Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

The Gabriel Hounds
This topic is about The Gabriel Hounds
Buddy Reads > The Gabriel Hounds Chapters 17-20

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Discussion for chapters 17 thru 20. Please comment on anything from these chapters, but remember to hide spoilers within a spoiler tag. Please note which chapter a spoiler is from so other readers will know if it is safe to "peek" or not. You do not have to wait until reading all of the chapters to comment, but please restrict your posts to content from chapters 1 thru 20, plus the prologue. Please don't discuss the solution to the mystery here -- head on over to SPOILERLAND. :)

Note: I am dividing the read into 5 sections, each 4 chapters long. I may adjust as we go, so check the chapter numbers for each section! :)

ToniS | 18 comments I think Ms. Stewart must be an animal lover.

message 3: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments She certainly is very affectionate towards her dog in the video interview - just absent-mindedly, not making a point of it, stroking him while she's conversing.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

ToniS wrote: "I think Ms. Stewart must be an animal lover."

Especially after that scene on the island, straight out of Bambi. ;)

message 5: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Or Noah's Ark?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hj wrote: "Or Noah's Ark?"

True! Probably even more fitting, considering the book's locale.

Hana | 316 comments HJ wrote: "Or Noah's Ark?" I liked the Noah's ark scene! Good thing the cat didn't show up.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Speaking of cats, any thoughts on this cat phobia of Christy's? It seems rather over the top, even for a phobia.

Hana | 316 comments Not at all. I'm phobic about spiders and I totally get it. I would rather face a firing squad than a tarantula ;)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Hana wrote: "Not at all. I'm phobic about spiders and I totally get it. I would rather face a firing squad than a tarantula ;)"

So I guess I won't tell you about that time I held (very gingerly) someone's pet tarantula. :) I have a mild spider phobia, but when I'm in a good mood I'll capture the relatively harmless ones (like wolf spiders; we have a ton of those around here) in a cup and release them outside. I don't mind them too much as long as they stay out of my house. Other than black widows; they are seriously creepy-looking and have a scary bite.

message 11: by Hana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 316 comments O_O_oooo! Never, never, EVER could I manage any of that! And here I am reading a Louis L'Amour Western and thinking I'd like to live out your way. Maybe I'll stay right here in Boston where it's safe....

Meanwhile two years ago when I was in Best Buy looking at flat screen TVs a video flashed on the screen with a large hairy desert spider burying itself in the sand. LOL I screamed out loud at the top of my lungs...the poor sales guy was so apologetic. :D

message 12: by Lori (last edited May 17, 2016 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori | 91 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Speaking of cats, any thoughts on this cat phobia of Christy's? It seems rather over the top, even for a phobia."

Tadiana: I know there are loads of people who just don't love/like cats, but until now I haven't heard of this kind of reaction to being near a cat. It reminds me of Imhotep in the movie, The Mummy and his fear of cats; the guardians of the underworld. If you have not seen that movie, the reference isn't very helpful but Imhotep certainly can't disappear fast enough when he sees a cat. (Anyone who is interested can view the scene on YouTube if you search: Imhotep is afraid of cats.)

message 13: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "O_O_oooo! Never, never, EVER could I manage any of that! And here I am reading a Louis L'Amour Western and thinking I'd like to live out your way. Maybe I'll stay right here in Boston where it's sa..."

Hana, I've been bitten THREE times by black widows, once as a child in Northern California, once again while I was in California and once in Nevada! I've seen them in Idaho, but, so far, they've left me alone (I've been here 25 years). I'm hoping that I'm not as sweet-tasting as I used to be when I was younger.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Black widows are freaky-looking and totally wig me out. They look so EVIL. But maybe that's better than those little, harmless-looking brown recluse spiders (which probably have a worse bite).

message 15: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments One thing I know for sure - those evil looking black widows have a vicious bite. The two that bit me as a young adult actually woke me up from a sound sleep (I grabbed them through my pajama leg and that's how I knew what they were - shiver, blech). But I survived without too many (haha!) lasting side effects, whereas those nasty brown recluses come with a host of problems. Yuk! I'm glad we're not having this conversation right before bed...

message 16: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Reading about your experiences, I'm feeling very thankful that we don't have any poisonous spiders in the UK. Or anything much that's poisonous actually; we have the adder (a snake) but they're pretty rare.

