Reader with a Cause discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl
Gone Girl > First Impressions about Gone Girl??

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NNEDV (new) - added it

NNEDV | 160 comments Mod
I know this is a dangerous topic to start with this book, since -- as one of our readers has already pointed out -- it's easy to say "I'll just read a couple of pages..." and then finish the book!

Has anyone picked up Gone Girl yet? What do you think so far?

**Please avoid posting spoilers -- or insert spoiler tags if you can't avoid it.**

Catherine | 2 comments I have read it and loathed it. Cannot give reasons without spoilers. My reaction centres around portrayal of one key character. See what you think.

Janice | 2 comments I loved this book! I will wait for others to finish and comment, but I couldn't put it down.

Ashley | 22 comments Mod
I just started this book and I'm interested to see where it goes. I've read other Gillian Flynn books and really enjoyed them.

Allison Burrus | 16 comments I have read it and did not love it. While it kept me wanting to finish it I also loathed one character and it left me feeling dissatisfied with the book as a whole.

Kathy Skaggs | 10 comments Like many others, once I started it, I quickly read on through to the end. I enjoyed the cleverness of it, and the snarkiness, but ultimately I was left with the feeling that I'd wasted my time in reading it. A clever mental exercise for the author, interesting while reading to see if she would pull it off, and she did, but so what?

message 7: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Hendon (Iamroxieh) | 2 comments I'm with Ashley, just started will see how it goes. I'm wondering if I should finish though. I will but... (smile)

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet Corbin | 1 comments I just started the book and I'm feeling exactly what I'm reading in comments. But I'm sticking with it! This is a tiny step back into the dangerous world of small commitments! lol

Andria | 3 comments Getting started this weekend, I swear!

Carrie | 3 comments I read it awhile ago, and liked the pacing of the story, but had a hard time liking the main characters. It reminded me of an episode of truly trashy reality TV, that you get sucked into, but after watching it, the best thing you can say is that you were entertained.

Courtney Hohnholt | 7 comments A bit off topic, but while watching the show "Orange is the New Black", I noticed the main character was reading "Gone Girl" during her quiet time. Funny!

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet Lindsley | 5 comments I have mixed feelings about this book. I didn't like either of the main characters, but I thought the book was so cleverly written and a real page turner.

Emily (ecdahl) | 46 comments Mod
Courtney wrote: "A bit off topic, but while watching the show "Orange is the New Black", I noticed the main character was reading "Gone Girl" during her quiet time. Funny!"

Especially since that's our next book! :)

message 14: by Kimp (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimp | 2 comments I really enjoyed this book... clearly many of the characters were disgusting as best... I can also recognize that I saw parts of myself in each one of them.

message 15: by Ashley (last edited Dec 19, 2013 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley | 22 comments Mod
I've been so busy and exhausted this month that I'm still not finished... But I can tell you that the twists and turns do keep me interested when I have time to pick up the book. I'm really looking forward to discussing this book.

Janice | 2 comments I think it takes nerves for an author to write disgusting characters...those that the readers will detest!! I would imagine it's harder to do that - and still win readers and fans - than to write characters we love and adore. It is through these disgusting characters that we can see some of the dark side, what makes them tick, why they do what they do, etc.. - and use that as a tool for learning and growing - and yes, being like, "I don't want to be like that". When we see elements of ourselves in these challenging characters I would hope it moves us to soul searching and maybe some life shifting.

message 17: by Emily (last edited Dec 20, 2013 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily (ecdahl) | 46 comments Mod
Janice wrote: "I think it takes nerves for an author to write disgusting characters...those that the readers will detest!! I would imagine it's harder to do that - and still win readers and fans - than to write characters we love and adore..."

Well said. Agreed!