Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Edward Rutherfurd

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dean (new)

Dean Rowan (DTRowan) | 1 comments Having just completed Paris, and in the past year 2 other of his novels, I was surprised not to see his name listed. Is he not an author considered in the same league as the others listed?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | -1 comments I've loved London (favourite), Dublin, Russka, Sarum, The Forest, not so much New York and haven't read Paris yet. Definitely high on my list!

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments There is a thread here about him: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Allie (new)

Allie Loved London too and was looking forward to Paris and Serum but reading his The Princes of Ireland and its awful. 300 pages in and I hate the thought of reading more but I can't stop now.

message 5: by Allie (new)

Allie Oops Sarum

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments I just finished "Forest," and before that "Sarum." On my shelf to read are "London" and "New York." A friend will also lend me the Ireland series. "The Princes of Ireland" and "The Rebels of Ireland."

"Forest was more like a series of short stories. Each moved into a later time zone, with threads to the past, but pretty much stand alone tales.

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote: "Loved London too and was looking forward to Paris and Serum but reading his The Princes of Ireland and its awful. 300 pages in and I hate the thought of reading more but I can't stop now."

Thanks for the warning. My grandfather was born in Ireland, hence my interest.

"Sarum" is a marathon.

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie I'd say all his books are marathons lol.

Oh no! My blatant opinion has scared you off. My grandmother was a Celt from the very tiptop of Scotland so I too am interested in the Celtic past but really, there's gotta be better books out there on it. Good luck!

message 9: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomlizaperrat) I have never heard of this author before, but in the last few weeks his name/books seem to be everywhere, and very highly recommended... More for the TBR pile!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a big fan of his and am looking forward to reading Paris.

message 11: by Daisy (last edited Nov 19, 2013 04:51AM) (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) Liz wrote: I have never heard of this author before, but in the last few weeks his name/books seem to be everywhere, and very highly recommended... More for the TBR pile!

It's been the same experience for me and I've also added Edward Rutherfurd to my TBR. Perhaps even one of my next reads!

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe Whitney | 8 comments I have like his books that I have read: Sarum, London,The Forest. I liked Sarum the best. I couldn't get into the Irish ones either, though. Too bad, because that is my heritage. I am looking forward to reading Paris.

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote: "I'd say all his books are marathons lol.

Oh no! My blatant opinion has scared you off."

Hi Allie,

Rutherfurd's Irish tales are freebie books for me, so I will attempt at least one for granddad's sake.

One of my cousins recommended Leon Uris' "Trinity" as a tale more associated with our grandfather's up bringing in Ireland. This was a surprise to me, because all the Leon Uris books I had read were associated with the Jewish faith and people. Interesting books, but like any author and venue, enough was enough for me and I never revisited Uris again. Now I will go back and try "Trinity."

message 14: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 680 comments I read Trinity last year and thought it was great!

message 15: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann Thornton | 1 comments I'm 134 pages into Paris by Edward Rutherfurd. At the rate I'm going, it will be the last book I ever read! Loved New York, but the chapters in this book are not chronological. With so many characters, the story is hard to follow.

message 16: by Allie (new)

Allie Hi Allie,

Rutherfurd's Irish tales are freebie books for me, so I will attempt at least one ..."

Hi Eric,
Well, if they were free, I guess you have nothing to lose! Except 700 pages of your life :) Hmmmmm....what could I recommend.... there's Frank Delaney's Ireland. Its about a 9 year old boy receiving a visit from a mysterious stranger that tells him Irelands greatest tales. Generally well received. For non fiction try Thomas Cahill's How the Irish Saved Civilization. Also generally well received. If your interested in art at all or how it influenced Irish culture, Miranda Green has some good books. Hope this helps! Its fascinating to go back through one's own cultural background....ugh, except I have like 10 of them! Trying to teach myself Polish for one grandmother. Ha! Not going so well :)

message 17: by Allie (new)

Allie Oops. Forgot there was another part to your post but I've just been rambling on! Never heard of Trinity, I'll have to check it out!

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote:
Hi Eric,
Well, if they were free, I guess you have nothing to lose! Except 700 pages of your life."

