The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

164 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 5.8 - In the Study

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 19, 2013 06:02AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
5.8 -- In the Study
The study is often used for writing. Read a book about writing or one that features a writer (novelist, journalist, essayist, TV script writer, etc). The book may be fiction or nonfiction. Examples: On Writing, A Moveable Feast, The Thirteenth Tale, The Help, Misery, The Wedding Writer, Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace


message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 29, 2013 09:33AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Not quite right:
Generation Kill - focus on soldiers, not journalist
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Suicide Notes
The Diary of a Young Girl


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments Would Dear Mr. Henshaw (Leigh Botts, #1) by Beverly Cleary be acceptable? It is about a boy who writes letters to his favorite author.


message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1388 comments How about Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford ?


message 7: by Sheila (last edited Nov 16, 2013 01:26AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Would this work Kristi? A book spinoff from the Castle TV series where a writer teams up with a cop.

Deadly Heat by Richard Castle Deadly Heat by Richard Castle


message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4093 comments Would this book work - The Angel's Game?


message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments I am going to read On Writing by Stephen King.


message 10: by Prajakta (new)


message 11: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 429 comments Will Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11) by Laura Levine work? From this book's description it isn't clear the main character is a writer, however it is clear in the descriptions of other books in the series.
For example: This Pen For Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1) by Laura Levine


message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments Would The Imperfectionists work? I guess it's about reporters and editors of a newspaper. I'm assuming it would be okay, since reporters write their own stories for the paper, but it can't hurt to check.


message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer, you guys! House guests in town.....

These books work:
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Deadly Heat
The Angel's Game
Ten Days in the Hills
Death of a Neighborhood Witch ~ explain that MC is freelance writer when you post
The Imperfectionists


message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "How about Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford?"

I'm not sure I see a connection with this one. Can you explain?


message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "I am going to read On Writing by Stephen King."

I loved that book, Claire. Hope you enjoy it, too!


message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1388 comments Sorry, I'll pick another. I thought it would be more diary format, but looking again I think not.


message 17: by Valerie (new)


message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Valerie wrote: "Is Becoming a Writer okay?"

Absolutely.


message 19: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 480 comments Suzannesea

Would Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee work for this task?

From the GoodReads description:
". . . by the sudden arrival on his doorstep of the celebrated Australian novelist Elizabeth Costello, who threatens to take over the direction of his life and the affairs of his heart."

Thanks!


message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "Suzannesea

Would Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee work for this task?

From the GoodReads description:
". . . by the sudden arrival on his doorstep of the celebrated Austral..."


It sounds like Elizabeth Costello has a major part in the story so, yes, it works.


message 21: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments Can it be a nonfiction book? Generation Kill is written by a journalist who factors as a large 'character' in his book... or is that stretching it? lol


message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Bec wrote: "Can it be a nonfiction book? Generation Kill is written by a journalist who factors as a large 'character' in his book... or is that stretching it? lol"

The book can be nonfiction. However, the focus of this particular book seems to be the soldiers, not the journalists.


message 23: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments thanks for the reply, I'll go searching for another book. :)


message 24: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments I'm hoping this one will make the cut
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts


message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "I'm hoping this one will make the cut
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts"


No, sorry. It appears to be more about design than the actual craft of writing.


message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Coralie wrote: "Would Nazi Literature in the Americas work?"

Yes, that works.


message 28: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Andy wrote: "I'm hoping this one will make the cut
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts"

No, sorry. It appears to be more about design than the actual craft of writing."

That is ok This is an area that I like so I should have no trouble finding something else.


message 29: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Will Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation work?
I think I've got that one around the house somewhere.


message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "Will Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation work?
I think I've got that one around the house somewhere."


Yes, that one will work. Cute book, too! Hope you can find it... ;-)


message 31: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Andy wrote: "Will Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation work?
I think I've got that one around the house somewhere."

Yes, that one will work. Cute book, too..."

Thanks, I know it's here somewhere and I've got a week before the challenge starts.


message 33: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "How about The Accidental Bestseller by Wendy Wax?"

Yes, that works. Cute book, too.


message 34: by Sassafrass (last edited Nov 28, 2013 04:14PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Does the writer have to be a professional? Can they be an unpublished author? I want to read a book where the main character writes, but she's not been published.


message 35: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Sassafrass wrote: "Does the writer have to be a professional? Can they be an unpublished author? I want to read a book where the main character writes, but she's not been published."

Hmmm... It depends. It would work if her writing is somehow significant to the plot, but if it's just mentioned in passing then it probably won't work. If you have a particular book in mind, I'll be glad to check it out and let you know for sure.


message 36: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Does the writer have to be a professional? Can they be an unpublished author? I want to read a book where the main character writes, but she's not been published."

Hmmm... It d..."



After I wrote this, I thought about it and I wasn't sure it was relevant enough to the plot. I chose something else. I may read that particular book for another task, but it didn't seem to fit this one.

Thanks!


message 37: by Sandra (new)


message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Sandra wrote: "Would The Diary of a Young Girl work?"

No, sorry, the book needs to focus more on writing.


message 39: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments Would The Complete Persepolis work? It is a memoir about the author who is a graphic novellist/children's book author and her adventures in school.


message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "Would The Complete Persepolis work? It is a memoir about the author who is a graphic novellist/children's book author and her adventures in school."

Yes, a memoir of a graphic novelist would work. It's a great book, too!


message 41: by Judy (new)

Judy | 898 comments Would The Girl in the Gatehouse work? The female main character is a novelist who is published anonymously. Thanks!


message 42: by Alison (new)

Alison | 186 comments Will Atonement work for this task? It's been on my TBR for ages and the blurb on goodreads mentions the literary talents of the main character and a couple of the reviews mention her writing being a theme throughout the book. From the third review "Briony is an aspiring writer who grows and develops her style throughout the 60 years that the novel covers, and McEwan’s novel mirrors her literary growth."


message 43: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Judy wrote: "Would The Girl in the Gatehouse work? The female main character is a novelist who is published anonymously. Thanks!"

Yes, that works.


message 44: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "Will Atonement work for this task? It's been on my TBR for ages and the blurb on goodreads mentions the literary talents of the main character and a couple of the reviews mention her wr..."

Yes, that will work.


message 45: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments I want to double check on this one:

Mrs. Poe

The description says that the main character is a writer, and it involves Poe as well.


message 46: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Karen GHHS wrote: "I want to double check on this one:

Mrs. Poe

The description says that the main character is a writer, and it involves Poe as well."


Excellent fit. Sounds great, too!


message 47: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments Hey, wondering if Edited for Death would work for this task. The main character is an editor of a newspaper, and a journalist. From the reviews (and the first few pages) it says she decides to write a book, and that leads her into the 'mystery'. Just wanted to check that an editor is okay... she'd write editorials... I assume. lol


message 48: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Bec wrote: "Hey, wondering if Edited for Death would work for this task. The main character is an editor of a newspaper, and a journalist. From the reviews (and the first few pages) it says she..."

It sounds like the main character is working on a book so, yes, it fits.


message 49: by Pamela Su (last edited Dec 17, 2013 08:52AM) (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 248 comments Hi,

In Love You Like a Romance Novel, one of the MCs is a lawyer who is also secretly a romance novelist.

Would that fulfill the writer criteria? :D


message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Pamela Su wrote: "Hi,

In Love You Like a Romance Novel, one of the MCs is a lawyer who is also secretly a romance novelist.

Would that fulfill the writer criteria? :D"


Absolutely. Just explain the connection when you post and mention that it was approved in the help thread so Sandy doesn't have to look through all the reviews.


« previous 1
back to top