poetry republic discussion

Member's Work > Reading Moliere

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marti (last edited Nov 16, 2013 03:07AM) (new)

Marti Martinson | 49 comments (A comic kyrielle)

Though you, J. B., were really hot,
I could never summon a laugh
Until I heard and saw the plot
Of "Tartuffe" – the impostor's gaffe.

Your "Schools" are not for academe,
And "Scapin" is naught but riffraff;
Can't forget my busted inseam
At "Tartuffe" – the impostor's gaffe.

"Dom Juan" may be just a male slut
And the "Impromptu" just your staff;
Reading you now I know you're nuts
In "Tartuffe" – the impostor's gaffe.

Note: Moliere's real name was Jean Baptiste Poquelin; hence, the J.B.

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip Lee | 80 comments Mod
I didn't quite get this, until I sang it in our stairwell to the best-known psalm chant. Now the foot of our stairs isn't quite cathedral, but there's enough marble and solid wood to give your words a nice echo. Very drole!

message 3: by Marti (new)

Marti Martinson | 49 comments Would that chant be The Old 100? :)

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip Lee | 80 comments Mod
Not having a psalm chanter to hand... the one that goes,

"dah dah dah, dah dah daah
dah dah dah, dee dee daah..."

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark (marklaskowski) | 18 comments Confidently structured (perhaps my biggest problem).

I don't get this at all, which is more about my shortcomings in knowing enough about the subject material and context. If I knew what a "kyrielle" was or knew more (anything?) about Moliere, I'd probably be better suited to appreciate the nuance and craft.

I'll look up both and come back to this.

message 6: by Linda (last edited Sep 29, 2014 01:26AM) (new)

Linda Dobinson (baspoet) I really enjoyed this, enough to go to Google to look up ''Tartuffe'', ''Scapin'' etc. which made you poem make more sense - my knowledge of Moliere did not extend beyond his name. But I really want to thank you for introducing me to kyrielle's - something else I had to Google.

message 7: by Marti (last edited Sep 29, 2014 04:47AM) (new)

Marti Martinson | 49 comments Linda wrote: "I really enjoyed this, enough to go to Google to look up ''Tartuffe'', ''Scapin'' etc. which made you poem make more sense - my knowledge of Moliere did not extend beyond his name. But I really wan..."

I read Moliere and never found the humor. I finally SAW a production and THEN I got it. The man was a genius.

message 8: by Marti (new)

Marti Martinson | 49 comments Mark wrote: "Confidently structured (perhaps my biggest problem).

I don't get this at all, which is more about my shortcomings in knowing enough about the subject material and context. If I knew what a "kyrie..."

I like playing with the formal "forms". Just a paean to one of my fave comic writers and his plays. The kyrielle is a French form, so it was fitting. Most of my stuff is NOT humorous.....btw. Thank you for reading/commenting.