The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

North America / Caribbean > NRA News: Glamour Honoring Malala, Giffords Makes "The World A More Dangerous Place For Women"

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

NRA News host Cam Edwards claimed that Glamour magazine's Women of the Year Awards had an "anti-gun agenda" and made "the world a more dangerous place for women" because the event honored victims of gun violence, including Pakistani education reformer Malala Yousafzai who was shot by the Taliban.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/11/...

message 2: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments So, according to him, women would be safer if they walked around armed? O.o

I'm sure he'd like to make the world into another Wild West where gun duels at dawn solved all our problems and the good guys were always just a little quicker at the draw than the bad guys. Because that worked out really well...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Alicja wrote: "So, according to him, women would be safer if they walked around armed? O.o

I'm sure he'd like to make the world into another Wild West where gun duels at dawn solved all our problems and the good..."

These people are in straight-up denial of the facts. Every study I've heard of has shown that more guns means more gun-related deaths.

message 4: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments Of course. And having a gun means that it can be used against you, even if it didn't start off with a gun. The worst thing is a gun in someone's hands who doesn't know how to use it properly (and oh so many people don't). And then of course in bars or other places where people get drunk, that escalates the danger even more.