Funny, Allie. 700 pages of my life. :)

Thanks for the recommendations. Delaney's "Ireland" I've heard about and then forgotten. Once I get back home to my Kindle, I'll check that out and your others. I left the Kindle home, as I thought it would take me forever to get through "Forest," while on the road in hotel-land and ended up with more free time than I expected. Soooooooo, "Forest" is done and I'm still not home. I left for a two day trip, on October 22nd. Here it is Nov. 23rd... Hopefully, I drive home the day before T-Day.

Luck with your Polish. I've only Irish/Gaelic and German to worry about.

message 19: by Allie (new)

Allie No problem :)
I feel your pain, I'm stuck at my sisters house babysitting my 10 month old nephew and forgot to bring books. Its only been 3 days but I'm like noooooooooooo. Can't imagine going as long as you without something to read. Hope you get home in time for the holiday!

message 20: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) Allie wrote: "No problem :)
I feel your pain, I'm stuck at my sisters house babysitting my 10 month old nephew and forgot to bring books. Its only been 3 days but I'm like noooooooooooo. Can't imagine going as l..."

Allie - being caught with time but nothing to read is my very worst nightmare. That's why I love ereaders so much - you load 'em up and you're good to go. Re Rutherfurd, I'm a huge fan of his stuff, but not "NY" - I was very disappointed with that one because I loved London and Sarum SO SO SO much. Looking forward to Paris though!

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments LemonLinda wrote: "I read Trinity last year and thought it was great!"

Thanks for the review. I'll get it on my Kindle whenever I get home.

message 22: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote: "No problem :)
I feel your pain, I'm stuck at my sisters house babysitting my 10 month old nephew and forgot to bring books. Its only been 3 days but I'm like noooooooooooo. Can't imagine going as l..."

Wow! Ten months old and no reading material. :(

I'm looking at the storm heading toward Pennsylvania and may elect to make my drive home from Philadelphia to just east of Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving to avoid the weather, as well as the holiday traffic. I left my freezer fairly well stocked. I'll figger something for T-Day dinner.

Just being home will be special enough.

message 23: by Allie (new)

Allie Martin wrote: "Allie wrote: "No problem :)
I feel your pain, I'm stuck at my sisters house babysitting my 10 month old nephew and forgot to bring books. Its only been 3 days but I'm like noooooooooooo. Can't imag..."

Technically, you can always forget your nooks/kindles too! :) Haven't read New York....the European cities are more my bag. Can't wait for Paris either!

message 24: by Allie (new)

Allie Eric wrote: "Allie wrote: "No problem :)
I feel your pain, I'm stuck at my sisters house babysitting my 10 month old nephew and forgot to bring books. Its only been 3 days but I'm like noooooooooooo. Can't imag..."

Didn't have much free time with the little monster running around anyway. There's nap time but auntie Allie was napping too! :) your situation stinks! I hope you make it home safe before this storm I keep hearing about happens.

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda | -42 comments Oh, how I hate quitting a book after reading 300 pages, but I just have to, I am sooooo bored with Russka The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherfurd ! I plan on reading Forest (couldn't get the link to come up) in a few months.

message 26: by Allie (new)

Allie I feel your pain Linda. I gave up on The Princes of Ireland after reading 420 pages! But I just couldn't do it any more :(

message 27: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) Linda wrote: "Oh, how I hate quitting a book after reading 300 pages, but I just have to, I am sooooo bored with Russka The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherfurd! I plan on reading Forest (couldn't get the link t..."

You're not alone, Linda. I love his work but I gave up on that one too.

message 28: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote: "Eric wrote: "Allie wrote:"There's nap time but auntie Allie was napping too! :)"

Glad you got your beauty sleeps. I drove home today, T-day. Heavy volume on the PA turnpike. Many delayed their travels due to weather, I'm sure. Snow greeted me at home. Not much, but white. Safely in my cave again with books.

