Vintage Tales discussion

Pre-1700s > The Shakespeare Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) This is for anyone wishing to get through the majority or all of the Shakespeare plays, where you can post your progress and what you've read so far.

I think the interesting thing is exploring some of the lesser known plays, seeing as there are some that are hardly heard of.

You can do it either by reading or watching adaptations. Personally, I'm doing a bit of both. The National Theatre screenings have fuelled my love of Shakespeare, and watching them are always so enjoyable. There's no time scale to this, you can get through them at your own leisurely place, or perhaps only focus on the histories or comedies or whatever.

Good luck to everyone participating. I'm sure the Bard would commend you for your efforts!

message 2: by Holly (last edited Nov 21, 2013 06:53AM) (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Here's my list. I thought I'd separate them out into genres because I think that ends up being really interesting, seeing my favourites! I'll cross out the ones I've seen/read

So far: 9/37

COMEDIES
All's Well That Ends Well
As You Like It
Comedy of Errors
Love's Labour's Lost
Measure for Measure
Merchant of Venice
Merry Wives of Windsor
Midsummer Night's Dream
Much Ado about Nothing - read/watched
Taming of the Shrew - watched
Tempest
Twelfth Night - read/watched
Two Gentlemen of Verona
Winter's Tale - watched

HISTORIES
Henry IV, Part I
Henry IV, Part II
Henry V
Henry VI, Part I
Henry VI, Part II
Henry VI, Part III
Henry VIII
King John
Pericles
Richard II - watched
Richard III

TRAGEDIES
Antony and Cleopatra
Coriolanus
Cymbeline
Hamlet - read/watched
Julius Caesar
King Lear
Macbeth - read/watched
Othello - watched
Romeo and Juliet - watched
Timon of Athens
Titus Andronicus
Troilus and Cressida

It's going to be a long journey...

message 3: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 28, 2014 04:22PM) (new)

Elizabeth I'm just going to copy the contents from my version of the Complete Works, since it includes the poetry, an alternate version of King Lear, and a reading on Love's Labours Won. I think it's also in order of publishing date, if I'm not mistaken. I've read many of these in classes before now too, but I'm only striking through these as I read them this go around.

THE TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA
THE TAMING OF THE SHREW
HENRY VI PART ONE
THE FIRST PART OF THE CONTENTION - (2 HENRY VI)
RICHARD DUKE OF YORK - (3 HENRY VI)
TITUS ANDRONICUS
RICHARD III
VENUS AND ADONIS
THE RAPE OF LUCRECE
EDWARD III
THE COMEDY OF ERRORS
LOVE’S LABOUR’S LOST
LOVE’S LABOUR’S WON - A BRIEF ACCOUNT
RICHARD II
ROMEO AND JULIET
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM
KING JOHN
THE MERCHANT OF VENICE

1 HENRY IV
THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR
2 HENRY IV
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
HENRY V
JULIUS CAESAR
AS YOU LIKE IT
HAMLET
TWELFTH NIGHT
TROILUS AND CRESSIDA
SONNETS AND ‘A LOVER’S COMPLAINT’
VARIOUS POEMS
SIR THOMAS MORE
MEASURE FOR MEASURE
OTHELLO
THE HISTORY OF KING LEAR - THE QUARTO TEXT
TIMON OF ATHENS
MACBETH
ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA
ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
PERICLES
CORIOLANUS
THE WINTER’S TALE
THE TRAGEDY OF KING LEAR - THE FOLIO TEXT
CYMBELINE
THE TEMPEST
CARDENIO - A BRIEF ACCOUNT
ALL IS TRUE - (HENRY VIII)
THE TWO NOBLE KINSMEN

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) That version looks wonderful, Elizabeth! I feel like I'm missing out, there seems to be lots of little things I've never heard of.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I like it. It has a bit of history introducing each piece, and gives the alternative text from conflicting sources afterwards, but doesn't interrupt the reading with extra footnotes or interpretive notes. It's an ebook from the Timeless Classics collection. Only complaint is that sometimes words seem to be cut off, but I think that's a hazard of reading ebooks.

message 6: by Elizabeth (last edited Nov 20, 2013 11:20AM) (new)

Elizabeth So I didn't hate Edward III either, but the intro notes said that this one is another one that Shakespeare probably didn't write much of.

I think I was just glad to read something without rape in it.... I was very pleased when the Countess actually turned the King down and he let it go. That is so unusual in these works!

message 7: by LauraT (last edited Nov 21, 2013 12:56AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments I love Shakespeare, still a long way to go 12/37:
COMEDIES
All's Well That Ends Well
As You Like It
Comedy of Errors
Love's Labour's Lost
Measure for Measure
Merchant of Venice
Merry Wives of Windsor
Midsummer Night's Dream
Much Ado about Nothing

Taming of the Shrew
Tempest
Twelfth Night
Two Gentlemen of Verona
Winter's Tale

HISTORIES
Henry IV, Part I
Henry IV, Part II
Henry V
Henry VI, Part I
Henry VI, Part II
Henry VI, Part III
Henry VIII
King John
Pericles
Richard II - watched
Richard III

TRAGEDIES
Antony and Cleopatra - watched
Coriolanus
Cymbeline
Hamlet
Julius Caesar
King Lear
Macbeth
Othello

Romeo and Juliet
Timon of Athens
Titus Andronicus
Troilus and Cressida

message 8: by Anulekha (new)

Anulekha 8/37
Comedy of Errors
Midsummer Night's Dream
Twelfth Night
Merchant of Venice
Julius Caesar
Macbeth
King Lear
Othello

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate I've managed 10/37

COMEDIES
Merchant of Venice
Midsummer Night's Dream
Taming of the Shrew

TRAGEDIES
Antony and Cleopatra
Hamlet
Julius Caesar
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Troilus and Cressida

Fingers crossed I can get them all read one day. I'm off to see Hugo Weaving play Hamlet in July next year. I can't wait. I'm sure he'll be awesome.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth The Hollow Crown adaptation of Richard II is really great. The casting is ridiculous. I think I'll probably rent and watch all of those adaptations after I read the corresponding plays - can't wait to get to the Tom Hiddleston one. :-D

message 11: by Lidiana (new)

Lidiana I am huge Shakespeare fan... I have read already his main plays (in Comedy and Tragedy), and Macbeth is so dear to my heart that I reread it from time to time. However I have never read his Historical work (shame on me), so I decided to challenge myself to read all his plays in 2014.

I was discussing with a friend in which order should his plays be read, and logicaly he told me to read in the order they were printed; but I know that some stories are connected to others and that sometimes people miss out on the reading because they read a play before the other. The same thought would apply to dividing by genre.

So, anyone can help me to figure out the best order to read Shakespeare's entire work?

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth My copy is in publication order, I think, but not necessarily in chronological order. If its the histories, why not go in historical order by when each was king? This matters most with the Henrys and Richards, I think, but you might as well read them all that way.

message 13: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 27, 2014 06:59PM) (new)

Elizabeth I haven't been keeping up on my reading lately - still stuck on King John.

ETA: Made myself finish it. :D