Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Favorite Holiday Reads

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2013 12:00PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments description

I love the holidays! I'm curious about your favorite holiday reads. Go ahead share them and increase my TBR! LOL!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Nov 17, 2013 02:43PM) (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments I haven't really read very many Christmas books, which surprises me, because I love the holidays. One of my favorites is Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas and I just finished 'Twas the Night after Christmas (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #6) by Sabrina Jeffries which I thought was a really nice read. Very Christmasy and it left me feeling warm and fuzzy. I have a bunch of Christmas books on my to-read list for this year, so hopefully there will be some good ones in that bunch.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Last year I went through all my freebies and read most of the Christmas related stories.I got some more this year so I'll be reading those.
We don't celebrate Christmas but I love reading the stories.

message 4: by Elishia (new)

Elishia | 2620 comments That's what i'm going to do Shosho, I just made a folder for Christmas ones and I have quite a few. Finished A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman today and its a really nice story (think it was free as well)

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Elishia wrote: "That's what i'm going to do Shosho, I just made a folder for Christmas ones and I have quite a few. Finished A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman today and its a really nice story (think it..."

Yes I have that one. I might read it this year.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Oh, I just thought of one I really liked last year: A Mackenzie Family Christmas The Perfect Gift (Highland Pleasures, #4.5) by Jennifer Ashley , but it's probably best enjoyed if you are already familiar with the series.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I read or listen to Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas every year. It has become a tradition.

I just received a back issue of one... an anthology. I'll Be Home for Christmas (Includes Bullet Catcher novella) by Linda Lael Miller

I tend to read anthologies because they are short and I'm always getting interrupted by the holidays.

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Nov 17, 2013 05:50PM) (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments I think I have that anthology tucked away in my TBR bookshelf, Lisa Kay.

I actually just started a Christmas book: Starry Night A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber . My first Debbie Macomber book!

I also have these planned: Merry Gentlemen by Josephine Myles Blame It On The Mistletoe by Eli Easton A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflowers, #5) by Lisa Kleypas Snowed Over by Angie Stanton and A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5) by Courtney Milan

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh... you've got some good one planned, Jenny!

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh... you've got some good one planned, Jenny!"

I hope I can actually get to them! Most of them are novella length so that should help. And a big bonus is that I already have all of them but one.

message 11: by Oleander (last edited Nov 18, 2013 05:25PM) (new)

Oleander | 188 comments I've only got two Christmas reads lined up so far this year.
Winter's Blood A Werewolf Novella by Zachery Richardson Rose, Undercover (Dead Roses, #1.1) by RaShelle Workman

message 12: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 19, 2013 02:27PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm planning to read Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1) by Sarah Morgan and maybe a couple of freebies.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, now I'm digging around for my Christmas books I haven't read. I have a 2:1 of A Christmas Bride/Christmas Beau by Mary Balogh and a hardcover of What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander .

I thought I had A Texas Christmas by Jodi Thomas - but I can't find it and it isn't 'tagged' on my PB shelf. Maybe I was good at the bookstore and resisted.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Gisela, I've had my eye on that one. Look forward to hearing what you think about it.

Lisa Kay, I almost bought What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander last year but didn't want to pay the hardcover price.

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The hardcover was on sale after Christmas, Jenny, that is why I grabbed it.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You ladies are a bad influence on me. I just ordered The Magic Of Christmas A Christmas Child \ The Christmas Dove \ A Baby Blue Christmas (Harlequin Historical Series) by Carolyn Davidson and One Starry Christmas by Carolyn Davidson because... you know, I don't have enough to read. ☺

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "The hardcover was on sale after Christmas, Jenny, that is why I grabbed it."

Ooo, score! I will probably pick it up eventually. If I'm being totally honest, I don't buy many books new (other than ebooks of course.) I like the thrill of the hunt at thrift stores and garage sales. LOL!

message 18: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2013 03:55PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I like this cover. A Cowboy's Christmas Wedding by Pamela Britton

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments I just finished Starry Night A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber and can't really recommend it. The beginning was good, not so much the rest. Macomber may not be my cuppa.

message 20: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Haven't read anything by her, for some reason the blurbs don't interest me at all.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Gisela wrote: "Haven't read anything by her, for some reason the blurbs don't interest me at all."

