Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

For Whom the Bell Tolls
This topic is about For Whom the Bell Tolls
1001 Monthly Group Read > November {2013} Discussion -- FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS by Ernest Hemingway

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charity (new) - added it

Charity (charityross) Share your thoughts on this month's selection...

message 2: by Jodie (new)

Jodie I have just discovered this group, and am wondering if I can finish this novel before Dec. 15th! :) Kind of a nice challenge...

Lauren | 73 comments I was not part of the group when y'all read this, but I absolutely loved this book. It is one of my favorite Hemingways. I read it earlier this year, and it changed my whole viewpoint on Hemingway as an author (hated Old Man in the Sea). Robert Jordan becomes entwined in the life on the natives during the Spanish Civil War. He even takes a lover, whom he seems to be in love with in the short time when he is planning to blow up a bridge.

The story is poignant and shows you the atrocities of war. I read this earlier in the year, and the characters have stayed with me. Hemingway vividly describes the landscape, the people, and the situation and it makes one almost feel as if they are there with him.

Wonderful book!

Cheryl | 9 comments Ok so I am a little behind on my reading, but have just finished this at last, it was not because I didn't enjoy it, just been busy.

It took me a little while to get into it, but was worth the perseverance.
For me it showed the complexities of relationships forged during conflict in short periods of time and how people find love, respect and distrust when thrown together.

I really liked the main character, Robert Jordan, you really get a feel for his love and respect of the country and it's people. I also liked how Hemingway captures the banter and interaction of the spanish fighters, especially the insults that were thrown around.

Another book from the list which is set during war which I have enjoyed. Who'd a thought.