

Owaiz But we also need to stop comparing her to victims of drone attacks. People always end up comparing which is really ridiculous. If someone wants to talk about Malala, talk about Malala, without any comparison to some Nabeela from Iran, Rasheeda from Palestine, or Basheeran from Bangla. To me, it comes down to this: She is promoting education. Education can solve a lot of problems and probably result in a huge decrease in women getting beaten and dominated by men. That's what she's promoting, that's all that matters. Now, let the other counties celebrate what they want to, yeah? They also wonder why the killer of Salman Taseer is considered a Hero by many in Pakistan. On this level, things ain't that simple. So, instead of getting into useless details about why and what they celebrate, we can focus on the main thing. Secondly, maybe America is using her. So what? That has only helped her promote education a lot more than she could've from Swat.

message 4: by Owaiz (new)

Owaiz That's what I used to think. It's not us that she's really targeting, it's the poor and weak-willed people. Kinda like watching your favourite hero drinking or smoking and wanting to drink because you think it's cool or like doing something good watching them do something good.

I read a story about a poor girl from Karachi who was shot by gangsters in her school but determined to continue school because Malala had visited her school once and she'd gotten inspired by her and wanted to be like her.

message 5: by Owaiz (new)

Owaiz She's only 16, what else can she do? The best she can do is go to school and set the example and she's doing just that.

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments Thx maira, owaiz, aalia..not sure how we came back to malala, but thanks for reading the blog..

message 7: by Owaiz (new)

Owaiz A link to your post about Malala shows on the one linked above. I ended up there too.

message 8: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments Thx zenab and Rao for your comments..

message 9: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments Thanks a lot Mahrukh for your compliment..and welcome to the group:)

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments Thank you Zaib for your wonderful comments on the blog post. I hope I can make people smile.