Great African Reads discussion

Archived | Book news & releases > New Books in 2014

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments While I have not yet read all of the 2013 releases that I wanted - I already have a list of 2014 releases by African writers (1 or 2 will not be African writers but will note why on my list below).

It looks like 2014 will be a very good year!

Please note that I am US-based so the books I am listing will be 2014 US release dates.
Most of the books will be released in the first half of 2014.

Radiance of Tomorrow - Ishmael Beah
Bingo's Run - James A Levine (non-African writer but set in Kenya)
The Secret History of Las Vegas: A Novel - Chris Abani
Foreign Gods, Inc. - Okey Ndibie
Dust - Yvonne Adhiambo Owuar
The Fall of Saints - Wanjiku wa Ngugi
Lagoon - Nnedi Okorafor
Murder at Cape Three Points - Kwei Quartey
All Our Names - Dinaw Mengestu
The Orchard of Our Lost Souls - Nadifa Mohamed
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson (non-African writer but the female protagonist is from South African and also touches on the immigrant issue)
Boy, Snow, Bird - Helen Oyeyemi

message 2: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
i might have to appoint you our New Books Guru, Beverly!

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 171 comments Nice! I actually just added two of those to my TBR list last week...looks like I will be adding more :)

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 205 comments Looks like a great list. Some of the authors I know, some are very new to me.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Wentling | 36 comments Beverly, This is a truly amazing list. How do you do it? I am excited about seeing so many books written by Africans from different parts of the continent.I am pleased to see that you have a couple of non-Africans because they write about subjects of interest to Africans and set in Africa.

This encourages me as I am pouring all my heart out and all I have learned over these past 43 years of working and living in every corner of Africa into my trilogy, starting this year with the publication of "Africa's Embrace" in September and next year with the sequel, "Africa's Redemption." My African family and friends are rooting for me. I hope all my Goodreads friends are doing so too.

Mark Wentling (Chief Baobab in Ouagadougou)

message 6: by LDB (last edited Nov 17, 2013 03:59AM) (new)

LDB | 66 comments Thanks for posting these. I have now added yet more books to my TBR list. Looks like 2014 will indeed be an exciting year of reading!

message 7: by Muphyn (last edited Jan 15, 2014 04:38PM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Wow, Beverley, nice list! Should provide our Contemp lit reads with lots of ideas (not that we're short on ideas there... ;).

Would people appreciate actual links to the books? If so, I'm happy to do that here.

Feel free to keep posting new books here...

message 8: by Melanie (last edited Jan 16, 2014 07:41AM) (new)

Melanie | 171 comments Just finished Radiance of Tomorrow - enjoyed it.