Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > The novel you've always wanted to write

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Is there a genre you've always wanted to attempt, but haven't yet? Did you write it already?

I want to know.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner I've always had the hankering to do a scary one, on the haunted house type of genre. No matter how I try, though, the starts always came out sounding like stuff that's already been done. It's so hard to hit on an idea in that genre that's truly original.

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Aye, horror is a really tough one. It can look cheesy or comical if its not done right. I have an idea for one, but I'm not going to attempt it for a while yet.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner I think it'd be fun to write a comedy, but that's another genre that has to be done with skill to avoid sounding campy. I liked the first Hangover, for example, but part 2 was utterly filthy, and 3 just felt strained the entire way through. I'm afraid that if I tried my hand at a humorous story, it'd fall flat.

message 5: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments I'm currently writing two of them, which is 1) science fiction / superhero genre. I wrote one for my friends only, with characters from role playing games we used to play together, and had a great time doing it, but this is the first time I've seriously attempted it with my own characters, story, and world. So much fun!! Then 2) I've always wanted to write an epic fantasy series and I have volume 1 in progress now on that as well. So, by the time I finish both (knock on wood) that'll be two accomplishments off my bucket list.

message 6: by Carl (new)

Carl Murder mystery. But research is gross!

message 7: by G.G. (last edited Nov 16, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
@Carl I know I shouldn't be laughing but I still do. You're right it's gross!

@Bisky What genre? Hmm maybe the genre that would sell millions of copies? Oh wait! that's not what you meant! :P

Honestly, I don't know. When I was younger I wanted to write stories about my favorite hero, Zorro. :p
so maybe an undercover spy type of book.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I think the book I have always wanted to write was the fan-fic one I started with. I took my favorite characters from my favorite TV shows and melded them together. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, could happen in this book. Nothing was too weird, too unfathomable, too taboo. I don't have it anymore because it was written in pencil and the lead had faded to the point I could not read it anymore, so I recycled it. I still regret it, but what was I to do? It was 700+ hand written pages of teenage fantasy! Typing it all out was not going to happen, especially when some of it made even me cringe. LOL

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wolfenberger | 85 comments I've always been a big fan of hard sci-fi. The attention to detail authors (like Michael Crichton) give to their work -- the real-world research that goes into bringing the stories to life -- can be pretty spectacular.

Of course, that would require a lot of time and research on my part, as well as a really good story line. My current writing project was originally written as a sci-fi, but certain elements became difficult to explain rationally. My solution? Rework it as a fantasy novel. *sigh*

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I've always wanted to do the comicbook/superhero story. I have always been interested in Anime and comics, but I have a severe lack of talent when it comes to drawing anything. I'm a perfectionist so it would take forever plus 3 days just to finish 1 page with a drawing. Even if I just made them all stick figures.

message 11: by Carl (new)

Carl G.G.: blood spatter patterns. Ewww...

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
Oh but Carl, I can think of many other things you may need to research that can be even more ewww! :P

message 13: by Carl (new)

Carl True. lol