Afterwords Books discussion

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
Book Talk > Why We Love Dogs...

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ryan (rlnj83) | 140 comments Mod
So this book is only 150 pages long! Looks like it could be slightly dense but at that length even Will can muck through it (jk, Will).

The book also has a built in discussion guide which may prove helpful.

Will | 8 comments I'm going to hold you to that, Ryan.

Book contains a quote by ghandi eight off the bat, " the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

This doesn't seem bacon friendly.

Page 8, holocaust reference.....

message 5: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Robien | 48 comments Wait till you get to slavery...

Now I'm in the mood to watch the matrix.

message 7: by Neil (new)

Neil | 1 comments When I sat down with this book I was expecting an experience similar to the one I had pushing thirty years ago, when I read a very interesting book "The Sacred Cow and the abominable Pig" Marvin Harris 1987. In fact the first thing I did was to check the bibliography; since this was a book whose stated theme was to cover the same topic: how the various food cultures around the world evolved. Why horse meat was great in France but illegal in England.

I was quite surprised that "Sacred Cow" was not listed. Hmmmmm. Well, factory farming was in its infancy in the eighties. Maybe this was an updated perspective? Alas, no. Rather than an insightful look at our various food cultures, and the reasons they developed, it was a morality tale that really had a quite specific agenda. I don't debate the fact that such a book has a place on the shelf; I haven't had KFC once in the last ten years without an image of a beakless bird in my mind. And the conditions both in and around such facilities are quite toxic for man and beast.

But I have read volumes on the subject in the past several years. Had I realized what the book was really about I would have just moved on to the next choice. I get it. Food isn't grown in styrofoam flats (yet...). I spent my last few years before I left home living in the country. We had it all; cows, pigs, chickens and a horse. I am firmly in the camp of people should know what has to happen to get their favorite meal. But, in my opinion PETA is a terrorist group.

Oh, for goodness sake. While all of the above is true my intent was just to give people who wanted what this book claimed to be to have the choice of a very good book that actually give the cultural information in a non-moralistic way; just relating the history in the context of the conditions of the day.

The Sacred Cow and The Abominable Pig. Marvin Harris 1987