Sense and Sensibility
This topic is about Sense and Sensibility
Monthly Boxall's Reads > Nov 13 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Comment as soon as you like but please hide any spoilers

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee It's such a long time since I last read this that I think my memories are more of the film than the book. I'll be interested to see if I find the menfolk as annoying as those in the film (wet Hugh Grant and annoying Alan Rickman - does he have to speak so slowly?)

Tracey | 304 comments Have to admit I started this a couple of weeks ago and am struggling with it. I've never read it before and haven't seen the film and I'm not sure if I'll get to the end! I'll keep on trying though.

Ellie (theelliemo) I haven't seen the film but I love Alan Rickman!!

I'm looking forward to reading this one, planning on starting it in the next few days but have a few other things on the to that I need to get through first

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee @ Tracey - hope it gets more interesting soon - from what I remember there's quite a long bit at the beginning about inheritance and wills before the story actually gets going.

@ Ellie- my sister is a big Alan Rickman fan but .......I ......find.....the .....way.....he .....talks.....a.....bit.....irritating !

Tracey | 304 comments Did anyone see University Challenge tonight? I managed to answer one of the questions because it was on sense and sensibility!

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Hooray! - did the teams get it right?

Tracey | 304 comments No they got it wrong! The question was in the form of a family tree where you had to provide the missing name of the sister of Elinor and Margaret.

Hilary | 2082 comments Well done Tracey

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Just getting in to this now and I'm enjoying it - I love the way that John Dashwood is able (with the help of his wife) to decide that the morally correct thing is for him to keep all the money for himself.
Keep wanting to give Marianne a good shake though.

Ellie (theelliemo) Mrs John Dashwood does a remarkable job there, doesn't she!

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee A remarkable woman!

message 13: by Angela (last edited Nov 20, 2013 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 738 comments I have just finished chapter 15 and am LOVING every word on the page! This is my second ever Austen and I am really wondering why I've not been devouring more of her works in my spare time? I have no idea what's going to happen but I am feeling wary of this Willoughby character so far.....

message 14: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 175 comments Tracey - re university challenge, I thought it was a bit unfair not to give the point to the team which gave Elizabeth Bennet's name as 'Eliza', as she is called this several times in the book.

Angela - it's lovely to hear your enthusiasm at meeting Jane Austen for the first time. Have you read 'Emma'? It's my favourite.

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Angela wrote: "I have just finished chapter 15 and am LOVING every word on the page! This is my second ever Austen and I am really wondering why I've not been devouring more of her works in my spare time? I have ..."

So glad you're enjoying this Angela - I don't read Austen very often - but when I do I'm always surprised by how funny she is - and then I forget again till the next time! Pride & Prejudice is definitely my favourite - but I'm quite fond of Persuasion too.

message 16: by Angela (last edited Nov 21, 2013 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 738 comments Lee wrote: "Angela wrote: "I have just finished chapter 15 and am LOVING every word on the page! This is my second ever Austen and I am really wondering why I've not been devouring more of her works in my spar..."

I am excited to read Persuasion too, it's next on my list. Her gift for prose is second to none!

Joy, I started reading Emma once while on holiday but didn't finish. I've seen the film though - an apparently the film 'Clueless' is based on 'Emma' too!

I'll definately find my way to all of them :)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
I've been putting off starting this as remember being a bit bored by it the first time round, but it's ok so far - will see how we go!

message 18: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I think it could definitely do with a Mr Darcy - but I'm finding it much funnier than I remember :0)

Angela | 738 comments I'm loving the drama. I just finished Volume 1 and nearly cried!

message 20: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I'm not that far in yet - but I think I know what was so upsetting - you were quite right to be wary of Mr W :0)

Hilary | 2082 comments Just started this last night and already hoping that somehow Mr John Dashwood gets what he deserves for his mean attitude to his sisters. Austen never writes mothers well does she? I wonder if she had a clueless mother herself and bases them all on that.

message 22: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Marianne and Elinor's mother is not too bad though.