Happy Thanksgiving!

message 29: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 26 comments This gives ironical credence to the old saying: “Different strokes for different folks.” I’ve read all of Edward Rutherfurd’s books and have enjoyed every one. Some are more palatable than others but I have never struggled to read any of his books. The same can’t be said for The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. The book, and indeed the entire series, has been highly praised. I had to struggle through more than four hundred pages before it sparked my interest. I guess the life of a child hunter/gatherer needs time to grow on you. Now, thanks in part to my tenacity, I have no doubt that I will read the entire series this next year. This (to me) shows that every book has its virtues and if you can stay with it you will be better and wiser.

message 30: by Allie (new)

Allie Eric wrote: "Allie wrote: "Eric wrote: "Allie wrote:"There's nap time but auntie Allie was napping too! :)"

Glad you got your beauty sleeps. I drove home today, T-day. Heavy volume on the PA turnpike. Many ..."

Good, you made it! I'm glad your back in "your cave" all safe and sound. Now get to reading! :)

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote: "Now get to reading."

Am doing an interim Clive Cussler I picked up in a drug store. Next up is Rutherfurd's "London." Hope it doesn't dwell on the plague. I'm plagued out from other accounts.

message 32: by Allie (new)

Allie London starts a little slow but stick with it! However the plague does factor in in the centuries it was most prevalent. What would be a story in the middle ages without a little bubonic plague thrown in? :)

message 33: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10225 comments Allie wrote: "London starts a little slow but stick with it! However the plague does factor in in the centuries it was most prevalent. What would be a story in the middle ages without a little bubonic plague thr..."

Thanks for the warning. I'll try to skim through the part where the rats arrive at the dock.

message 34: by Allie (new)

Allie Thom wrote: "This gives ironical credence to the old saying: “Different strokes for different folks.” I’ve read all of Edward Rutherfurd’s books and have enjoyed every one. Some are more palatable than others b..."

This was not the case with Wolf Hall and I. Did not get any better and the wiser thing for me to havevdonevwas putbit down unfinished :(

message 35: by Allie (new)

Allie *have done was.

I was hitting "v" instead of space on my stupid tablet.

message 36: by Joe (new)

Joe Whitney | 8 comments I just finishedNew York and I thought it was quite good.

message 37: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellelee) | 1 comments I absolutely love Rutherfurd!!! I'm always recommending his books. Especially New York which gave me the best American history lesson of my life. I think every American student should read this book. As for the Irish series I also couldn't finish the first one.
Ruska was really enlightening to the history of Russia.

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 463 comments Ellen wrote: "I absolutely love Rutherfurd!!! I'm always recommending his books. Especially New York which gave me the best American history lesson of my life. I think every American student should read this boo..."

I recently read París by Edward Rutherfurd and enjoyed it tremendously. I've heard great things about "New York", and I really enjoyed his London by Edward Rutherfurd .

The writing is not fabulous, but he tells a great story.

message 39: by Erica (new)

Erica | 355 comments I've only read Russka but also have Dublin at home. My Mum is always raving about how good Sarum is too; she keeps a copy on her bookshelf st all times to lend to friends.

message 40: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dobson | 18 comments Never heard of Rutherfurd before, but, after this discussion, immediately downloaded "New York." Can't wait to get into it!

message 41: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 26 comments You won't regret it!

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dobson | 18 comments I think I must have started it before, because I remember the bit about the wampum belt.

message 43: by Deborah Wells (new)

Deborah Wells These look like really interesting books. Just put a couple of them on my shelf to read. Thanks for the tip!

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dobson | 18 comments Let us know what you think.

message 45: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Russka: The Novel of Russia is one of my all-time favorite books! New York: The Novel was really good, too.

message 46: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I hope to get round to reading Paris, which has been on my to-read list for a long time.

message 47: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 7987 comments London was a 5 star book for me. Have still to read the others.

message 48: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I have read and enjoyed all of his books except I haven't read Paris yet it is the third book in my to be read stack in my closet. I hope I like it as much as I did the others.

message 49: by Juliet (new)

Juliet Valcourt (julietvalcourt) | 13 comments I loved Paris and I plan on reading London in 2018!

message 50: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 52 comments I have not read any books by Rutherfurd, but do have some on my shelf. Maybe I will make that one of my goals for 2018.

« previous 1