Just don't pick your own mushrooms...

message 17: by Hana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 316 comments Meanwhile....there is a spider in the bathroom. "Naming calls." It's a harmless one, I think, but it's so high up that I can't get it with the vacuum hose. If I try getting it with a broom it's going to start running away and I really hate that. Any of you guys want to come over and kill it for me? :D

message 18: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Meanwhile....there is a spider in the bathroom. "Naming calls." It's a harmless one, I think, but it's so high up that I can't get it with the vacuum hose. If I try getting it with a broom it's goi..."

My husband, who's much taller than I am, always tries to kill them carefully so they don't leave a mark on the wall - and they ALWAYS run away and disappear. I prefer the flip-flop method, which works 99.9% of the time. And I think the mark of a nice summer shoe on the wall is a nice decorating touch. If you have a ladder, Hana, I'll squash it to smithereens for you!

HJ, this is the time of year that our mountains are full of mushroom hunters looking especially for the elusive morel. I, however, being a coward at heart, wait for huckleberry season because they pretty much can't be mistaken for anything poisonous!

message 19: by Hana (last edited May 19, 2016 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 316 comments Okay...so your husband didn't appear in the transporter Karlyne but I couldn't face the spider so it disappeared. Horrors! I seriously hope it's not under the bed. Flip flops? I'll have to try that one!

As for mushrooms, morels are the very, very best! Do you have them in England, HJ? When I lived in Wisconsin they were the highlight of my spring culinary season. I loved them served with rosemary and garlic roasted lamb ribs.

message 20: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2016 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Tadiana's arachnid catch-and-release process (N/A to black widows):

1. See spider and gasp.
2. Tell self firmly that spiders are helpful creatures and eat mosquitoes and other annoying insects.
3. Fetch a large cup and a stray envelope or heavy paper, eyeing the spider carefully first to make sure it doesn't look like it's considering running off and hiding.
4. Quickly pop cup over the spider, slide the paper underneath to trap it, lift carefully and carry it outside and shake over the nearest rosebush.
5. Pat self on back.

:D

message 21: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Tadiana's arachnid catch-and-release process (N/A to black widows):

1. See spider and gasp.
2. Tell self firmly that spiders are helpful creatures and eat mosquitoes and other annoying insects.
3...."

When I first move into a house, I announce loudly to the world at large that I am very tolerant of spiders as long as they remain outside but that I have no mercy on any that invade. I think that's enough warning, although I have thought of posting signs on the doors.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Hana wrote: "As for mushrooms, morels are the very, very best! Do you have them in England, HJ? When I lived in Wisconsin they were the highlight of my spring culinary season. I loved them served with rosemary and garlic roasted lamb ribs."

Hana, you're making hungry again! D:

I'll come catch spiders for you if you'll feed me.

message 23: by Hana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 316 comments Tadiana, you are way ahead of me when it comes to environmentally sensitive catch-and-release arachnid management :D

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hana wrote: "Tadiana, you are way ahead of me when it comes to environmentally sensitive catch-and-release arachnid management :D"

& me! *Blush* I vacuum them up!

My late Mum had a Christy style phobia to snakes. As far as she was concerned, the best thing about NZ was we don't have any snakes. She would go to pieces if one appeared on a TV screen.

message 25: by Karlyne (last edited May 19, 2016 04:10PM) (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments My five year old grandson just came over, and he showed me his new wallet. "Here, Gramma, just unzip this part!" And, yep, he had a plastic cobra hiding in there. He also likes to check spider books out of the library, but I refuse to read them with him, which he also thinks is really funny.