Yeah she is ok, but don't you just cringe every time Mrs Jennings opens her mouth! Am about halfway (its a quick read) and am still enjoying it, quite pleasantly surprised.

message 24: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee She's not quite as bad as the Miss Steeles though. Nearly finished and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would too - just wish the menfolk we're even half as interesting as the ladies.

Oh no, the Miss Steeles are awful. The men are really boring in this aren't they? I wonder if Austen just found women easier to write?

message 26: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee She certainly did a lot better with Mr Darcy and the hero ( I can't remember his name - Captain Wentworth?) of Persuasion.
I think Colonel Brandon is the best of the current lot - though that's not saying a lot.

I will probably have to re-read Pride and Prejudice at some point - we studied it for GCSE which sort of killed it for me (can vaguely remember it being christened Pride and Prunejuice) and I wasn't as taken with MR Darcy as every one else seems to be (although Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation was a bit yummy). Maybe it might be a better read now that I am a little older and a more experienced reader??? I have got Persuasion on my kindle to read at some point as well.

Angela | 738 comments I agree Lee - so far this Colonel Brandon character seems solid and genuine. The other's males are all sort of 'wet mops'. I couldn't imagine having a crush on any of them!

Persuasion is on my TBR list too Laurel. I hope there is a seperate thread for that one when the time comes :)

I like Brandon the best out of all the fella's as well but he doesn't have much competition.
This is from Reading Group Guides re: Colonel Brandon which is interesting

Note - Spoiler Warning, don't read if you haven't finished the book yet:
(view spoiler)

If Persuasion isn't a group read, we can always have a readalong at some point Angela!

Hilary | 2082 comments I'm only up to chapter 13 but I already suspect Marianne is going to come a cropper! And yes, haven't come across any miss Steeles yet but mrs Jennings is just the sort of person you don't want to know.

Angela | 738 comments Pardon the bluntness my literate friends, but the question must be asked.....

Is Mrs Palmer on drugs??

message 33: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Lol - she certainly seems to be on something - perhaps it's a case of mild hysteria caused by finding herself married to Mr Palmer.
We can certainly do a persuasion read along if people are up for it - may be in Jan?

message 34: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee @ Laurel - no I don't agree with Mr Galperin - (view spoiler)

Angela | 738 comments Lee I would absolutely LOVE a Persuasion read along! :-)

message 36: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Ok - would January suit you? And how about you, Laurel and anyone else?

Angela | 738 comments January would be perfect :-) I'm on holidays so can really sink my teeth into it

No I didn't agree with Mr Galprin either (view spoiler) - I just thought it was an interesting take on it.
And yes Mrs Palmer is pretty crazy so I'm glad she doesn't have a bigger part.
January is fine for me for a Persuasion readalong!

message 39: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Ok Jan it is - I'll set up the thread nearer the time.
It's funny the suspicions some people have of fictional characters - theres a book I heard of full of bizarre theories about Mr Rochester, David Copperfield etc - but unfortunately I can't remember the name

Hilary | 2082 comments I wish I was as far along with this as you are, I'm desperate to find out what you're talking about, but my reading time is being very limited at the moment by the rest of my life.

message 41: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Hope things calm down for you soon :o)

Hilary | 2082 comments Just come across the Palmers - what can I say except I couldn't agree more. The Misses Steele are quite something too. Can't wait to find out if Ferars and Willoughby are cads!

message 43: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Yes It's rather more exciting than I remember it

Ellie (theelliemo) I'm way behind you all on this :( Been so busy, and then not well yesterday, so my reading time has been severely restricted :(

I am up for a Persuasion readalong in January, though :)

message 45: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Goodstuff - hope you're staying nice and warm and recuperating :0)

Angela | 738 comments Does anyone else find they start speaking as if they were a character from an Austen novel whenever they are reading one of her books? Is that completely weird?

Hilary | 2082 comments Can't say I do that, bet you get some funny looks!

No but I might try it tomorrow and see what kind of a reaction I get ;)

I'm done now, have given it 3 stars, maybe 3 and a half as enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would (or did the first time I read it) but Austen is still not one of my favourite classic writers.

Angela | 738 comments Haha let me know how that social experiment goes Laurel!! :)

« previous 1