Vintage Tales discussion

General > What movies do you guys want to see coming to theaters soon?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Nov 16, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) What movies do you guys want to see coming to theaters soon?

I want to see
Frozen
Saving Mr. Banks
The new hobbit movie
Delivery Man
free birds
Thor the dark world
Madea Christmas
and that's it theater wise

the rest I'll wait for dvd for but I hope sanitarium, the last showing and Kantemir all get dvd release dates soon because I'd like to check them out. They all look pretty good. I want to see Circus of the dead too.

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Hands down The Hobbit. I'm interested to see where they end it, because in the trailer it seems to be at the start of the Battle of the Five Armies, but the stuff after that won't fill a whole film at all.

Catching Fire is coming out in like 2 weeks, and I really want to see how they've done the arena. Thor 2 is on my list, but I don't know when I'll see that.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Okay cool. I hope you have fun seeing catching fire. I'm not a hunger games fan so I am skipping those films. was never interested in them. I want to see Thor 2 but may have to wait for dvd for that one.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) The first Hunger Games film was good, it just didnt have the tension that was present in the books.

Thor 2 I'm actually not that interested in. I have seen Enders Game though, which was top on my list to see, seeing as its one of my favourite novels.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) oh. Have fun seeing that one too.

message 6: by Josefien (new)

Josefien The Hobbit!! :D Though I'm not sure about certain characters that appear to be in the movie...

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) They have changed it slightly, which I'm slightly worried about, but I love Legolas so I don't mind :)

message 8: by Josefien (new)

Josefien Yes, Legolas. But he doesn't really appear in the Hobbit. And then there is that female elf Tauriel....

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) He doesn't appear at all in the Hobbit. Although they did give a valid explanation for him being there. Since elves have such long lives, it makes sense that he would have been around then, and therefore he would have at least fought in the Battle of the Five Armies.

Apparently Bard has a bigger part than he has in the book, which I can't work out how that's going to happen. Plus in the Battle of the Five Armies, Azog's son actually fights in them. Which is just confusing...

message 10: by Liân (new)

Liân | 59 comments I have to be honest, I had a lot of reservations when i first learned they were making The Hobbit into a trilogy, since it's such a short book. But I really enjoyed the first film, and I think they are using The Silmarillion to pad out the story, and I'm okay with that. I've decided I'm just going to let myself enjoy what they make for what it is, regardless.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Definitely. Ultimately, as long as they use elements from Tolkien's literature rather than making stuff up, I'm happy. At least they're not massively changing the plot, nor are they randomly making loads of new characters.

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) I'm hopefully seeing Catching Fire either tomorrow or Saturday :) very excited!

message 13: by Liân (new)

Liân | 59 comments Did you see it, Holly? How was it?

message 14: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Lian - Definitely - I totally agree. It shouldn't really be called "The Hobbit", but something else, "BASED ON "The Hobbit"". Best to think of it completely separately I think. I ended up seeing the first part of "The Hobbit" 5 times in the cinema!

Otherwise, please if you can all, go to see "Saving Mr Banks" which is showing now in British cinemas. It is superb. I went on about it a lot in another thread though :)

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I def want to see it. It's out in theaters Friday here. :-)

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I liked it.... I was a bit put off by the choice of camera speed in the beginning (at least I think that's what gave it that TV Special look) but once I got used to it, I thought it was ok. I knew they were feeding a lot of the Simarillion into the screenplay to stretch it out that far, so I didn't get my jimmies too rustled by the liberties taken with the plot. I loved Stephen Fry as the Master of Laketown, and the actor who played Thranduil is a favorite of mine (the Pieman from Pushing Daisies - one of those shows that really should have lasted much longer than it did).

I didn't much like the shoe-horning in of Legolas and that female elf they made up, but it wasn't enough of a thing to really bother me. I might give it four stars if I had to rate it - really it would be just shy of four, but we'll round up.

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'm excited to see the film version of the fault in our stars that comes out in June. I'd like to see the film version of Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume too.

message 18: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I want to see "The Invisible Woman" which is about Dickens' relationship with Nelly Ternan. Having to wait for it here :( though I think it had a limited release in the States.

It's based onThe Invisible Woman by Claire Tomalin, one of our best literary biographers.

message 19: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) Jean wrote: "I want to see "The Invisible Woman" which is about Dickens' relationship with Nelly Ternan. Having to wait for it here :( though I think it had a limited release in the States.

It's based on[book:..."

Me too Jean can't wait :)

message 20: by keepitplainjane (new)

keepitplainjane | 2 comments I want to see 'Grand Budapest Hotel' and 'Veronica Mars'. (And I cannot wait for 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier')

message 21: by Noam (new)

Noam 12 Years a Slave
Dallas Buyers Club
Anchorman 2
The Monuments Men

Recently saw HER which was great!

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Saw saving mr banks and shrek the musical. Both are really good! Glad you liked her noam! It's an oscar nomination this year for best film. :-)

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) The Fault in Our stars trailer just got released recently and it was pretty good. I can't wait to see it this June. I want to see Frozen too when it comes out to dvd and the wind rises too.

message 24: by Werner (new)

Werner | 613 comments Mod
I've recently seen advertisements for the new movie Into the Woods, and I think it definitely has possibilities! However, my wife and I very seldom go to movies in theaters (and haven't at all for the last few years); so if I see it, it'll be on DVD or TV.

message 25: by Werner (new)

Werner | 613 comments Mod
Hmmmm! I just checked out the imdb database link for Into the Woods at www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411 , and discovered that it's a musical. That would diminish my enthusiasm for seeing it, since on the whole I don't especially like the concept of musicals. That's probably partly because I'm tone deaf; it also strikes me as unrealistic to have characters bursting into song at crucial moments. Of course, I like some of the animated Disney musicals (and I think "Paint With all the Colors of the Wind" in Disney's Pocahontas is one of the most beautiful songs ever written --I can enjoy some music, even if I hear it differently than most people do). But generally, I like them despite the fact that they're musicals, not because of it.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth I don't watch new movies very often. But I watched the trailer for Jupiter Ascending, which comes out next month, and it looks pretty good. I may wait until it comes out on DVD though.