Oh, and Tadiana, we're heading south to your neck of the woods tomorrow. The grandgirls have a dance competition at Lagoon. If you see any Idaho plates while you're out and about this weekend be sure to wave!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments That's too funny, Karlyne; my daughter just got back from Lagoon 2 minutes ago. She went with her senior class. She highly recommends the new "Cannibal" roller coaster. :D

message 27: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments That is funny! We're just going for the dancing and only have to be there Friday and Saturday nights, so Saturday day we're heading to Bountiful to the dance supply store for leotards and tights and shoes (ha! not for me!). Are there any good used book stores or thrift shops or - bakeries! thereabouts?

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments I wish I knew! Sorry, Bountiful is too far away from my neck of the woods. I live on the south of SLC, in Alpine.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I wish I knew! Sorry, Bountiful is too far away from my neck of the woods. I live on the south of SLC, in Alpine."

Such beautiful names for towns!

message 30: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I wish I knew! Sorry, Bountiful is too far away from my neck of the woods. I live on the south of SLC, in Alpine."

For some strange reason, I thought you were up by Logan - which I think is gorgeous, too. We used to cut off up there to go to Wyoming when our oldest daughter was living in Cheyenne. We took every route we could to stay off the Interstate!

message 31: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Carol ♔ Type, Oh Queen! ♔ wrote: "Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I wish I knew! Sorry, Bountiful is too far away from my neck of the woods. I live on the south of SLC, in Alpine."

Such beautiful names for towns!"

I love Bountiful, especially, for a name, but you'll love this one, too: Sweet, Idaho!

message 32: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Hana wrote: "As for mushrooms, morels are the very, very best! Do you have them in England, HJ? ..."

Apparently we do, but they're hard to find. I wouldn't dare look for myself because it's hard to tell which is the real thing and which is poisonous. I think I've read too many crime novels in which poisonous mushrooms are "accidentally" mixed in to kill someone!

I do buy mushrooms in the shops, and love them.

message 33: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Tadiana's arachnid catch-and-release process (N/A to black widows):

1. See spider and gasp.
2. Tell self firmly that spiders are helpful creatures and eat mosquitoes and other annoying insects....."

This is exactly my method when there are people around who don't like spiders! Otherwise I leave them to get on with their lives. I'm not a proud housewife so I don't mind a few cobwebs. I use the glass-and-cardboard method for anything which doesn't go into my butterfly net, too. Live and let live!

I'm a gardener, so I'm not keen on snails and hate slugs, but I don't kill them either. I garden organically, and so have lots of birds who eat them for me. Any which are left are carefully gathered on damp evenings, put into a bucket, and taken to the nearest common land. I find it fascinating that studies have shown (by marking their shells) that snails will cover quite a distance to get back home again. Who would have thought it!

message 34: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments HJ wrote: "Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Tadiana's arachnid catch-and-release process (N/A to black widows):

1. See spider and gasp.
2. Tell self firmly that spiders are helpful creatures and eat mosquitoes an..."

Snail races! I can see it now... I'm a die-hard organic gardener, too, Hj, but slugs and snail aren't a problem around here because we're so arid. We do have grasshoppers that can become a serious problem in late summer, though!

message 35: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Karlyne wrote: "We do have grasshoppers that can become a serious problem in late summer, though! ..."

What do they do? (Apart from make a lot of noise.)

message 36: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments HJ wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "We do have grasshoppers that can become a serious problem in late summer, though! ..."

What do they do? (Apart from make a lot of noise.)"

They eat everything in their path! They can totally demolish a field or garden in a short time. Nasty things!

message 37: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Ahh, like the plague of locusts! I always thought of grasshoppers as the benign version of locusts which didn't eat things, but I guess there are different types.

message 38: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments HJ wrote: "Ahh, like the plague of locusts! I always thought of grasshoppers as the benign version of locusts which didn't eat things, but I guess there are different types."

Ours eat everything in sight, even tree leaves, so I have no mercy on them. But they're awfully messy when you squish them.

message 39: by Hana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 316 comments Wow! The grasshoppers sound horrible. One of the scariest non-fiction books I ever read was Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Frontier.

message 40: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Wow! The grasshoppers sound horrible. One of the scariest non-fiction books I ever read was [book:Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Fr..."

