What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Historical romance, King orders Heroine to marry his loyal Knight!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I have been trying to find this book for what feels like forever. Can not remember title, author, or name. I remember that the hero, who had at least one girl child, was a favored knight of the king and I think he was unaware of who his father was. The Heroine was, at first, afraid of the hero because she thought he was a barbarian/ savage. That changes later after they are married. Someone is plotting against the hero and trying to make people think he's a traitor. A man and his family come to meet with hero and if I remember right they are heros family b his father. Heroine does not trust this man( I think he's heros brother) so she tricks him into going downstairs thinking she wants to talk about hero, instead she locks him in a cellar or something and goes back upstairs. When the family of the man realize he's missing they search the keep for him to no avail. Heroine later has to tell the truth and let him out. They are then attacked by the unknown villain.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Where was this set? And when? At the time the Norman's were over-running the Saxon's and many of the manors were being given over to the new nobles who followed William the Conqueror (aka, William the Bastard, so you get the idea of how the Saxon's viewed him.) Or when the Saxon's were over-running the Picts or when England was over-running Scotland or. . .

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Where was this set? And when? At the time the Norman's were over-running the Saxon's and many of the manors were being given over to the new nobles who followed William the Conqueror (aka, William ..."

Lol..I have no idea,that's one of the reasons I think I haven't been able to find it. All I remember is that the hero was (I think) the illegitimate son of a scottish laird but he is unaware of that. The father was trying to protect the hero. The king was english so the father thought the king might think the hero a traitor. I think that the lairds of Scotland controlled their lands but under the english king? Sorry if that doesnt help, feels kind of hopeless.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments Kris wrote: "The Lion's Bride by Connie Mason? The Lion's Bride by Connie Mason"

In the book I'm looking for they have to marry because the king wants the hero to keep an eye on that area( I think it's a border property and there have been problems there that could cause another war between Scotland and England). Also I remember that when their "keep" is attacked the heroine sees the villain, picks up a sword, and starts fighting him. She manages to get the upper hand and by then the fighting is over. They lock villain in the cellar she had used before, and then the king arrived. He had stopped while on his way somewhere else to question hero about what had been going on there. They prove villain was the real culprit and the king arrests him, taking him with them when they leave.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I've remembered something else about the book, the heroine had been abused/beaten by a family member (and/or first husband who died) and believes men are all beasts that abuse women. She doesn't trust the hero even though she is attracted to him. The hero was also good friends with the king and not just his knight

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments Please, please, please read my post and see if you might known which book this is...Thanks!

message 8: by Kris (last edited Dec 17, 2013 12:04PM) (new)

Kris | 34375 comments Mod
When did you read this book?

Here's a guess - Knight of Desire by Margaret Mallory? One reviewer on Amazon says: "Five years later, Lady Catherine betrays her husband in order to protect her king. Her husband was violent and abusive and she has no remorse in betraying him for the traitor that he was. On the day of her husband's death, she learns that his/her lands and castle are forfeit to William FitzAlan. The King has left her with no choice but to either be taken to the Tower or to marry FitzAlan. Reluctantly she chooses to marry William - as for William, he recognizes Catherine as the young girl he still thinks of and immediately marries her despite his doubts as to what type of woman can betray her husband."

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
Jessica, are you still looking for this book?

message 10: by Bernie (new)

Bernie (muttersome) | 12 comments There are a couple books by Julie Garwood that somewhat meet this description: Saving Grace and The Prize come to mind.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response from Jessica in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Leaving this in Abandoned, but bumping since Jessica posted today.