What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

First Contact
This topic is about First Contact
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Teen Sci Fi novel: Main character was a female student. She was accompanied by an indestructible robot named Kili and a male companion [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick | 1 comments Please help me find a book I used to read as kid. It's Science Fiction, set reasonably far in the future. I can't remember the title, author or publisher, but I can list a number of things about it... in varying degrees of accuracy ;)
1. The cover depicted a bright city with the title along the bottom in yellow/gold text.
2. Main character was a female student. She was accompanied by an indestructible robot named Kili and a male companion.
3. The story revolves around first contact of an alien species. The protagonist and her companions are forced from their lives on a non-earth planet (maybe the moon?) and their travels take them to Mars, a space station and eventually to the old Earth which they discover is a shell of it's former self.
4. The aliens make contact with the humans aboard a space station. They are described as 'terrifying'. At first contact, a human in the crowd opens fire and murders an alien before being brought down.
5. A rogue-ish space pilot plays a love interest to the protagonist.

I'm sorry I know how vague this all sounds but I can only hope it tweaks the memory of somebody out there. I read this book dozens of times about 20 years ago and it's got me stumped. Any hints, however slight, will be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
I've searched on the name "Kili" and I just keep getting Hobbit results.

message 3: by James (new)

James R | 1 comments I read this book when I was younger too - would really like to know what it's called! Googling the name Kili brought me here.

I remember that the 'non-earth planet' was one of the moons of Jupiter. And that they left this moon as rebelling against their life-long job assignments - and that the boring jobs they were given was in fact a conspiracy to encourage them to leave.

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4160 comments I saw it's solved on scifi.stackexchange.com: First Contact

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Thanks.