Into the Forest discussion

The Thorn and the Blossom
This topic is about The Thorn and the Blossom
Previous Group Reads > Thorn and Blossom - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
A place to discuss the book without spoilers.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I've been out of town on vacation for a week and came back to find a copy of this book sitting in my mailbox!

It's a very cool format.

It's sort of like those old double feature books - where you read one side to get one novel, then flipped it over to get the other novel from the other side.

This takes it a step further and does one long sheet of paper folded accordion style. One person's version of events are printed on one side, another person's are on another, and it comes in a slipcase to keep it together since there's no spine. It's short too - about 40 pages per side - which is good since I have a feeling it'll be a bit awkward to read without a spine.

message 3: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 19, 2013 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jalilah | 4438 comments Mod
Melanti wrote: "I've been out of town on vacation for a week and came back to find a copy of this book sitting in my mailbox!

It's a very cool format.

It's sort of like those old double feature books - where..."

It sounds interesting! You reminded me to request an inter-library loan because my library does not have it.

Margaret | 3663 comments Mod
You can read it different ways as well, starting with either the guy's perspective, or the girl's. I would read this next, but I just got a copy of MaddAddam, so I will read it after I've finished:)

IT was just so cool looking of a book that I couldn't help but read it yesterday even though I have a huge pile of library books due soon. Definitely a bit awkward to hold!

From the placement of the copyright page and final notes, I think you're supposed to start with Evelyn side but really you could start in either place. There's good and bad points about starting with either side of the story.

It's interesting how Goss manages to work it where both sides

Started this about thirty minutes ago, and I've already dropped it twice! I wish it had a binding. I wanted to warn everyone:)

I also wonder if this is new adult versus young adult? The protagonists are a bit older, college age, and the type is quite small.

I managed to only drop it once! From a couple of the creases left, it's obvious that whomever owned it before me must have dropped it a couple of times as well.

It's definitely not Young Adult. Whether it's Adult or New Adult, I'm not well-versed enough in the NA genre to spot...

I apologize for nominating this. Finished it last night, and, agreeing with Melanti, it is not YA. I've seen it shelved in YA at bookstores, and the cover looks YA, but it's more of a fairy tale romance novella, for adults.

Not a big deal. It can be pretty hard to tell what a book is about before reading it. It was still a better book than the one I nominated so I won't accept your apology.

(If you didn't like this one for having too much romance, you're going to HATE Beastly! )

Melanti wrote: "Not a big deal. It can be pretty hard to tell what a book is about before reading it. It was still a better book than the one I nominated so I won't accept your apology.

(If you didn't like this ..."

Haha, noted:) I was going to read Beastly, but the twilight references in the discussions were making me think twice. I read twilight, I get why so many people love it, but I did not enjoy reading it. I might skip Beastly. I will join in on Golem, once I get a copy. That one I think I'll like.

message 11: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 26, 2013 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margaret wrote: "I apologize for nominating this. Finished it last night, and, agreeing with Melanti, it is not YA. I've seen it shelved in YA at bookstores, and the cover looks YA, but it's more of a fairy tale ro..."

No worries! No one ever has to apologize for nominating a book that ends up different from what we were expecting. None if us noticed either. I am looking forward to reading it!

Jalilah wrote: "Margaret wrote: "I apologize for nominating this. Finished it last night, and, agreeing with Melanti, it is not YA. I've seen it shelved in YA at bookstores, and the cover looks YA, but it's more o..."

I was just imagining someone reading this aloud to their 8yr old. Stop at the blouse unbuttoning!:)

I think 8 yr olds are considered "Middle Grade" these days. YA can get pretty racy!

Yeah! My interlibrary loan arrived today! Just when I finished Waking the Moon!

message 15: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 09, 2013 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wow, that was a quick read! I liked it! The format very awkward. I kept losing my place. But all in all, it a perfect light kind of book to read in between books. I did not like it enough to re-read, but did enjoy it and gave it 3 stars.

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangoverz) I've been looking all over the place for the book! Looks like it needs to be order off Amazon.

It is rather hard to find, Michelle. I bought it used off Amazon, though I think Better World Books has it too for about the same price if you have moral objections to Amazon.

In fact, it being difficult to obtain was the only reason I voted for Beastly instead of this book!

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangoverz) Melanti wrote: "It is rather hard to find, Michelle. I bought it used off Amazon, though I think Better World Books has it too for about the same price if you have moral objections to Amazon.

In fact, it being d..."

what do you think of the book? Is it worth the hassle?

More or less like Jalilah -- I think the format is pretty cool, (and probably the reason more libraries don't carry it) and the text itself is good but not great.

Probably the most damning thing I can say is that when I was reading it and people asked about it, I was happy to show off the format but the most I ever said about the plot is that it was a love story told by both sides -- and I think the only reason I even mentioned that is cause it's sort of relevant to the format.

From what I've understood, the format was conceived first (by the publisher) and then the story was written to go with the format. And IMO, it kind of shows - the story just doesn't quite live up to the idea of the physical book.

Though to be fair, I'm not enormously fond of love stories to begin with so if you are, your experience might vary.

I agree with Melanti. It wasn't bad, but the plot served the format instead of the other way around. But it is a pretty book. I managed to get hold of a copy at a used bookstore.