Readers of Kindle Books discussion

Just for Fun! > E-books vs Paperbacks and hardcovers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W (Thereader1) | 2 comments Everyone has a personal preference when it comes to reading, i enjoy both a physical book and e-book. With an e-book, you get it immediately and you can start reading, on the other hand, a physical book to hold is awesome as you turn the pages.Which do you prefer? Found this funny blog about e-books. http://bookriot.com/2012/11/16/e-read...

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Nov 18, 2013 04:09PM) (new)

Kathy (kathyereads) | 21 comments I love the smell and the feel of a DTB, but I love my kindle too. With the kindle I can carry an entire library with me wherever I go and don't have to worry about finishing my book and having nothing to read while away from home.

That blog was amusing, ridiculous, but amusing.

message 3: by Wm. Scott (last edited Dec 18, 2013 08:04AM) (new)

Wm. Scott Conway (wsconway) | 1 comments I love reading on the Kindle when I am reading linearly (Front to Back). I have found research using reference books on a Kindle to be tedious and tiresome. I love the fact that I can take an entire library with me with my Kindle, but this perk to e-readers is dying off with the noticable lack of on-board storage on actual devices, presumably compensated for with storage in the "cloud".

Apparently, Amazon thinks people always have access to wireless networks. In rural Appalachia, where I am from, some of the best places to read are marked by a lack of wi-fi access. You don't see many wireless routers in the backwoods trails of the Smokies.

I love the way the Kindle holds every bookmark to every book I've started but failed to finish, not to mention every highlight and every note.

I love the way Kindle book loaning will give you the book back after two weeks regardless. I have lost many physical books by loaning them to friends who go off the grid afterwards.

I love the feel and smell of old codex books (I know the smell is actually the feces of dust mites, but I still think it is a very nostalgic smell).

I do not like the fact that Kindles are following the trend of most electronic devices these days, that is, being developed with the idea of "scheduled obsoletion". Who wants to buy a Kindle every year or two? Not me. When I buy one I want it to work and function as long as possible. I don't want it to go obsolete before it actually dies.

Certainly, buying a new device every year or so offsets the savings gained by buying Kindle books.

It is a 50/50 split for me. Being able to carry my entire library around might eek out a slight lead for the Kindle... but as I said, as onboard storage gets sacrificed for "cloud" storage, their lead will narrow drastically. It is one thing to be dependent upon a electronic device to be able to get to your books. It is quite another thing to be forced to depend on wi-fi access to get to your books.

message 4: by Teri Pre (new)

Teri Pre | 455 comments Mod
Actually, you don't really need wifi as long as you have a computer handy! I transfer almost all of my books via USB. Saves me having to pay extra for the 3G model!