Into the Forest discussion

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
This topic is about The Golem and the Jinni
Magical Beings > Golem and Jinni -Without Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
A place to discuss the book without spoilers.

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments Loved this book. In fact I'm having a hard time finding another book that I want to read and enjoy as much.

Jalilah | 4323 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Loved this book. In fact I'm having a hard time finding another book that I want to read and enjoy as much."

I am loving it too. I can imagine I might feel the same way when I finish.

I am enjoying the realistic and historical aspect to this novel as much as the supernatural part. I love reading about the Eastern European Jewish and Syrian immigrants lives. The author clearly did a lot of research. In this way her writing reminds me of Isabel Allende and also the fact she is able to write about many characters without making the story confusing.

message 5: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 21, 2013 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Here is a link to the autor's website:
http://www.helenewecker.com/about-hel...
There is a very interesting interview with Helene Wecker. She is Jewish and her husband is Arab Anerican. Both she and her husband are descended from the immigrants described in her book. There is also historical information about these immigrant groups in New York in the late eighteen hundreds with pictures.

Julia | 214 comments Jalilah wrote: I am enjoying the realistic and historical aspect to this novel as much as the supernatural part.

Exactly!

The Lower East Side I am very familiar with it from movies and books, but I love Little Syria... I also liked the comparison of their lives and neighborhood's to the very wealthy girl's -- whose name I've forgotten.

Kimberly Read I've just started reading this.

Monica Davis Ditto, Kimberly...also just started it. A very long queue at the library for this one. Looking forward to the story.

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts Kimberly and Monica!

Margaret | 3540 comments Mod
Bought this for myself as a Christmas present today, so it's in the mail! Looking forward to reading it and joining the discussion!

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I'm finally #1 on the hold list! Yay!

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Guess what's the Amazon daily deal today?

I'm about half done in paper, but I'll be switching over to e-book form. Really liking it so far.

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Guess who beat me to it? Thanks Melanti. The audiobook is also on sale.

Margaret | 3540 comments Mod
I saw that Helene Wecker is doing a reddit AMA right now. Thought I would share the link in case anyone's interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comme...

Thanks for letting us know Margaret!