Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Group Reads 2013 > January Book of the Month Nominations - CLOSED

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Nov 24, 2013 02:16PM) (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Good afternoon, everyone! It's hard to believe that it's time to do the nominations for January's Book of the Month!

Remember to check out the guidelines under the "Book of the Month Reading" section if you're not familiar with them, and to check out the shelves for 2011, 2012 and 2013 on our group bookshelf if it's something you're not sure if we've read as a group or not.

If you need help finding any of those things, just let me know!

The thread will be open until Saturday, November 30. Happy nominating!

Nominations as of November 24:
1. While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin
2. The Calling of Emily Evans by Janette Oke
3. Josiah for President by Martha Bolton
4. Love's Reckoning by Laura Frantz
5. The Reluctant Prophet by Nancy Rue
6. Beyond All Measure by Dorothy Love
7. The Well by Stephanie Landsem

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2670 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate While We're Far Apart

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 75 comments Loraine, I loved that book, it would be a great choice.

message 4: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Nov 16, 2013 04:09PM) (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Loraine, thanks for breaking the ice! :) This one is on my to-read list.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments I will nominate The Calling of Emily Evans by Janette Oke.

message 6: by Rebecca "Rebaka" (last edited Nov 18, 2013 07:28AM) (new)

Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis (becca4ever) | 16 comments My nomination is While We're Far Apart

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: I know you're busy, but the other members should not be misled because the thread isn't current.

message 8: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Nov 18, 2013 07:04PM) (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Natalie, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Rebecca is seconding Loraine's nomination, so there's no need to post it again. Unless there's something else I'm missing. :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mandey1) | 46 comments Reluctant prophet by Nancy rue
Yielded captive by dalaina may
Designer bag at the garbage dump by Jackie macgirvin

message 10: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Hi Amanda, do you mind posting only one nomination? Thanks :)

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet | 2 comments I would like to suggest Josiah for President by Martha Bolton

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: Never mind. Glad to see that a couple other peopel are starting to nominate before it's too late.

message 13: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
I know, I felt bad because I forgot to announce it in News & Updates. Did that this afternoon, so hopefully we'll get a few more :)

message 14: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 86 comments I would like to nominate Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1) by Laura Frantz
I got this one for Christmas last year and haven't gotten around to reading it yet! :D

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mandey1) | 46 comments Sorry! Reluctant prophet by Nancy rue

message 16: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
No problem! :)

message 17: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 19 comments I would like to nominate When the Clouds Roll By (Till We Meet Again #1) by Myra Johnson

message 18: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Cammie wrote: "I would like to nominate When the Clouds Roll By (Till We Meet Again #1) by Myra Johnson"

Cammie, it looks like this one hasn't been out for at least 6 month, but just 5 in January. Can you nominate another? Maybe you can nominate this one later on in 2014 :)

message 19: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 19 comments Okay, I'll nominate Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge Romance #1) by Dorothy Love

message 20: by Shari (new)

Shari Larsen | 65 comments Loraine wrote: "I'd like to nominate While We're Far Apart"

I read that one 2 years ago, that is a good one, and lots of material in it for a good discussion.

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Duffey (betsyduffey) | 4 comments I would love to discuss The Well by Stephanie Landsem.

message 22: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: Do you know what time you will announce the group read "winners" today Just curious. I will request them from the library when I get the chance.

message 23: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Natalie, technically members have thru today to nominate, so I won't announce til tomorrow :) Most likely in the afternoon after church etc

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: Ok. Thanks. We are keeping my nephew again tomorrow so don't know when I can check.

message 25: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
I'm to go see my nephew and niece tonight, love them to pieces. Have fun with your nephew! ;)

message 26: by Natalie (last edited Dec 04, 2013 12:25PM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: Thanks. Will do. (:

message 27: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Good afternoon, everyone! Strange to be thinking ahead to January, but it's time to announce the Books of the Month!

In January we will be discussing...

While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin

and

The Reluctant Prophet by Nancy Rue

Two very different reads, which I think is great! Thank you to everyone for nominating, and if yours nomination didn't get picked, make sure you nominate again in February! :)

message 28: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Looking forward to reading them. I have While We're Far Apart on my kindle. This will start me off on paring down kindle, piles and TBR!

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 75 comments I loved While We're Far Apart & will probably read it again. Also looking forward to the other one.

message 30: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: Just requested these from the library. We will see how fast mine can get them.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Beth wrote: "Good afternoon, everyone! Strange to be thinking ahead to January, but it's time to announce the Books of the Month!

In January we will be discussing...

While We're Far Apart by [a..."

Ooh, I have both of these books on my Kindle and I've really enjoyed both these authors in the past. I'll see if I can squeeze them both in next month :)

message 32: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Just put The Reluctant Prophet on hold at the library!

message 33: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments My copies of both of these books came in at the library today. Don't know if I will read and discuss them with all of you because they are almost five hundred page each. I have so many other books I want to read that would take so much less time. Sorry I cannot join the discussion. I will try to participate in the others for next year, though.

message 34: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Natalie there's no pressure to participate in both or either of them.

I'm going to definitely read The Reluctant Prophet and will try to read While We're Far Apart since it's been on my to-read list a while but we'll see :)

message 35: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: Thanks for understanding. I will read them at some point even if I cannot discuss them.

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 95 comments I just requested While We're Far Apart from the library.

message 37: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 264 comments @Beth: When do you plan to post the thread for February's nominations? I still need to make a decision.

message 38: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Hi Natalie. As soon as I get a "turn" on the lap top. :)

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mandey1) | 46 comments I read both books in 10 days. they are amazing!

message 40: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Ooo, Amanda, that's good to hear! Can't wait for the discussions :)