Do you remember in the one of the Little House books how they came and ate up all of that year's crops? (HJ, were they popular in theU.K.?)They had to just stand there and hear the sound of all the chomping as the year's work disappeared.

We had a Mormon Cricket invasion a few years ago in the foothills of the Boise Mountains which caused a highway slow-down due to the slipperiness of their carcasses. Really yucky...

message 41: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2016 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments In Mormon pioneer lore there is a beloved story about the 1848 infestation of "Mormon crickets," when the LDS pioneers were first settling in Utah, and how masses of the bugs (a type of non-flying katydid) were completely demolishing their crops. The crops were saved by the arrival of large flocks of seagulls that ate the insects, went and threw them up into the lakes and rivers, and came back for more. I have a copy of the journal of my 4-or-5-greats-grandfather, who talks about seeing this "miracle." It's very cool reading.

description
Shieldbacked katydid (aka Mormon cricket). Blech!

As a result, the seagull is now the Utah state bird. :)

message 42: by HJ (last edited May 23, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Karlyne wrote: "Do you remember in the one of the Little House books how they came and ate up all of that year's crops? (HJ, were they popular in theU.K.?)They had to just stand there and hear the sound of all the chomping as the year's work disappeared. ..."

Yes, the Little House on the Prairie books were popular in the UK. I was trying to remember which book it was that I'd read in which everything was destroyed by locusts, so thank you! I haven't seen a grasshopper for years. We used to have them, and their "singing" was distinctive.

We also had a TV series of the Little House on the Prairie which I believe came from the US. Thinking of the TV programme reminds me of The Waltons, which we also had here. (I do appreciate that they cover a different time period.) Good old John-boy!

message 43: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "In Mormon pioneer lore there is a beloved story about the 1848 infestation of "Mormon crickets," when the LDS pioneers were first settling in Utah, and how masses of the bugs (a type of non-flying ..."

I didn't know seagulls ate grasshoppers. This is a great story, Tadiana. I'm especially jealous that you have a copy of that journal; I love old diaries.

message 44: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Tadiana, while we were in Utah this weekend, I told the kids that story! And also why the highway signs have beehives on them. And so then they wanted to know why Idaho didn't have potatoes on theirs... We had fun, by the way (Aly took two first places, brag, brag), but the freeways and traffic made us feel like serious hicks.

message 45: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Why do the highway signs have beehives on them?

message 46: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments HJ wrote: "Why do the highway signs have beehives on them?"

I think it's just that the pioneers were very impressed with the industriousness of honeybees and wanted to urge people to emulate them. Karlyne, do you know if there's any more to the story than that? Congratulations to you and your daughter, btw! Hope you had a fun trip!

ETA, okay, here's a little more on the beehive symbol, after some research (most of this I was more or less aware of, but the "astronomical symbol" cracked me up): When Brigham Young arrived in Salt Lake valley in 1847, Young chose the beehive as its emblem, symbolizing the kind of cooperative work that would be required to make the desert bloom. The state adopted the beehive as its official symbol in 1959, the honeybee as the state insect, and even named the "beehive cluster" as the state's astronomical symbol. Utah is still known as "The Beehive State."

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Karlyne, your comment about "the freeways and traffic made us feel like serious hicks" made me LOL. My husband and I just went to LA for a wedding a couple of weeks ago, and had to deal with heavy traffic on the 405 for three days, back and forth between various wedding events. I told him there was not enough money in the world to make me deal with that kind of traffic on a daily basis. It's all relative!

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 50 comments I remember the grasshoppers in the Little House books very well, and Tadiana, thanks so much for providing the katydid nightmare fodder. :)

message 49: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2016 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments Peggy wrote: "I remember the grasshoppers in the Little House books very well, and Tadiana, thanks so much for providing the katydid nightmare fodder. :)"

description

description

description

You're welcome. ;)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 50 comments Now I won't sleep a wink! Maybe I should think of it as extra reading time. :)

« previous 1