All About Books discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
Readalongs > City of Bones Epic Readalong (Dec 14-20) With Amber, Alannah, and more...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Nov 15, 2013 12:25PM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey guys! I am going to go ahead and add the thread for our City of Bones readalong that we will be starting December 14-20th and I'll list all who will be reading this with us. Let me know if you still want to participate. I think we should wait and post our comments after we finish reading it. I've only seen the film so that made me want to read the book. Can't wait to start this one next month! Placed it on hold at my local library so hopefully I will get this one before we start on the 14th of December.

Here's who all told me they wanted to join in with me:
Alannah
LauraT
Becca
Sigourney
Melissa
Rebecca
Katy

Is this correct you guys? Just curious. Let me know and if anyone else wants to read this with us, let me know and I'll add you to this list so feel free to join in. Thanks! ^_^

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11562 comments Mod
My holidays start on the 13th (well, the 12th for me as I'm going home then) so I will probably start then. I can't wait!

I would like to know though, has everyone who is taking part in this readalong seen the movie? I only ask because I haven't.

message 4: by Amber (last edited Nov 15, 2013 12:41PM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome Alannah! I can't wait either. I hope to get it when it comes in at the library soon. Should be good. If I get it December 7th, that'd be great but I'll stay patient. I saw it when it came out. Are you going to wait and see the movie after you read the book Alannah? It should be on dvd soon anyway.

Sigourney (psthebirdbites) | 226 comments I've seen it, but I've also read the book before. I enjoyed the film though :) it's been a while since I read it though so I don't really remember how true to detail it was.

Holly (hollycoulson) I would have loved to have taken part, but I read it not so long ago. I'll happily join in the discussion though!

message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I've seen the film but not read the book. I expect the book is better, they usually are! I won't be reading it with you, but will be interested in how you liked it!

Holly (hollycoulson) What did you think of the film, Shirley?

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Holly wrote: "What did you think of the film, Shirley?"

It was quite enjoyable, I went to see it as my daughter and her friend were keen to see it, having read the book. It didn't make me rush to read the book, though.

Holly (hollycoulson) I've been meaning to watch it, although I must admit I haven't got an urge to. I found the book decent enough, I brought 2,3 and 4 because they were really cheap in The Works, but I haven't really got an urge to read them.

Perhaps I'll pick them up one day when I want something light to read!

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) okay awesome Shirley and that's great Holly. ^_^

Was so tempting to get the book today when I was in Waterstones. Managed to pull myself away as it will be a lot cheaper online.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Okay cool Alannah. I got it on hold at the library so will wait.

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
I'm here - or I hope to be next month!!!!

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome LauraT! ^_^

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll definitely still be joining in :) I'm looking forward to it!

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome Becca! I am too. :) Just hope my library gets it in before we start.

That's great Becca.

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) My library copy came in so I have to read it early as it is due back on december 8th so I'll be reading this and the child thief as both books go back to their respected library soon as one is an ebook and one is a print book. I really wanted to wait until our readalong but I got it today.

That's a shame Amber. hope you enjoy it though

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yep and thanks Alannah. I'm on chapter 2 right now of it. It's good so far.

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'll get back to reading City of Bones after I finish the Child Thief. I got 5 chapters to go on that one. I'm only on chapter 2 of this one. City of Bones is ok so far.

I'll start it on the 14th as the schedule!!!

I might start on the 12th if I have finished The Snow Child, if I don't I will start on the 14th

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Okay cool LauraT and that's fine too Alannah. I just had to start it earlier because my library got it in too early so might not be able to discuss it with you guys when we do the readalong. If not, I'll do a small review on it when I finish. I'll get back to it later on.

Alannah wrote: "I might start on the 12th if I have finished The Snow Child, if I don't I will start on the 14th"

I wanted also to read The Snow Child first

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I may start it earlier, but I have a lot of work for next week so I'll see :) since we are discussing it, I want to be able to read it without stopping and starting and getting distracted by Uni.

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Cool becca. :-)

Becca wrote: "I may start it earlier, but I have a lot of work for next week so I'll see :) since we are discussing it, I want to be able to read it without stopping and starting and getting distracted by Uni."

That's the same with me Becca, good luck with your uni work.

message 30: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I got thirteen chapters to go in this so hope to finish it today. It' an okay read.

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I had to give up on city of bones because there are other reads I want to get to and because the book was okay and it dragged for me as well as I lost interest in it. Plus I saw the movie first so I already know what happen but I'll revisit the book in a few years. I hope you guys enjoy the readalong because I won't be able to join in. sorry.

Sigourney (psthebirdbites) | 226 comments Amber wrote: "I had to give up on city of bones because there are other reads I want to get to and because the book was okay and it dragged for me as well as I lost interest in it. Plus I saw the movie first so ..."

Fair enough, Amber! It's a shame you lost interest but maybe next time round you'll enjoy it more, who knows :) I'm going to start reading it today and then add comments when others have read it because I'm going to be really busy the week of the 14th onwards.

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yep. who knows. I hope you and the others enjoy reading it Sigourney.

I might have a different experience as I haven't seen the movie at all.

Alannah wrote: "I might have a different experience as I haven't seen the movie at all."

Me neither

Haven't started this yet. Will try and get the book, was looking for it in the airport yesterday but couldn't find it.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I started it last night, 10% in. It's ok so far.

Will start next week

Just started it myself.

I am really hoping something will come and hook me into this. I'm not saying I'm not enjoying but I think it's been too hyped for me.

Starting it today, hopefully ...

I managed to get a lot of this read last night. So far I think I would give it about three stars.

I would have read more but my kindle had died.

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Alannah wrote: "I would have read more but my kindle had died."

Oh no!! I hope that it was just the battery.

Leslie wrote: "Alannah wrote: "I would have read more but my kindle had died."

Oh no!! I hope that it was just the battery."

Yeah, that's what I meant.

That's the only drawback of ereaders: they tend to "die out" when less they could!!!

I finished this last night. It was a ok read but I think we hyped it up a bit too much in the anticipation that it fell a bit short on us by the looks of it. Although one of my friends said it is the weaker book of the series and the rest are slightly better and another told me that it wasn't this series she was telling me that she loved, it was Clare's other series.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments I finished this in January 2015 and liked it quite a bit, but still haven't continued the series. (I start way too many series it seems)

I was the same Kirsten, couldn’t finish the series.