THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Giveaway advive

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Furchtenicht | 16 comments I recently put my book, Dimebag Bandits, up for a giveaway. When I was sent the name and address of the winner I attempted to contact them to see if he wanted the book signed or personalized. After no response for several days I sent the book to him unsigned. A week later I noticed that a "new" listing for my book was listed on Amazon marketplace by a seller who undercut my sale price by 5 dollars. Low and behold, the winners address showed up in the sellers info along with many other books I have seen on givaways. A word of advice. You cannot control what someone does with your book once it is in their hands. It is theirs and they have the right to do with it as the wish. My only regret is that I did not sign and personalize it first. At least it would not be listed as "new". Just saying.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie (dragonsusie) | 17 comments Was this via a GR giveaway?

I've heard of this thing happening before. I'm not too sure how this stands from a GR perspective, apart from the fact that those who don't review books are less likely to win in the future. So, therefore, I'd contact customer support about it and ask for their advice at least.

message 3: by Craig (new)

Craig Furchtenicht | 16 comments Yes. It was a GR book giveaway.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie (dragonsusie) | 17 comments I just double-checked the giveaway rules and there's nothing in there that says a winner can't sell the book. However, I would still contact customer support about it, being as GR do have control over who wins giveaways.

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig Furchtenicht | 16 comments It doesn't bother me that they sold the book as much as it does that it appears my book is not the only one.

message 6: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Henderson Boozer | 6 comments Wow...never dreamed this would ever be a topic from a book giveaway! My book was written for awarness and charity. I guess if one more person knows about my book, that's great. For you writters making a living off of writing, that's another story! Thanks for the tip. My next giveaway will be autographed!

message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 73 comments I just read the book and it is quite good! Whoever buys it from the giveaway winner is getting a bargain!

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Keefer | 9 comments I think that happened to me as well...

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate McVaugh | 7 comments Ahhh.....maybe that is what happened to the books in my giveaway. A total of 10 books, diligently sent out the day I received the addresses of the winners, all signed - plus a little note to each. Only one person ever posted a review/added it to their shelf. I still find it all rather upsetting - it is costly to give away/mail out 10 books. If people are truly not interested in the books, maybe they shouldn't enter the giveaways.

message 10: by Craig (new)

Craig Furchtenicht | 16 comments Thanks Carmen. I am glad you enjoyed it. That's one way of looking at it. Hopefully someone will buy it and appreciate that copy.

message 11: by Kristi (last edited Nov 27, 2013 12:21PM) (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 84 comments I know at least one of the 22 books I've given away (over three different titles) ended up reselling on Amazon.

I only got one review out of all that, too. But I did get a lot of interest and people marking it as TBR.

In future, I think I will keep it to two copies at a time to mitigate costs but still drum up that exposure. I know that I have purchased a couple books that I didn't win in a giveaway.

Somebody somewhere will read my book, no matter how they got it, and when the next one comes out, they will remember how much they enjoyed the last one, and pick it up.

That's my takeaway from my experience, at any rate.

message 12: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Renay | 4 comments I'm a newly published author and just generated my first giveaway. I was so thrilled at how many people marked it as TBR that I didn't stop to think that people would win a free copy of my book just to re-sell it. After reading about some of you guys experience with it, I'm glad I'm starting with just three copies of my book to giveaway.

I also plan to sign each of them before sending them off.

This is such a great format to learn of these types of occurences and I appreciate the warnings and advice from you all.

I just hope once I get the hang of this all, I'm able to make solid contributions as well.

message 13: by Saf (new)

Saf  (saph95) As a reader/reviewer, I enter a lot of giveaways purely because I want to find out about new less popular authors and start reading different genres of books to become a little more diverse.

I never ever re-sell books that I've won or have received from the author to review, for a few reasons actually:

I love collecting books and adding to my collection always makes me happy!

I disagree with reselling books from giveaways, some people actually want the books and with the poor odds on goodreads giveaways, someone who really wanted the book isn't likely to get it because there's only 1 book available and 1000 people requesting, so it's not really fair that people will request to win the book just to sell it and make some petty money.

Another reason I enter giveaways is because I like reviewing books that I wouldn't normally pick up. 1. For the reason mentioned above- because I want to read a more diverse range of books and I want my blog (http://originalbooker.blogspot.co.uk) to cater for readers of all genres. And 2. Because I just love reviewing and the more books I can get my hands on to review the better.

It benefits both me and the authors so it's a win-win situation! We're not all in it just to re-sell the books we've won:)

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 54 comments you are still covered by copyrights even if you never paid if they are reproducing your work but the book was theirs to do with as they wished. Your electronic versions can also be pinched off Amazon and put on another site if you are unlucky.

message 15: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Henderson Boozer | 6 comments Wow, this has been an eye-opening discussion. I appreciate all the information I have walked away with! I just rec'd info on the person who won my book,a new member to goodreads...maybe I lucked out :) Happy Thanksgiving to all!