They normally don't do much for me either. I liked that this one was set in Alaska (although only the first half was actually there.) My mom is a fan of hers, but she said this book sounds very similar to another book of hers. She's still going to read it, but the similarities jumped out at her right away just from reading the blurb, so she may spend the whole book comparing them.

message 22: by Elishia (new)

Elishia | 2620 comments Oh Jenny I was hoping that one was good. I only read her recently and really liked the book I read.
I was just looking for a Blue christmas book and came across this, its free but not until the 1st Yuletide Tales A Festive Collective by Peter John

message 23: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:10PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Just finished Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1) by Sarah Morgan . I really liked it. Enjoyable story without being saccharine sweet.

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Elishia wrote: "Oh Jenny I was hoping that one was good. I only read her recently and really liked the book I read.
I was just looking for a Blue christmas book and came across this, its free but not until the 1st..."

It might work for some people. Just not so much for me. I think I'm getting more critical the older I get. I hope I remember to pick up that Christmas book when it comes out. I won't pass it up for free.

I'm glad the Sarah Morgan book was good, Gisela. I'm hoping to pick it up eventually.

message 25: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Cole | 2 comments Elishia wrote: "Oh Jenny I was hoping that one was good. I only read her recently and really liked the book I read.
I was just looking for a Blue christmas book and came across this, its free but not until the 1st..."

This looks good! Thanks for the heads up :)

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just finished The Cop Who Stole Christmas (Tall, Hot & Texan, #2) by Christie Craig which was great ,enough humor and mystery mixed with holidays spirit !

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments One more for my Christmas TBR!

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just finished reading The Christmas Honeymoon (Holiday Luv, #1) by Alicia Street and I gave it 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4)
I read Be Mine For Christmas by Alicia Street from the same authors last year. That was a 4 stars read for me

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Does anyone know of any good books centered around New Year's? I tried listopia but couldn't find what I was looking for.

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Jenny, the only three I have 'tagged' for that holiday are:
Midnight in Death (In Death, #7.5) by J.D. Robb Holiday Hideout by Vicki Lewis Thompson Her New Year's Knight by Selene Grace Silver

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Thanks, Lisa Kay! I'm not up to that In Death book yet, but I'll check out the other two. :)

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I have tagged these 2
The Haircut, a New Year's Tale by Donna Callea Not Another New Year's (Holidays, #2) by Christie Ridgway

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I didn't know PC wrote Upon a Winter's Night A MacKinnon's Rangers Christmas Novella by Pamela Clare . Where have I been?

message 34: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I just typed in New Year in the book search and starting with the second (and even more so the third) page there are a bunch of books with new year's in the title. Of course, that leaves out those books that take place at NYE but don't mention it in the title. Oh well.

I did come across this list of 10 NYE books: http://justtenbooks.blogspot.com/2010...

Funny. There are lists of books for jsut about any other topic, why not New Year's?

message 35: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Here is a list of Yuletide reads: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments ShoSho wrote: "I have tagged these 2
The Haircut, a New Year's Tale by Donna Callea Not Another New Year's (Holidays, #2) by Christie Ridgway"

Thanks, ShoSho! The Christie Ridgeway one sounds kind of fun (and it's pretty cheap.)

Also, thank you, Lara! I didn't do a general search because I figured I would get a mixed bag of results, but I'll check it out. I do wish there was a New Year's list, but perhaps there aren't enough books to really make one worthwhile.

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Here are some that I came up with after some searching:

Secrets of a Perfect Night by Stephanie Laurens Kiss and Tell (Sunrise Key Trilogy, #1) by Suzanne Brockmann Make Mine Midnight by Annmarie McKenna

message 38: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments Coincidentally I was poking around the Dear Author author promo thread for January and Melissa Cutler posted this one and said it was a NYE story. I don't think it's out just yet but looks like it might be fun.

Secret Agent Secretary (ICE Black Ops Defenders #2) by Melissa Cutler

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks for all the books, ladies. I've been 'tagging' right and left.

message 40: by Judy (new)

Judy I think the anthology Midnight Kiss (Includes Virgin River, #12) by Robyn Carr Has NYE stories in it- I haven't read it though.

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments BTW, I meant to say, I finally got around to Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1) by Sarah Morgan and just loved it.

message 42: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Glad you liked it LK!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.