Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > The Freakshow by Bryan Smith (Spoiler warning)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Hello all, a buddy read for The Freakshow is starting Monday. So far we have
Justin
Kate
Mehmet
Anyone else is welcome to join, just let me know. Happy reading !!!!

message 2: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments I think I will read along with you guys.

message 3: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments lovely stuff :-)
So the new roll call is :
Justin
Kate
Ken
Mehmet

message 4: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments This will be my second Bryan Smith book, the first I read was Depraved. Really enjoyed the story line and looking forward to try another book of his.

message 5: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments This is my first Bryan Smith.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments I have read quit a few of his, my favorite is Kayla and the devil and it is on sale on Amazon for .99 right now. I'm also reading the dark ones for a group read in my paced reading group. We read and discuss 25% each week, and I'm loving that one as well. I will start this tonight.

message 7: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Thanks for that Justin its also on sale in UK kindle for 77 pence ! Sounds interesting. I started the book now, so far so good :-)

message 8: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments I have only ever participated in buddy reads for short stories. What are the rules here? Chapter by chapter discussions? Spoiler tags?

message 9: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Spoiler tags Ken, just read at your own pace and if you want to discuss something use the tag.

message 10: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments I am 27% through the story, this book is pure comic book crazy, interesting but nutty.

message 11: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments I'm right there with you. Liking it!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Definitely a crazy book

message 13: by Mehmet (last edited Nov 20, 2013 05:02AM) (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Ever seen Killer clowns from outer space ? The evil clowns in the book reminds me of that movie a little. Not a whole lot as there is much more to this book

message 14: by Ken B (last edited Nov 20, 2013 10:36PM) (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments I am up to 60% and the book seems to have taken a random turn.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Yep very Random Ken, think that is Bryan smith style. Depraved was like that.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments I'm not very far in, only 14%. (view spoiler)
I'm liking the characters so far, especially Heather. Her boyfriend is a complete douche and I think he's going to cause her a few problems later on.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments Getting started right now, sorry I am so fast behind.

message 18: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments Finished! My review:

I don't mind reading an occasional gore novel if the underlying story is intriguing. Unfortunately, Smith leaves way too many important details in this novel until the very end of the story. As such, the last few pages bailed out what seemed to be a very weak story with a lot of incredibly random events.

3 STARS

message 19: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Finished the book last night. I enjoyed the novel, it never come together quite as well as Depraved. But i will certainly be reading more of his books. Want to write a review for both bryan smith novels i read. The ending was very weak but overall a good fun novel.

message 20: by Ken B (last edited Nov 25, 2013 07:06PM) (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments Kate wrote: "I'm not very far in, only 14%. [spoilers removed]
I'm liking the characters so far, especially Heather. Her boyfriend is a complete douche and I think he's going to cause her a few problems later on."

Yes, the boyfriend is a douche. Why do I picture Ashton Kutcher?

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Now I'm going to picture Ashton Kutcher every time I read this. Not good.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Kate (last edited Nov 29, 2013 11:02PM) (new)

Kate | 3519 comments I just finished this today. I'm rating it 4*, I really enjoyed it but it sort of lost me a bit 3/4 of the way through. (view spoiler)Still a good fun read and I'm looking forward to reading some more of his work. Might start Depraved next.

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim Bedair | 109 comments I'm starting late but i'm in been wanting to read this one

message 24: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Never to late Tim :-) This your first Bryan Smith ?

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments I'm at about 15% is all, I'm having trouble getting into it. Balloon like clowns? Seems kind of dumb. I might not finish it.

message 26: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Ohhh :-( i liked the crazy clowns.

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments It's just kind of weird.

message 28: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Justin wrote: "It's just kind of weird."

It is weird but stick with it. I got hooked a little further in when the plot starts to develop.

message 29: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Did you finish Justin?