Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-12 - Road Trip - What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8670 comments Mod
Thanks to Niamh & Tara for picking so early! Isn't it great we can get some books organised before the busy season and hopefully fit in some reading ;)

Where will you go this holiday on your road trip?

message 2: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments This one should fit Saving June by Hannah Harrington so let me check the shelf, LOL!

message 3: by D.G. (last edited Nov 16, 2013 04:02AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments This one should fit Saving June by Hannah Harrington but let me check the shelf, LOL!

ETA: Wow! I picked it without checking and it's the second on the list!

I see other books on my TBR that are on the shelf but they are the tearjerker variety. I want something cheerful, LOL!

Others that I might to check out:
The Prince of Midnight by Laura Kinsale The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa Finding It (Losing It, #3) by Cora Carmack A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) by Judith McNaught (this last one is one of my POTS books so I may go with that one.)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been wanting to start and actually finish a Neil Gaiman book for the longest time, so I'll be reading American Gods.

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4655 comments Mod
I would like to read On the Jellicoe Road, if my library has it. I will also read The Bean Trees, since I have it handy in my home.

message 6: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments So, the ones on my list are The 5th Wave, Me Before You, Americanah, and The Light Between Oceans. I won't get them all read, but I could choose from this list.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments My options include: Sleepwalker by Karen Robards , Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews and If You Desire (MacCarrick Brothers, #2) by Kresley Cole

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1642 comments Think I'll read Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck by Steinbeck. Most of the ones on this list that I wanted to read I have already read. I'll have to search further into the list later.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am going to try to read Blood Red Road. I am also going to try to get my hand on The Thief (since it works for our challenge too).

message 10: by Tien (new)

Apparently, Game of Thrones have been shelved as 'road-trip' 2 times so guess what I'll be reading ;)

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I ended up breaking down and picking up Amy and Roger's Epic Detour the other day. Will try to get that in as well.

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Tien wrote: "Apparently, Game of Thrones have been shelved as 'road-trip' 2 times so guess what I'll be reading ;)"

Tien- Are you still trying to read that book? I have that on my shelf too and always find a reason not to read it.

message 13: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Tien wrote: "Apparently, Game of Thrones have been shelved as 'road-trip' 2 times so guess what I'll be reading ;)"

Sweet action! Me too.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
None of what I've seen so far has grabbed me as a December read, but I'm tentatively going to go for Enclave. And I'm continuing to hunt to see if The Passage is on the list, since I'll be reading it for POTS and LOST. So far, no luck, but there are 67 pages of shelves for it, so maybe it'll be there.

message 15: by Tien (new)

Oops, why didn't anyone tell me the thread's subject didn't have the shelf name?

@Tara: yep, will be reading GoT - you can check the "schedule" here

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 46 comments Great choice Tara. I have so many on this shelf that I would love to read. I will be starting with Night Train to Lisbon and then Breathing Lessons is on the list. I just read this exquisitely heart-wrenching book the other day and gave it a delicious 5 stars. I also noticed Lolita is on this shelf. I may jut have to read it for the 6th time..one of my favourites. Thanks again Tara.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (spud272) | 10 comments This category is a stretch for me, but that's why I like Pick-a-shelf. It gets me into new areas. It seems like most of the books have a more youthful slant. So I'm going to try The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants since my daughter has a copy.

message 18: by Tien (new)

Carol, by 'youthful slant', are you referring to young adult books?

From what's been picked by everyone else on this thread, there seems to be only about 25% YA... There does seem to be a lot of YA on the first page of the shelf. How far did you go into it, Carol?