Spine Crackers discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Book Discussions > The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caitlin | 118 comments Mod
It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

Barb Loved this book. The movie comes out the 27th of this month

Ryan I'm having some trouble really getting into this book, I'm 15% in according to Kindle.

Don't know if it's because I'm getting off a Sci-Fi tear (Ender's Saga) or a stretch of Stephen King (Dark Tower into Joe Hill NOS4A2 into The Shining & Doctor Sleep) but I'm not giving up. This is my first book with the group, I know the last book for you guys was the same author. So I'm switching gears. Can't wait for the discussions to start!

Barb Ryan wrote: "I'm having some trouble really getting into this book, I'm 15% in according to Kindle.

Don't know if it's because I'm getting off a Sci-Fi tear (Ender's Saga) or a stretch of Stephen King (Dark To..."

Keep reading it, but not like Stephen King. Book is about WWII and I really thought it was very good.

Ryan Just finished this. Wow what a powerful story. I waited until I finished it last night before I went online to see who would be portraying each of the characters in the upcoming movie, which looks absolutely fantastic !

message 6: by Barb (last edited Nov 21, 2013 06:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb The last time I went to a movie was to see Sarah's Key and this movie I have to see. What a great book. And so glad you kept reading it.

Ryan Barb wrote: "The last time I went to a movie was to see Sarah's Key and this movie I have to see. What a great book. And so glad you kept reading it."

Barb, I knew that with so much popularity, it had to be good. I needed to get off of my Sci-Fi/Horror run to mix it up a little. That's why I joined the book club! Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say. I know it's too early to start talking about the plot.

Barb Ryan wrote: "Barb wrote: "The last time I went to a movie was to see Sarah's Key and this movie I have to see. What a great book. And so glad you kept reading it."

Barb, I knew that with so much popularity, ..."

Did you read Kindred, by Butler. Slavery time travel

Ryan Barb wrote: "Did you read Kindred, by Butler. Slavery time travel "

I haven't but that sounds interesting, I was just talking last night about a Novella I read a while ago about time traveling back to 28AD and encountering Jesus while he was alive. Behold the Man, by Michael Moorecock.
Also another book I can't remember the name of: when a Jew travels back in time to punish Hitler while he was a boy, but it goes wrong and actually sparks his hatred of Jews. While trying to prevent the holocaust, he actually is the reason for it. Very time bendy and interesting :D

message 10: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Ryan wrote: "Barb wrote: "Did you read Kindred, by Butler. Slavery time travel "

I haven't but that sounds interesting, I was just talking last night about a Novella I read a while ago about time traveling bac..."

When you figure out the book name about a Jewish boy traveling back, let me know.

message 11: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Barb wrote: "When you figure out the book name about a Jewish boy traveling back, let me know."

The Primal Solution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prim...

message 12: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Ryan wrote: "Barb wrote: "When you figure out the book name about a Jewish boy traveling back, let me know."

The Primal Solution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prim..."

Thanks, I am going to look it up because I love WWII books

message 13: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Barb wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Barb wrote: "When you figure out the book name about a Jewish boy traveling back, let me know."

The Primal Solution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prim..."

The Primal Solution is over $100, so I guess I am not going to read it

Michele (michele1266) | 10 comments I finished reading this book a little while ago and what a gem. This book is perfect in every way. I am very curious to see how the movie compares to the book and if the movie uses death's voice to narrate it. Has anyone seen the movie?

message 15: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Michele wrote: "I finished reading this book a little while ago and what a gem. This book is perfect in every way. I am very curious to see how the movie compares to the book and if the movie uses death's voice to..."

The movie, I think, starts Friday.

Michele (michele1266) | 10 comments You're right! I just saw the ad for the movie. It looks really good! I can't wait to see it.

message 17: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Michele wrote: "You're right! I just saw the ad for the movie. It looks really good! I can't wait to see it."

Me too. I read lots of WWII books

Michele (michele1266) | 10 comments It's weird that this book is classified as young adult. I'm 46 and I absolutely loved it. Have you read Night by Elie Wiesel? That's one of my all time favorite books

message 19: by Barb (last edited Nov 23, 2013 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb I read Night long ago. Did you read Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum.

I just asked you to be my friend on Goodreads so we can discuss some good WWII books

Michele (michele1266) | 10 comments I haven't read that one yet. I will have to add it to my list. I was going to read The Pianist next by Wzaldyslaw Szpilman. Have you read that one?

message 21: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb I just sent you some recommendations of books I enjoyed a lot

Caitlin | 118 comments Mod
I absolutely loved this book. It is such a moving story and I really like the author's writing style.

I haven't seen the movie (wanted to read the whole book first) but someone told me that Death does narrate the movie as well. Not going to lie, that surprised me! Did anyone get the chance to see the movie?

Michele wrote: "It's weird that this book is classified as young adult. I'm 46 and I absolutely loved it. Have you read Night by Elie Wiesel? That's one of my all time favorite books"

I think when a book is labeled "Young Adult" it reflects that the language and the style are suited to that age group, but that doesn't mean that older people can't enjoy the story as well. :)

message 23: by Ryan (last edited Dec 16, 2013 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan I am also surprised to hear that Death is a narrator in the movie. I was wondering about that. I can't wait to see it! The narrator was a good touch, but this book would have done well to be narrated in first person too.

Kenzie | 50 comments Mod
I finally got a chance to read this (a little late, I know). It was such a good story, and I couldn't help but tear up at the end.

For me, it was interesting to get this different perspective of WW11. I've read several books, both fictional and true survivors accounts of the holocaust, but it's always been from the Jewish point of view. I've always wondered just how something so awful could be allowed to happen, and I felt with this book that Zusak did a great job at showing how people didn't have the choice or felt that they had the choice to speak/act out. This is a book that really made me think while I was reading it, and those are always the best kinds. I also liked how the war was such a large part of the story, but in much of it, it was in the background. It was really more about Liesel, and Death, and humanity, and the power of words, set against the backdrop of the war.

I thought the writing style was fantastic. There was so much foreshadowing, but for me, it only made everything that much more heartbreaking. I liked Death as the narrator because it allowed us as readers to get more information than we would have with first person of Liesel, and it also allowed the narration to have some emotion that we wouldn't have had with third person.

I would very much like to see the movie, I've heard good things.

Elizabeth Gilbert To me, the best part about this book is that it is narrated by Death. It's voice is such a beautiful addition to this story.

I'm not particularly a fan of historical fiction, but I am a sucker for a good coming of age story. I draw a close correlation between this book and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn probably due to the father/daughter relationship.