Nick Mann of "Forgetful" hosts a Q&A discussion

Forgetful: The Novel

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Nov 15, 2013 02:31PM) (new)

Nick Mann | 12 comments Mod
Nick Mann

I wonder what personal stories came to mind as the story of Ben's worry over his forgetfulness against the backdrop of Gillian's disease unfolded. Does any way have a short story to share?

message 2: by Nick (last edited Nov 15, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Nick Mann

In the saga of Ben's and Addie's relationship, were there feelings that were stirred that anyone would care to share?

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Mann

Focusing on Ben's "Seminar on Cross Cultural Communication," what exchange or concept dealt with in the classroom was compelling or stretching for you? Or for that matter, was there something that you didn't particularly agree with?

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Mann

Which of Ben's friends was interesting for you either in a good way or a bad way?

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Mann

Which of Ben's adventures as an organization development consultant struck you and why?

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick Mann

What personal stories came up for you (particularly those familiar with the DC area) as Ben travelled through various sections of the District of Columbia?

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Mann

What personal stories came up for you (particularly those familiar with NYC) as Ben travelled through various sections of Harlem and Manhattan?

message 8: by Nick (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:37AM) (new)

Nick wrote: "Nick Mann

Which of Ben's friends or contacts was interesting for you either in a good way or a bad way?"

Suggestions for this question include Levi, Davita, Tracy, Ted, the guys at the bar (either at the American Legion Hall or at Davita's), the neighbors (Lou and Han), Dr. Popovich, Dr. Prescott, and/or Beverly.

message 9: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite Blucker | 1 comments Nick wrote: "Nick Mann

I wonder what personal stories came to mind as the story of Ben's worry over his forgetfulness against the backdrop of Gillian's disease unfolded. Does any way have a sh..."

Worked at an Adult Day Care Center. Numerous clients suffered with Alzheimer's. A family member exhibited signs of this disease and I shared this with the children of this person. After some time the family had tests performed which validated the condition. The children worried as much about their forgetfulness as much as they did for their parent. the very title "Forgetfull" and the insuring pages remained me of family, friends and the clients at the day care center who struggled individually and collectively with a diseas that causes one to lose him or herself of memory. One weeps with sadness.

message 10: by Nick (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:48PM) (new)

So It looks like I've mistakenly deleted a comment by Barbara. She said words to the effect that a lot of people think men and women can't be platonic friends. Yet it seemed to work out this way in "Forgetful." I was responding to Barbara when I must have hit the wrong button. I'm assuming that she's talking about Ben and Davita as "platonic" friends. Is that how you see them Barbara? What about others?

message 11: by Bonnie (last edited Nov 19, 2013 05:03PM) (new)

Bonnie Brown | 1 comments Marguerite wrote: "Nick wrote: "Nick Mann

I wonder what personal stories came to mind as the story of Ben's worry over his forgetfulness against the backdrop of Gillian's disease unfolded. Does any ..."

Nick wrote: "Nick Mann

I wonder what personal stories came to mind as the story of Ben's worry over his forgetfulness against the backdrop of Gillian's disease unfolded. Does any way have a sh..."

After reading Forgetful, one day recently when I was leaving my apartment, I put on my coat, grabbed my pocketbook, opened the door and stepped out into the hallway and soon realized that I had no shoes on. Similar incidents had occurred to me the previous week. I was horrified, and began to think about Forgetful.

I think that several lapses in memory are often interpreted as signals of major impending changes in our lives, including that of loved ones. That can be frightening.

I have to ask, why was Ben so "cool" about forgetting, Nick -- especially in view of Ben's occupation?

message 12: by Nick (new)

Marguerite, I don't think Ben is "cool" to forgetting. 1) He's gets himself into high visibility situations and it can't be good for his reputation and 2) he's dealing with the pattern of Alzheimer's running through his family. That has to be scary ... Will it be me too?

message 13: by Nick (new)

Oops, that last comment should have been addressed to Bonnie.

message 14: by Chet (new)

Chet Fortune (chetosan) | 1 comments Whoa Nick, did you "Forget" who that last comment should have been posted too? (^_^) Seriously though, I'm having an excellent read, and will join you guys in discussion soon.

message 15: by Nick (new)

It will be great to have you join in Chet.

Nick Mann of "Forgetful" hosts a Q&A

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nick Mann (other topics)