English students' club discussion

poetry discussion > The 'Epics'

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) I've recently started Paradise Lost, which is 10,000+ lines of wonderful blank verse. It is my first 'epic' poem that I've read, and I must admit it's tempting me to read the likes of Homer and Virgil.

Have any of you read any 'Epics'?

message 2: by Dora (new)

Dora (dora95) Not really, I've only read a part of Paradise lost, which I'm hoping to continue soon.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Which part have you read, Dora?

message 4: by Dora (new)

Dora (dora95) Only the first one, but I lost the book for some reason, so I couldn't continue reading. As for HOmer, I've ben meaning to read it, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the net.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Book 1 is awesome. Satan is such an awesome character. Obviously, he's not great because he's Satan, but Milton presents him in such a different light, that we almost feel sympathetic for him.

Project Gutenberg has both The Iliad and The Odyssey which you can download as texts files/e-reader files.

message 6: by Dora (new)

Dora (dora95) Thanks!:)

Have you read The prelude?

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Do you mean Wordsworth's The Prelude?

message 8: by Dora (new)

Dora (dora95) I do.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) I read part of it for my English Lit poetry once, and it was rather interesting!

message 10: by Dora (new)

Dora (dora95) What did you find interesting?

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) It was first bit of romantic poetry I'd ever really read, and it was just different, I guess. There was far more emphasis of nature, and it just seemed odd to me. Perhaps I didn't really get into it.

message 12: by Dora (new)

Dora (dora95) I love Wordsworth's descriptions of nature!