Editors and Writers discussion

Is this a good deal?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Curtell (new)

Curtell | 9 comments My editor is charging me $5.25 per thousand words. My grammar is hectic I will admit. This will be my first novel.

message 2: by Naiya (last edited Nov 16, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Naiya | 13 comments Yes, if your editor knows what he or she is doing, that's a great deal. It comes out to $1.31 per page and about half a cent per word.

Aside: a nice shortcut to getting some context for what you're getting (as a writer) or offering (if you're an editor) is to translate the prices to an hourly wage.

For example, if you're the editor offering 5.25 per thousand words and are from the United States, you would need to be doing about 1,500 words per hour to make minimum wage, and perhaps a little bit more to make living wage.

Because most proofreaders will probably average reading less than 1,500 words per hour when editing, and it doesn't take into account the skills value of someone who can proofread, $5.25 per hour is a deal for the author, and a not-so-much-of-a-deal for the editor.

message 3: by Curtell (new)

Curtell | 9 comments You've made some really great points. I never looked at it like that. Thank you!!!

message 4: by Devon (new)

Devon Ellington (devonellington) | 6 comments Curtell wrote: "My editor is charging me $5.25 per thousand words. My grammar is hectic I will admit. This will be my first novel."

That is an incredibly cheap rate. I'm assuming the editor only edits on the side and doesn't work as a full-time professional.

message 5: by Curtell (new)

Curtell | 9 comments actually he does. hes very popular

message 6: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Maync-matsumoto | 2 comments Well, I hope he comes up to expectations.